Dobyns-Bennett vs. Maryville Scrimmage

dbblood#22

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mr dilweed, what in your view would be the next level in Tennessee. Maryville was the only undefeated and three time state champ last year to my knowlege. So from Maryville's #1 pearch where would the higher level be! MBA is not a school like Maryville but upon any meeting that would have happended the last three years, Maryville would have wipped MBA too, no question. This year is a new one and no one knows how it will go. If this is a down year for Maryville so be it, but any team who may beat them this year will earn it by play not the war of words by arm chair QB's who have not been there or done it. My kids have and have nothing to prove.

flyinpro, tell me about MBA's USA Today nationally ranked team from three years ago and how they would not have matched up against Maryville. Which games did you see, and which players did/did not impress you?

Looking forward to your answers...

Thanks for the updates. Could anyone who has seen D-B scrimmage both Maryville and Central compare those teams. Thanks. Go Rebs.

The REBELRON update should be rolling in very soon. ;) DB has alot of great atheletes. They just have to all get on the same page from what I saw. The center to quarterback exchange in the shotgun was a disaster. The Rebs looked pretty good but have alot of improving to do, which I`m sure they will do as the season goes on. Looks like both teams came out in good shape with no injuries. I will let REBELRON give all the details for the day. ;)

The insider is a wealth of knowledge.

Offensively.

Quarterbacks looked good.Cade and Alex made some good throws. Kat Kimsey will be a good one.

Tyler Gaskin,Alex Rouse,Chase Sanders,Andrew Clement and the other young receivers looked good.They need to get better on downfield blocking.That will happen the more they play.

Antonio Byner,Ryan Tallent,Adam Parnell,Jon Hughes and the other backs ran well. The only negative was Byner having the ball taken away from him on one of Dobyns Bennetts touchdowns.

Offensive line blocked better this scrimmage. They still have trouble picking up the blitz. They will get a lot better as the season goes along.

Defensively.

The secondary is very good. They covered the receivers well. Only mistake was when Logan fell down on that long bomb. Logan had a heck of a scrimmage though. Layed a receiver out. Adam Humphrey is doing a great job. Safeties are very good.

Linebackers are quick to the ball. They still missed a few too many tackles. They struggled covering the underneath passes. But. Those guys will become a very good unit before the season is over.Those kids are talented and Gaylor does a great job coaching them. Linebacker will be a team strength the next few years.Lots of good young talent.

The line played well.Andrew Hodge will be an all stater before this year is over. Tackles held up pretty well. The only negative is there is no speed rusher like Drew Galyon.

Dobyns Bennet has a lot of talent. They need to fix the quarterback center snap.Lamon Williams is a stud receiver.There were other receivers that looked good. Steven Moten needs to run the ball more. The fullback #33 looked real good.

The linebacker #48 looked good. I wish DB the best of luck.

Overall the Rebels looked better in this scrimmage than any other scrimmage so far.

Sure. My thoughts are that MBA is a Div. II AAA school. Is it a $17K a year private school for rich peoples kids who get invited by the alumni and sometimes the football program. If a kid has talent he gets tuition help. I mean they have about one teacher for 9 kids there, what public school can match that? Many of the kids do not live in Nashville and are not from TN are they? Comparing MBA to a public school is like comparing West Point to ETSU. I never said I was not impressed by some of the athletes and young men like Will Bartholomew that are developed by the program. But it is the life style of the rich and famous to be sure, in my view. MBA is a great program and I meant no disrespect, I just fell like Maryville could match up with them any year of the past five years. Both schools have 7 state titles in the classes played. I do not judge a program based upon how many D1 players they develop. Maryville has not produced many D1 type athletes but in the books for Tennessee High school football they are in a class of one. Few teams in history have done what this program has done the past five years in the win column. In 98 I saw Montgomery Bell Academy get beat by Father Ryan 10-7 in a close one, the same year Maryville got pummeled by PC, the last time Maryville got destroyed I might add since then.

i am a student at mba and i will tell you straight up, i do not know one person in the entire school brought there to play a sport. mba offers the best education you can find anywhere. what you said is down right false and if you didn't mean to offend anyone you messed up. most of the starters for mba this year are from forest hills/belle meade/west meade/brentwood and franklin. no one was recruited from gallatin or smyrna or anything like that buddy. maryville was good last year, really good. by the end of the season mba was better though. no one would have been able to knock mba off last year. mba peaked and stayed on top for the remainder of the year and hopefully will carry everything into this year. maryville wouldn't have been anything special anyways if it weren't for carl stewart, and don't say thats not true because you know it is. i saw the game against hillsboro and i honestly thought that hillsboro was better. i just wish hillsboro played its best game that night because maryville would have been in trouble.

First off, that's great news that Maryville did so well against Dobyns-Bennett. That's four pretty strong teams Maryville's scrimmaged and beaten, and two 5A playoff contenders in a row! That bodes well for the season, especially considering we'll be opening up against Carter, Alcoa, Halls, and Heritage, and none of these teams could say they're as good as either Oak Ridge or D-B. It's a great time for both our young offensive line and linebackers to develop at their own pace, while the rest of the team takes care of business.

Secondly, in response to notredame's comments, I don't really care one thing about MBA but I took offense to what he said about Maryville being nothing special without Carl Stewart. What a clueless idiot. Carl wasn't even a big part of our offense three years ago when we won state in 2000. Heck, he wasn't even part of our first state championship team in the last decade (the 1998 team). He made the jump from half-decent back to a D-1 prospect between his sophomore and junior years, and he truly became an excellent running back in 2001. However, last year, most defenses tended to try to gang up on Carl, so we had to score various different ways. And score we did with Chris McCord running the ball with great effort, and Cade Thompson (a sophomore quarterback, mind you) throwing the ball with deadly accuracy. And our defense did an excellent job against all the teams we played - just look at the scores last year if you doubt it; our starters were finished by halftime almost every game. And don't forget, Carl went out of that regular season game we had against Morristown West (at the time the no. 2 team in 4A) early last year with a concussion, and we still walloped 'em (mostly with McCord).

Granted, Hillsboro gave us a tough time at the end of last year, but bear in mind Carl Stewart, while he made some important plays for us, didn't win that game for us. The coaches and the whole team won that game. That is what makes Maryville special; our brilliant coaches and all the smart and athletic players we have who put all their heart into playing the game.

I hate to say this, because I love the guy, but I doubt that Carl Stewart would have had such great success in his high school career if he had originally been on any other team in 4A but Maryville. He probably wouldn't have won state three times in a row, at least.

Go Rebs!

Edited by Philster043

Notre Dame you say all Maryville had was Carl Stewart and that they were lucky to beat Hillsboro. Did you know Stewart had under 50 yards against Hillsboro. Does that fine institution teach you what the word CONTRADICTION means? Maryville has won 7 state championships. Carl Stewart has played on three of them, and started for two of them. I would like to see MBA come to division one where they would have more than a few decent teams to have to deal with.