Coffee Co. Vs. Lincoln Co. (dist. Tourn.)

footballfanatic

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im talking about all umpires,basketball officials,and football officials as a hold. Im not umpireing right now as im following my kids and grandchildren who are playing,but ill say this,it hurts seeing what athletes are having now calling their games knowing that we used to have good officials nearly everywhere you went and lol im not including myself with that group.But again as i did earlier say yes their are still a few good ones out there but again as i said earlier that group is getting smaller each year. Oh yea to your question im talking about Tennesse and Alabama officials as thats only ones i have watched the last few years,but i bet its true all over.

I agree with many of you that the umpire should not have acted the way he did in this particular situation, but let us evaluate how the rest of the people in the situation acted. First, he did not say "out" or anything similar. He rang up a hard strike. Yes, he did it prematurely, but the umpire can call a strike anyway he wants. The coach nor the players knew the count, but nobody is fussing at them. The umpire was behind the catcher, so how did she see him ring the batter up. If the catcher and coach were on their game, the baserunner would have been thrown out at third due to the fact that both Coffee coaches were jumping up and down trying to get the runner to go.

Since we are being critical of umpires, let's examine the coaches' knowledge of the game. I agree that there are not very many good umpires. Many situations that occur could be prevented if the coaches knew the rules. A coach should not argue when the umpire is correct and his or her fans should have confidence that the coach will take up for his or her tesm when needed. There should be a mutual respect beween the umpires and coaches. This, in return, keep the fans under control, because I know that they have no idea of the rules.

The coach in this situation said nothing, thus he knew that there was nothing the umpire could have done to correct the mistake, thus the fans should have given a little chewing and let him go.

Edited by TopGun1

You're correct TopGun1. He gave only a hard strike on the pitch and did not say she was out. In fact, he stood there pausing after the call, looking across the field at the runner. He never walked back to the screen or turned his back to the game. Complacency ruled the moment much like going through the motions. Now, if that happened in reverse, Coach B would be ripping players and maybe an asst. coach if the blame belonged there. I can hear him now......"GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME!"

ERA I totally disagree with your statrment on what plate umpire did.He did make a move as if he also thought the inning was over but hey ive made that mistake as a aumpire and player. Anyone that has played the game or umpired has got mixed up on the call so i guess that makes him human also. And for those that dont know the umpire behind the plate is a good umpire and also a fine man. Really what happened didnt matter,we gave the 3 runs coffe scored to them and we didnt hit so its pretty simle that umpires didnt blow this game for anyone. Good luck to all in the remainder of the tournament. Oh does anyone know of a indoor softball field close.We may need to rent it to finish this tournament.

It wasn't the on field actions that were the big problem here it was the fact that after the play he yelled as loud as he could at the woman running the scoreboard, no more than five feet away, to Either have it right on the scoreboard or turn it off!!! It made him look like he was following the scoreboard instead of his clicker.

The ump was so confused he ask the 1st base ump what the count was and with a look of a can't believe you just did that, he said 2 strikes. The home plate ump while walking back to home and yelling fixed his clicker. I don't believe anyone would have had a problem with him if had just admitted he made a mistake.