memphis. . .

pinkrocker

My big compaint about the Mike Rose Complex, besides the dirt, scoreboards and ballboys was that it seemed more like a club tournament rather than a state championship. The finals were awesome with announcers, top rate field and everything else. Stadium field was great. I would almost rather go to local high schools and play so that you can be in a stadium feel rather than standing around the field.

Also there were no stats for the website. At Finley the guys on the field kept stats and they were posted in a box format on the TSSAA website. Also no all-tournament team.

Those are just some thoughts. Some come from coaches and some from myself. Coaches also expressed gratitude just to be there when most other teams are done playing.

Edited by mtnman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My big compaint about the Mike Rose Complex, besides the dirt, scoreboards and ballboys was that it seemed more like a club tournament rather than a state championship. The finals were assume with announcers, top rate field and everything else. Stadium field was great. I would almost rather go to local high schools and play so that you can be in a stadium feel rather than standing around the field.

The only HS soccer stadiums around here that I know of are the schools that play on their football fields. And from what I understand, those aren't quite regulation width.

Those that have played at Mike Rose over the years know that the scoreboards have never worked. From what I've been told the original sponsor of the boards either backed out or folded before completion. The scoreboards are up and wired but the transformer was never put up. Yes they have had two or three working before but only with temporary power. They could probably do the same now but if they could not operate all boards for everyone they chose not to operate any. Have not heard or know when this might change or what it will take to put a transformer in.

For those of you complaining about the teams generally all playing at the same time. If you don't set it up that way, doesn't unequal rest become a factor? If I played at 2 and you played at 6, and we're playing at 10 the next morning, don't I have an advantage because of the extra few hours of rest?

I ve been told over and over how the scoreboards have never worked. but they have never hosted the state championships before. Dont you think they might have been able to arrange that. Maybe the condition of the fields were out of their control, but surely the scoreboards wont. I thought the ceremonies were fun. It relieved the stress a little. The flippers were kinda cool, and the mascots were so corny they were actually funny. It got us out of the hotel. Next year fix the scoreboards.

My only input on the scheduling is that I would prefer that the semifinals be played three games at a time (an A-AA, a AAA, and a DII followed by the same) so fans could see all of two games. And, with Friday being an off-day for all finalists, the extra rest factor won't come into play.

after all these things nobody mentioned that the "opening" ceremonies were held after half of the soccer teams were eliminated.usually they have them before a tournament starts.funny thing though i saw at least two teams that were eliminated there but neither farragut or bearden.