Why Divisions in DII?

To answer your question completely itzme...

"I would bet that the D2-AAA schools give more financial aide than the D2-AA schools...simply looking at teams like Brentwood Academy." I would like to know what you mean. How can you look at a team and tell how many kids are on financial aid?

If you had two teams both of which had the same enrollment and you were told that both teams give financial aide and you were asked which team, if any, do you think gives financial aide.

One team has a college bound quarterback, a college bound receiver, a division 1 punter (who puts up NFL numbers), a division 1 kicker (who also puts up NFL numbers), a college bound tight end, a 6'7 tackle who is d1, a lightning quick runningback who might run a 4.5, a D1 runningback who is possibly the biggest runningback in the entire division, not to mention many other weapons.

And you compare that team to another team that has equal enrollment, but is virtually outmatched at every position...including special teams. And the second team actually has a pretty good turnout of players 60-65 (more than most teams of that size).

Which would you believe gave more financial aide?

When I see a team that is jam packed with talent, who has the ability to give financial aide, who has a HISTORY of giving financial aide...

THEN YES, IT MAKES ME THINK THEY ARE GIVING FINANCIAL AIDE!

If that is wrong, then I am sorry...but it is very hard to believe all that talent would just walk up to your door step...if all of those men did that, then that is great, fantastic, superb...

BA, or any other private has done nothing wrong...I have not accused anyone of anything...I am just saying, it makes me think they have some kids on financial aide when they are that talented...if you refuse to believe that, its fine...thats your opinion, I will have mine.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you forgot the DI cornerback!! :angry:

As you said, this is not about the right of any DII school to give financial aid. That's a given.

I say again, the only purpose of my responses is to point out that many assumptions people make are just not true. We're simply having a discussion here. Nothing against you, but the views you hold on this are widely shared, and based on those false assumptions.

I already stated the facts regarding the DI scholarship players off of the BA squad last year. It's not my belief, it's a fact I know from knowing the families. Whether you or anyone else chooses to believe me or not does not change the facts.

Many full tuition paying kids go to BA because of the athletic program. As previously stated, they are some of the best athletes in the school, as they are in other DII schools also. They want to compete against the best, and become the best athletes they can. Many go because they want a Christian environment. Many go because they like the academic programs. I think one can safely assume that kids who might qualify for financial aid have the same reasons.

C'mon, based on your arguments, why would anyone actually pay to go to an independent school when they can attend government school for free? (and remember, they ALL pay at least something) It's because they can afford to, and they perceive it to be better in enough aspects to justify the cost. It's similar to why someone might choose to go to Duke or Vanderbilt rather than UT or MTSU. Better programs, and they perceive it to be worth the additional cost.

Edited by itzme

I completely agree with what you are saying.

I went to a private school, played and lettered in two sports.

My brother went to my school and then he transferred to another one...people could say that he was recruited to go there, or given financial aide...He wasn't...he's a pretty good basketball player (team just qualified for nationals) perhaps people are jealous, I don't know. The reason he transferred is because I live one block from that school, and he wanted to go there...so he went there.

If we can get a hold of the facts and figures for financial aide, perhaps we can see that the Super 7 is giving more financial aide than the AA schools...they also have a larger enrollment.

The only reason I bring this up...is because my school has to play your school in sports (althought BA has about 450 kids or so) and for the most of us...playing schools with three times the amount of boys or girls...is a tough hill to climb.

Here's a link I came up with that has all the 990's filed for all the schools. You have to give some information to get the detailed reports, but there is some interesting info in them. In particlar, look at some of the assets for some. McCallie has an endowment of like $125mm!!!:

http://www.guidestar.org/search/

I haven't done exhaustive research on this, but I would also guess that the AAA schools grant more aid than the AA schools...as you said, primarily due to size.

• 2 weeks later...

itzme. McCallie's total assets are around $125 million. It's endowment is around $60 million. You just demonstrated a major problem with message boards. Even when facts were presented unambiguously as they were at the website you cited, you coundn't report them correctly. The asset bar includes all assets including endowment, plant and property, etc. However, if you would like McCallie's endowment to be $125 million, I have it on the best authority they will be glad to accept contributions.

Edited by takedown3

itzme. McCallie's total assets are around $125 million. It's endowment is around $60 million. You just demonstrated a major problem with message boards. Even when facts were presented unambiguously as they were at the website you cited, you coundn't report them correctly. The asset bar includes all assets including endowment, plant and property, etc. However, if you would like McCallie's endowment to be $125 million, I have it on the best authority they will be glad to accept contributions.

Hey...what's $65mm between friends?? B)

Sorry for my error, but at least I attempt to put up something that might confirm or refute facts, rather than the usual, completely unsubstantiated stuff that often appears on this board. BTW, I am not making any value judgment on McCallie's wealth...more power to them, in fact.

Edited by itzme

• 3 weeks later...

Ego,

In response to your eariler post ( I still have not figured out how to use the quote bar ) about the 7 D1 players at BA and if they rec'd financial aid, I know for a fact that the majority, if not all, did not receive any aid. In fact 3 or 4 that I know of started at BA in sixth or seventh grade. A couple of others parents are BA alumni. As a private supporter, you should no better than to make statements like this without knowing all of the facts. Also for those who might have forgotten, private schools before the split were limited by the TSSAA on how many students could be on financial aid for each sport. I believe football was limited to 4 each year. Guess how many they can have now since the split??

the reason for divisions is because the number of kids in each school.

Example... MBA (AAA) has over 700 boys i believe, BGA (AA) has only 380-400 STUDENTS. So if you guess that about half are boys, then there are only about 200 boys that go to BGA. That means that MBA has over 3 times as many boys, so it has a higher probability that there will be more good players that go to MBA than BGA.

there are many reasons also...

TD-I played against some of those guys, they were well coached, not the best attitudes I ever saw, but I am willing to look past that.

Brentwood Academy gave more financial aide than the average D2 school, which is very strange when you consider the fact that their enrollment was average to below average...smallest D2-AAA school and I believe it might be smaller than Briarcrest, Notre Dame, and possibly ECS and Harding, yet they give more financial aide than most...

I am not saying that BA had some players on this years team that received financial aide...I don't know if they did or didn't...but I do know, that about two years ago, when the financial aide statements were released to the public, that BA had more than most, so I assume that they had more kids playing football on financial aide, than most.

If that is wrong, that is completely fine, I honestly don't care about this thread, and I only responded since you sent me a message...feel free to PM me if you have any other complaints, questions, or hopefully praises.

I never said the kids who played the positions I mentioned were on financial aide...what I said was, if you compare that team to a football team from an equal enrollment and you were asked which one gave financial aide and which one didn't (or didn't give as much) which one would you assume got financial aide...is that so wrong?

Let me reiterate what I said earlier, BA has done nothing wrong, I haven't accused them of anything and I won't do so...I actually rooted for them to win the state championship. If you disagree with my opinion, so be it, but it is my opinion, and you can't change it.