Clarksville needs National Attention

crossup

National Attention is what the City of Clarksville needs without national attention, you will never know where the money went?????? Lets find the money, if that is the Real Issue,, Lets support our future.. these kids are our future!! Right? Crossup is calling for National Attention in this City..... World News! Local News! Congress! the President... Not having Sports in School is not very American.....Thats like taking all the President faces off the dollar bill.... National Attention... Go to Their Bosses.. Hey Ladies and Gental Man every body has a Boss, and every body has a voice... Shock the World Clarksville!!!! We got your back!!!! We got your back...... SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anybody making calls to 20/20, Dateline, ESPN or any other outfit trying to get this story on the news? They should.

As for the government up there they all should be recalled and then taken out and tared and feathered. There's not a school board member or county commissoner that should be left standing in office with this mess.

That community has 15-20,000 folks stuck in harms way and the local yokal politicians are giving those soldiers kids something else to worry about? They deserved to have their rears kicked. They are pathetic excuses for humans and better described as sad sacks of ....

At least that's what I think.

Del.

OK, I emailed ESPN and 20/20 and told them the story. It took me 10 minutes. If you love HS football and consider yourself a proud american I would suggest you do the same. Hearing it from one person they assume he's crazy, hearing it from two or three it might get noticed, but hearing it from 10,000 and they've got to do something. So let your voice be heard.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/2020/2...email_form.html

http://msn.espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html

Here's the problem getting people outside of the area involved... jurisdiction~! It would make an interesting story for the news networks but they will probably sit on the sidelines until the deed is done and people start marching! It is a news worthy story but the national news media will wait until it becomes a reality or enough people start turning out in numbers to generate their own news! I suggest someone began a grass roots campaign with bumper stickers... something like

SAVE HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS

in Montgomery County

... OR ...

FUND HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS

or lose your job!

Start a highly visible campaign with bumper stickers all over Clarksville and daily letters to your newspapers, websites, and every politician in town from a variety of sources! GET ORGANIZED NOW! Let the politicians know that you will not sit by and allow them to rob young people of their right to enjoy high school athletics simply because the politicians can't work through their own budget problems!

COpy of the article from the Leaf Chronicle .....Just so you know where they stand

Commissioners not likely to budge

County to vote on school's $1.7M request Sept. 15

By TODD DEFEO and AMY RITCHART

The Leaf-Chronicle

The Clarksville-Montgomery County School Board faces an uphill battle as it tries again to get more money from the County Commission.

The board voted this month to ask the County Commission for funding of about $1.7 million, for supplemental pay for extracurricular activities, athletic and field trips and a two percent cost of living increase for teachers.

The commission is expected to vote on the request Sept. 15.

"I don't see it being changed," County Mayor Doug Weiland said, referring to suggestions of a tax hike to support schools.

While the school system has requested more money, officials did not specifically request a tax increase to get the money.

"There's been three times the commission has said no to that," Weiland said. "I don't see that changing, which is one of the reasons I have asked the School Board to look at what else can be cut."

Prior to the county adopting the $2.91 property tax rate July 17, three new rates -- $3.30, $3.10 and $3.02 -- have been proposed. All have failed.

District 12 Commissioner Lewis Baggett said "it is regrettable" school officials are again asking for more money instead of amending their approved budget.

The County Commission on Aug. 11 approved a balanced school budget based on the $2.91 rate. Under that budget, schools got $6 million more than last year, but it was $6.3 million short of what the school system had requested.

At the same meeting, the commission approved taking $866,000 from the county's debt service fund to pay part of the cost of new buses and avoid staggered start times in schools.

The County Commission provides money for the local school system but does not have line-item authority on making budget cuts.

"The reality is that we can never provide enough money to satisfy the spending appetite of the system," said Baggett, who has consistently voted no to the proposed property tax increases.

Though District 8 Commissioner Ron Sokol said "everything is up for discussion," he added that he sees no reason to change his vote and give the school system more money.

"We have yet to see the full budget...down to the actual dollar figures. Until someone shows it to us, I have no clue as to what (the School Board's) doing," he said.

Commissioner Robert Gibbs, District 5, said he too plans to stick by the $2.91 tax rate and doesn't see where the county would get additional money for the school system.

"We already approved a budget. Right now there's just no money to give (the schools) and I can't see raising taxes," he said.

District 17 Commissioner Ginger Miles, who supported the $2.91 tax rate and voted against the other proposals, said she did not have any thoughts about the school system again asking for more money. She said the issue has already been debated and further discussion won't be productive.

Commissioners Ed Baggett, District 3; Benny Skinner, District 4; Barry Bellamy, District 6; Ruth Milliken, District 7; John Morris, District 9; Loretta Bryant, District 15; and Nancy Kahihikolo, District 16 could not be reached for comment. All voted for $2.91 and against the other proposals.

District 11 Commissioner Joe Creek supported all three failed proposals before voting for $2.91. He could not be reached for comment.

Mixed feelings

Other commissioners, however, said they would support some additional money, though probably not the entire $1.7 million the school system is now requesting.

District 14 Commissioner Reber Kennedy, who supported the $2.91 tax rate, said he isn't opposed to finding additional money for extracurricular activities like athletics.

