Discrimination? 2 umps for girls, 3 for boys

mrscoach18

A finely tuned 426 cubic inch hemi beats a rice burner everyday. The more iron, the better. Same here. Get three umps and it's my belief they can do a better job than two. I don't care what the boys are doing because I do agree it's comparing apples to oranges judging this case on it's own merits.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MaryvilleRebels

Your comparing apples to oranges. Perhaps you should take a night off from umpiring in the Maryville Rec League and go watch some real competetive fastpitch softball. You say the ball is easier to hit. I don't know the exact comparison, but it's something like that a 60 mph pitch from 40' is comparable to a 90 mph pitch at 60'6". There are a few HS baseball players that occasionally throw 90 mph. There are several HS softball players that consistantly throw 60 mph and a few that throw in the mid to upper 60's. Watch an "A" tournament 14-under and up. The players steal, slide, hit-and-run, bunt-and-run, slap, field, catch, throw, and all the other things the boys do, and do it well. Oh, and the umpires wear equipment, not because the catches can't catch but because a 60 + mph pitch fouled into your chest HURTS!!

FASTPITCH - THERE'S NOTHING SOFT ABOUT IT

no need to get testy mrebel (lol)

your points of reference are to the 9-12 age group.

totally different game in the older groups as you may

know.

to each his/her own, everyone has their own opinions,

but most people on the softball board opine that fastpitch

is a great game and deserves equal consideration on all

levels as baseball and the boys sports. if you prefer

baseball, I don't mind at all, but it is not the better game

IMHO.

have a good day, fastpitch rocks!

nuff said :ph34r:

I had half a mind not to respond to MaryvilleRebel, but I just couldn't stand it.

I agree with you about letting this go, but everything else in your comments is just so wrong. I repect you view, but not your facts.

Let us see how far a baseball player can hit a ball that is an ounce heavier and has 3 times the aerodynamic drag. Impact mechanics dictate that an object that weights more requires an epontenially larger force to get the same amount of impulse collosion. In other words, a ball that weight slightly more is much more difficult to hit as far. Add that to the drag of the softball and you will see why the fence is only 200 ft. And yes of course women have less upper body strength.

As far as wearing no equipment, some down to the Memorial next weekend. I'll let you sit behind the plate and take a baseball thrown at 80 MPH to the chest, then a 60 MPH softball. You will see the difference in weight.

Finally, your comment about younger girls having worse mechanics is extremely off. I have never seen any indication of that in all of my years in baseball and softball. If anything, girls tend to have better discipline than boys and learning more of the correct mechanics. Boys have more upper body strength so many get away with slidearm (lazy) slings rather than wrist behind the ball overhand throws.

Sportaholic,

All have valid points, but has anyone tried to see if a high school girl could hit an 80-90 mph baseball. No, because they wouldn't even try. However, everyone is getting fired up and not realizing that while similar, these are two totally different games. Girls playing softball can be very athletic, but those girls play softball all the time. Therefore, they are accustomed to seeing a ball pitched in softball fashion. Repetition and muscle memory is critical in hitting a softball and baseball. Therefore, it is no wonder that baseball players may have problems hitting a softball thrown fast-pitch style. Just the same way a softball player would have trouble hitting a pitched baseball. I think both are great games, both taking talent, skill, and hard work to be good. With regard to umpires, the TSSAA is going to save money any way they can. However, two umpires could be adequate for softball; three is better, but two can do the job. In baseball, simply the field size warrants three umpires, but four would probably be better. In closing, let's just agree that these two sports are unique in their own rights, and each should be judged that way, without always trying to compare the two. Both sports are here to stay!

Didn't know this topic was going to get so out of hand when I started this thread. I guess I just feel that girls deserve 3 umps in games that are so important. I think the extra $ spent would at least make you feel that all steps were taken to ensure a great game that was decided on the field, not with a questionable call. :ph34r:

grr, my post didn't go through..stupid cable! Okay well basically I was trying to say that Fanatic made me compare the two sports, well not made, but guided me into it. And my comparisons were only to prove that softball is not harder than baseball, as a matter of fact the two seem rather equal to me. The shorter bases...well on average girls aren't as fast, the shorter mound...girls can't generate as much power as boys (to prove this point, get an 18 year old boy and teach him to throw a fastpitch softball, give him a few weeks, and he'll throw it harder than the girl.) You also claimed that my comparing 9-12 year olds was wrong, well I am comparing minor league boys to minor league girls, and at this time girls should have the advantage because they're more mature, however; the girls games are all less mechanically sound (overall). I have umpired both baseball and softball for 5 years ages 5-18, I know the girls can throw it hard and I know the boys can throw it hard, but my point is still this...neither sport is harder, they are similar, yet different. Again with the umpires, now sure 3 would be better, but I don't see the point in calling it discrimination, if you want to argue something about discrimination argue the fact that the Little League Wold Series and Pop Warner football championships are on ESPN and the softballs little league world series is not on TV. Now MrsCoach said in another thread that with 2 umpires the field umpire cannot make the call of the first baseman pulling off the bag too early. No, they can't, but in a 2 umpire game that is the home plate umpires job, and he should overrule the field umpire after discussing the play with him.

And what are you implying QueenBee?

My opinion is that just looking at softball as its own unique sport that it is at the state level there needs to be 3 umpires!!!!!!! Period - there doesn't need to be a mention of baseball v. softball - it doesn't matter ..... games played at this level need the highest level of assurance that the games are called with the highest level of integrity!!! The official at the plate has his hands full, and there is no way one official can call the rest of the field the way it deserves to be called for the teams that have put it on the line to get to this level.

If it is implied that Memphis didn't want to spend the money, then TSSAA should take care of that matter - they know the importance of having 3 officials!!! . . .or should by now!!!!!