should private schools be taken out of single A?

B)

I am a little confused(more so after reading all these posts).

If the TSSAA in all their infinite wisdom split Private from Public...........Then they

should be split............regardless of school enrollment.

Maybe tooooooo simple for "tssaa" to figure out???

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gobigred:

You wrote:

Do you not understand that a total split will further diminish the national credibility of our state’s programs?

Don't understand the relevance of "national credibility." My concern is simply a level playing field and fair competition in Tennessee.

You wrote:

DII was formed because member schools were unwilling to eliminate the option of providing financial aid to deserving students who are also athletes.

Ask around...you don't have the entire history. Before DII was formed, which was really created by the privates, some privates were violating the number of financial aid students playing in particular sports.

We agree on some issues, but there are a few critical points on which we will never agree. It won't happen, but if the privates could become proactive and develop a better plan, everyone would listen.

A multiplier solves nothing, and simply shifts the problem.

Regarding the other sports, football is not played in the spring. How many privates won championships vs. publics in the recent spring fling?

Please don't take this personally, but I don't hear the publics demanding to play the privates. The privates need to make a more convincing argument about how fair competition would be a reality if there was not a split.

Privates should lobby for more participation in the TSSAA's planning process, and furthermore, privates should diligently seek representation on the TSSAA boards. Unfortunately, BA is determining the fate of privates. The BA court case has done nothing to make anyone more sympathetic to the private schools' plight.

When the final court decision is announced in the BA case, there will be more bad will spread throughout the state.

Stan,

I guess we have covered most of the bases on this subject at least once (probably several times). You are right on one thing for sure. We will never agree on certain points. Till next time....

P.S. I am sincerely interested in the additional history of the formation of DII that you keep mentioning. Send me that info in a PM if you get a chance.

gbr

I think private schools should be in there own district playing each other.People allways complain that private schools are pampered to extreams.So why talk more just get them out of public schools way.They obviously think thier better than other people so make them better by playing each other.then maybe we'll see the real athletes come out to play.

I think private schools should be in there own district playing each other.People allways complain that private schools are pampered to extreams.So why talk more just get them out of public schools way.They obviously think thier better than other people so make them better by playing each other.then maybe we'll see the real athletes come out to play.

Need I say more??????

Here is a perfect example of the public school mentality on this issue.

My son goes to a public school. As a parent I try to teach him Values. I`ll try and preach the same values here.

Excuses are easy.....Solutions take thought and effort

Are private school kids pampered?? I know they have to pass tests like any other kids ......on their own merits. What does it say that public schools should be split from playing against "pampered" kids? Are public school kids too soft to compete against pampered kids? Geez.. you make those of us who have kids that attend public schools look like idiots. Quit making excuses for my kids!!!!!!!! I loath your attitude. Your`s is a losing attitude which facilitates failure among my son and daughter and thousands of other student athletes in Tennessee.

Private schools should be better than public schools at everything.When you have the ability to selct who goes to your scholl,you should dominate teams that have whoever happens to live there.Baylor McCallie and GPS all have people rom all over the country,and even kids from other countries who attend their school.Having said that,it should be embarassing when a public scholl such as Ruiverdale,Brentwood,Maryville can whip PRIVATE scholls such as Baylor,McCallie,MBA at football..or Bradley Central,Soddy-Daisy can beat PRIVATE school powerhouses at Wrestling.Private should beat Public,thats all i am saying.

Private schools should be better than public schools at everything.When you have the ability to selct who goes to your scholl,you should dominate teams that have whoever happens to live there.Baylor McCallie and GPS all have people rom all over the country,and even kids from other countries who attend their school.Having said that,it should be embarassing when a public scholl such as Ruiverdale,Brentwood,Maryville can whip PRIVATE scholls such as Baylor,McCallie,MBA at football..or Bradley Central,Soddy-Daisy can beat PRIVATE school powerhouses at Wrestling.Private should beat Public,thats all i am saying.

I hear the McCallie students who are originally from Kuwait, Korea, and Germany are excellent football players and that their parents sent them thousands of miles across numerous continents to Chattanooga to further their kids' aspirations for an NFL career.

Now as I remove my tongue from my cheek...

It ceases to amaze me the mentality that Tennessee private schools scour the country for athletic talent. Yes, McCallies and Baylors have kids from other states and countries; as boarding schools, they have that luxury. I think if people would realize (1) how many of such students are children of alums and (2) how many of such students are better students than athletes, that their perceptions would change (if they open their minds enough to it). As for non-boarding schools, the geographic web from which athletes come is generally a fraction of the size that people think it is. Two of MBA's greatest athletes in the last decade (Will Bartholomew, UT and Hunter Hillenmeyer, Vandy) both lived within 2.5 miles of MBA (and had been living there long before they went to MBA). They also happened to have had test scores and grades above the MBA average.

I can't speak for wrestling, but why would it be embarrassing for a Riverdale or Brentwood or Maryville to beat a private school power (in football)? Never mind that Maryville doesn't schedule privates and Riverdale hadn't in a long time until this year (CPA) and Brentwood has never beaten BA or MBA in football. Those schools have considerably more students than nearly every single private school, and having seen some of the big publics play, they generally have more depth, speed, and size. Sometimes I wonder why the bigger publics don't win more; it makes me wonder if it's a mental issue.

Using BA-Brentwood High as an example (and those of you who followed the Football Board closely after the season know exactly what I am talking about), I love how when it's a "public-private" debate that it would be "embarrassing" for BA to lose to BHS and how BHS should rarely, if ever, win, even with a much larger enrollment, yet when it's a "who's the best" debate that BHS was much better at the end of the season than BA (even though BA won the early season contest) and would have whipped the Eagles. BHS certainly may have been better by year's end, but that's not the point. The whole double standard bothers me.

Edited by rollredroll