The problem

Chakra20

I have been on here discussing this problem since before there was this board, and i still stick to one my orginal thought.

IN many of the states private schools get there head handed to them in athletics, those states usually have good educational sysstems. But since the State Of tennessee ranks in the bottom 2 or 3 states in Education in the nation, parents are actually just seeking a decent education not a superior one. So i still lay alot of the blame for the rapid development of the private school sector @ the feet of the public education.

Private school just picked up the ball where public schools failed. This is just my opinion and i dont have a need to be flamed on here, but ive been readin alot of the things here and thought i would reiterate that point. Its time to get education out of the governments hands. Let the kids goto school where there is a chance @ a decent education.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good point Chakra...

Is it any coincidence that good educational schools like Maryville, Germantown, Houston, White Station, Brentwood, Riverdale, etc. are good in athletics.

Just curious, how many of the schools ego mentioned are not zoned?

• 3 weeks later...

I am a little confused, here.

What ball did the public schools drop?

Did they drop the ball by allowing mentally and physically handicapped students?

Did they drop the ball by allowing more kids to enroll than would conveniently fit their facilities?

Did they drop the ball by allowing kids without supportive parents?

Did they drop the ball because the laws force them to spread their resources too thin?

What ball did they drop?

Obviously you must feel that the private schools have shown the path that public schools should take. And, if the public schools are to follow the private lead, it is readily apparent that they must also begin with selective enrollment.

So I am curious about how your perfect world is going to work….

First of all, what about the handicapped? We already know that the privates don’t have any interest in taking them. Even the handicapped siblings of private students are dumped off on the public schools. So now that the publics are going to “pick up the ball”, what happens to the handicapped?

What about the kids who want to enroll after the limits are met? After we reach our 20 kids per class, what happens to the rest?

What about the kids without a functional parent? You would be shocked at how many kids have no one to see that they are fed or clothed, no one who cares where they are or what they are doing. There are kids who just go from here to there, staying with, and eating wherever they can. Kids who don’t even know where their parent is. Those kids tend to do poorly in school. What will we do with them?

What about the emotionally troubled, the pregnant, the slow, what about all the kids that don’t meet the criterion to assure success? What do we do with them?

What do you have in mind for all those kids that don’t measure up to private school standards? Are you thinking about building big institutions; prisons, work camps, or maybe euthanizing the imperfect? What is your proposed solution?

Now, I am not saying that public schools don’t have room to improve. I am not saying that they don’t deserve criticism. But they haven’t dropped the ball. They are at least trying to do what needs to be done. The ones who dropped the ball are the ones who built little walls to hide from the complexities of the real world. Those who choose private schools are making a personal decision for their family, and that is their business. However, if someone feels like they have all the answers for the public schools, they ought to roll up their sleeves and pitch in. There is plenty of work for everyone. Just like in sports, what makes bleacher coaches so smart is that they don’t have to try and put their ideas into practice.

So the Tennessee school systems rate near the bottom nationally. Have you considered that might be related to whose kids we have in our schools? The average person in my community has an 8th grade education and makes $14,900 per year. Why isn’t our school turning out Rhodes scholars? Is it the school? You tell me.

Lets not make this a class thing because it is not, at Knoxville Catholic, Notre Dame, Father Ryan, and all the other Catholic schools in this state, there are kids just like the ones you descibed in public schools. We have parents who go to jail, and I can not tell you how many times I have bought kids food, wrestling shoes, and even school uniforms. I have even let public school kids to our camps for free because I knew their home situation. So don't preach to me, we all live in this state, these are all of our kids, I choose to pitch in at a place where we can pray, read the the bible and work with people that care. So don't bad mouth our parents that sacrifice and still pay taxes for public schools. all they want is to send their kids to get a good education and have a chance to compete on a team. Being catholic does not make you a better athlete or scholar, we take them all.