Citizen Tribune in need of sportswriter

JPATS5

hey, for all those that are unware morristown west, east, and jeff co are all in about a 15-20 mile radius. the citizen tribune does an excellent job of covering both east & west football games, and they give good stories in the sunday paper. however, the writer who covers jeff's games does not put much passion into his stories. is he being bias and just doing a job? i don't know. but he has covered some other stories very well. why am i complaing? because jeff co only has a local paper that comes out on tues & thur. and by tues everybody has forgotten about friday's game. barry campbell & brian trent do an excellent job of covering east & west games; especially barry, he comes up with some of the best leads. i can see him taking his writing to the next level. i hope this gets back to the tribune and they hire someone to cover jeff's games and they write with some excitement or the current writer will start taking his stories in a less perfunctory manner.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JPATS5,

I think Brian Trent does a creditable job of providing coverage of JCHS sports for the Citizen Tribune. He has a good working relationship with coach Meadows, coach Sinard, coach Potts, coach Holland as well as coach Kisabeth.

Do you hold a grudge against Mr. Trent?

you catch readers by your lead, period. read some of his leads! granted he provides the reader with all facts from top to bottom but that's about it.

Edited by JPATS5

This is Barry Campbell and I think Trent does a fine job with Jefferson County football, but thanks anyway.

You can't please everyone all of the time and you learn that real fast in this field because what one person likes another person hates.

It's not right or wrong just a personal preferance.

JPATS, I disagree. From what I see, the paper does a good job of covering Patriot football games. If East and West get top billing, it is called the Morristown Citizen-Tribune, after all.

Good point about no daily paper in Jefferson County though. With the large increase in the county's population in the past 10 to 15 years, one would think a daily would be a given.

Question: What radio station covers Patriot football now? Wasn't a Morristown station doing it at one time?

Only Jefferson County's football team cooperated with us at the Tribune last year. Heck, we'd like to think we're the daily paper in Jefferson County since the Banner only prints twice a week.

My suggestion is that all Jeff County fans and parents lean on the coaches to make sure we get the results when we can't be there...

And in answer to your radio question, WJFC AM 1480 does the Pats coverage...I think that WMTN or WAZI used to cover Jeff County from out of Morristown.

Edited by KevB1990

my bad. i got utt confused with trent. i agree with what you are saying about trent in some respect. however, there is something subtle missing in his coverages, perhaps passion. maybe it's just me. but i've never had a complaint about east & west coverages. when i read barry's coverage on west, i never find myself skipping sentences. my question is would trent rather be covering east football than jeff?

The Morristown East beat goes to Derwin Helton. He has done the beat for over 20 years. Every writer has their own style. It is just like an athlete. Trent takes a more conservative, fact ridden aspect to his stories. Kevin Barnard and Barry Campbell take a more homer approach. Their style is more new school, than old school. Kevin Utt was recently voted the state's best prep (high school) writer in the state of Tennessee. So, his psychological approach works with the judges. So, JPATS 55, if one style does not work for you, it does for another. So, sports writing is just a personal preference to the reader. Since, the newspaper is located in Morristown, they do a better job of covering Morristown East and West. That is the main draw. But, Jefferson County has been covered with a reporter ever since the days of former Sports Editor Justin Cress. Statistics at the Tribune show that over 10,000 Jefferson Countians subscribe to the Sunday issue of the Citizen Tribune during football season. With that alone, Jefferson County football is worth sending a reporter to. Anything the Tribune does is better than the Standard Banner. The Tribune has strong writers, so they should be applauded.