Crowning State Champ In Another State?

Sidetrain

hey...if that's what it takes to get all of these district games in then it shall be done. I would rather give all teams (baseball AND softball) a fair chance at getting to the regionals and so forth as they were expected to have before this rain set it. If we have to go to Mississippi to finish the tournament, then so be it...

I don't understand if Memphis could not provide HS a place to play why did they bid on it. I was told all this before the storms hit. I hope everyone in that area are safe and OK. But it will be sad that we could not provide our HS players a place to play their championship tournament in their state. I'm sure that Southaven, MS has good place to play but its MS not TN. I was talking to a man this past weekend about it and why could we not put it where the cost of the trip for the schools would not be so far. If they are in east TN and have to go to west TN is cost alot and the same the other way. HS sports are having problems with money now plus girls sports like softball are being cut because of money. :o

The decision to *move* the softball tournament to Southaven was made in January or early February. I first heard about it at the rules meeting. I understand that the softball complex in Memphis where they originally planned to have the softball games was not going to be ready in time. I was told that it was a new park complex which they did not have enough good weather last fall and winter to get fixed. TSSAA was not going to bet on a "maybe" so the Memphis folks worked the deal with Southaven. I understand next year the fields will be ready AND MATURE and this one time experiment will be "one & done."

I talked at length with a coach from St Benedict which is near Germantown. He says both his daughters played their fall & summer ball at the complex slated for our state tournament in Southaven MS. He says the complex is good but not as fan friendly as the Warner Park complex in Chatt. and none of their fields would measure up to Frost Stadium, obviously.

My understanding from our coach is that TSSAA granted Memphis a one year contract for Spring Fling.

It's technically a three-year contract with an option for TSSAA to back out after one year, but essentially that makes it a one-year deal. Worth noting also is that Chattanooga would have been oddly a little better off than before--we would have been forced to fit the entire tournament into Warner Park, which still allows more fields than are in use at Southaven (Montague has been shut down by the state due to inadequate cover depth over the old landfill).