Div.II AAA

RyanRowdy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MBA has to be favored right now. Lot's of returning contributors, a superb coaching staff and lot's of confidence. Very impressed with how they grew under Coach Rutledge last season.

BA has many returning starters and contributors as well, but a couple of glaring holes they need to fill. They have no experience at all at QB, two All-Americans to replace in the kicking game, and an untested defensive secondary. Having said that, they will have arguably running offense in the state this year, with Holbert and Townsend running behind a very big, athletic and experienced O-Line.

Christian Brothers is my pick for "Best in the West", behind all-everything Corey Mills, and I give Baylor the slight edge over McCallie in the East, beacuse of what should be a stronger running game.

Will Ryan be better? Yes, but that's not saying much. Overall, here's how I see it:

MBA

BA

CBHS

Baylor

McCallie

MUS

Ryan

But that's just my opinion...I could be wrong! (to quote Dennis Miller)

I think Itzme got things about dead on. I know MBA is pretty loaded at the skill positions but i dont know too much about who is playing up front. I think the two teams that will really surprise people are CBHS and Baylor. Both teams have the potential to do great things but still need to prove it on the field. I think BA stands to lose the most this year because they will lose two studs in the backfield. Also, if Carlton Flatt doesnt when a title soon, I think people are really going to start wandering about BA.

My guess:

1. MBA - lots of guys coming back from state championship run

2. CBHS - return lots of seniors and some big boys in the trenches

3. BA - i think CBHS' size couple with BA's lack of a passing game (we'll see) could shut down the BA ground game.

4-5. Baylor/Mccallie - think this one is goin to be a toss up between the two heated rivals

6. MUS - honestly dont know too much about them so who knows

7. Ryan - Its gonna take one more year for coach Jemison to get them out of the basement but look for them to give a few close scares.

MUS is a team I always have a hard time figuring out. They usually get the better of CBHS, they are the only Super 7 team with a non-losing record (4-4) in Super 7 play against 4-time champ MBA, and they always have a generally sound, disciplined team, yet no DII finals appearances and a poor DII playoff record. They are always dangerous though, and I would say that #6 may be too low for them.

Edited by rollredroll

Rollred,

I agree with you on the fact that they are always a well disciplined and dangerous team and I would usually put them ahead of Brothers except for the fact that i Know Brothers returns almost all of their starters and some really big boys upfront. That being said, I am not really framiliar with what MUS has this year so anyone who could provide any insight please do so. Also, anyone who could give a picture of what the MBA o-line is going to look like I would appreciate it.

probable starters

Joseph Birdsong - very tall and large, got good pt last year

Sam Macdonald - somewhat small but strong and very intense

Leonard Edwards - moves from guard to center, has gotten much stronger

Matthew Barnes - a projected started last year before tearing up his knee....but

healthy and should be very good

and for some weird reason i can't think of the 5th man, which is very embarassing and i apologize to my teamate that i'm leaving out

this line gained some much needed experience last year, and has really worked hard to get stronger and bigger during the off season, so they should be greatly improved from a season ago which was the weak point for much of the year... the only real spot they must fill is center, with wesley langlois graduating, but leonard edwards has worked hard and should fill the spot well