Athletics and extracurricular activities account for $500,000 of the school system's latest $1.7 million request.

"I would support working out a solution to fund athletics properly this year without a property tax increase," said Kennedy, who voted against the proposed tax hikes. "This would be only a portion of what they will probably ask for, but all I will support."

An 11-cent property tax increase proposed at the Aug. 11 commission meeting failed to get enough support by two votes. That increase would have put 5 cents in debt service to cover the cost for new buses and 6 cents -- about $1.03 million -- to the general operating school fund.

District 2 Commissioner Brenda Radford proposed the increase and said in a phone interview Thursday she believes a $3.02 property tax rate would still keep the average homeowner from paying a higher dollar amount on their property tax bill.

After her $3.02 proposal failed, she supported the $2.91 rate.

Radford said at $3.02, only homeowners who saw a reappraisal of about 13 percent or higher would be paying more. For residential homeowners who saw less of a value increase, "there would be no increase in their actual tax amount," she said.

To the average $90,000 homeowner in Montgomery County, an 11-cent increase would cost $24.75 a year -- about $2.06 a month more in their property tax bill than the certified rate of $2.91.

Radford said her proposal would still leave a shortfall in the School Board's request. The School Board voted to ask for $500,000 for extracurricular activities -- including athletics -- $500,000 for allowing community use of school facilities, $600,000 for the 2 percent cost of living increase for teachers and $100,000 for extracurricular and athletic field trips.

"I would hope a compromise could be reached," Radford said. "I am certainly open to considering options."

District 1 Commissioner Sissy Rankin declined to comment on the school system's request. Rankin supported both the proposed $3.02 rate and $2.91.

More money needed

District 21 Commissioner Mabel Steeley, citing the current poor economy, said she would support a $3.30 property tax rate.

Steeley, along with Commissioners Jack Nagrod, District 10, Lettie Kendall, District 13, Mark Kelly, District 18, Suzanne Uffelman, District 19 and Pat Vaden, District 20, voted for the $3.30 tax rate when it was proposed by Weiland. They also voted against the $2.91 rate.

Uffelman declined to comment on the latest school system request. Kendall, Kelly and Vaden could not be reached for comment.

"I think it is real important," Steeley said. "I think children will be deprived of a good, all-around education."

Nagrod said he would again support the $3.30 tax rate to help the school system and other county departments

"I'm not just in favor of the school's having what they need, but also for the whole county to have what they need," he said.

Todd DeFeo covers county government and can be reached by telephone at 245-0719 or at todddefeo@theleafchronicle.com. Amy Ritchart can be reached by telephone at 245-0247 or by e-mail at amyritchart@theleafchronicle.com.

Radford said her proposal would still leave a shortfall in the School Board's request. The School Board voted to ask for $500,000 for extracurricular activities -- including athletics -- $500,000 for allowing community use of school facilities, $600,000 for the 2 percent cost of living increase for teachers and $100,000 for extracurricular and athletic field trips.

$500,000 is all the money that's needed to fund all high school athletics in Montgomery County? Give me a break... the County Commission can easily reach a compromise on this amount of money if it can be ear-marked for athletics! I know they don't have discretionary spending but I'll bet a deal can be worked out with the school board to ear-mark these funds for that purpose! Otherwise, both sides needs to be removed for allowing this battle to come down to this!

Edited by ELA

Commissioners Ed Baggett, District 3; Benny Skinner, District 4; Barry Bellamy, District 6; Ruth Milliken, District 7; John Morris, District 9; Loretta Bryant, District 15; and Nancy Kahihikolo, District 16 could not be reached for comment. All voted for $2.91 and against the other proposals

All phone numbers are area code 931

Ed Baggett

3472 Eastwood Dr

Clarksville, TN 37043

Phone: Wk: 645-5625

Phone: Hm: 358-3629

Benny Skinner

2233 Hwy 48

Clarksville, TN 37040

Phone: Hm: 552-2815

Wk: 647-2818

Barry L Bellamy

1080 Steele Springs Rd

Clarksville, TN 37040

Phone: Hm: 552-6437

Wk: 553-2806

Ruth Ann Milliken

4800 Saint Paul Rd

Woodlawn, TN 37191

Phone: Hm: 647-8402

Fax: 906-3547

John O Morris

113 Little John Place

Clarksville, TN 37042

Phone Hm: 647-0411

Loretta J Bryant

406 Melinda Dr

Clarksville, TN 37042

Phone: Hm: 647-1077

Wk: 645-7426

Fax: 645-7430

Nancy K Kahihikolo

213 Yorktown Rd

Clarksville, TN 37042

Phone: Hm: 647-4714

Edited by BigDogDaddy

What I don't understand and someone please help me with this is why the school board needs that extra 500,000 or 1.7 million to run athletics. The board go 6 million more dollars this year as opposed to last years budget, but now seems to be putting these sports activities in jeopardy so some other agenda can be met. They got 6 million more, but was 6.3 million less than they orginially wanted now they will settle for 1.7 million, but in fact 500,000 more dollars will fund these programs. I am from other part of Tennessee so not familar with this situation, but something smells here from the school board. Please tell me why.

You know as I read The Leaf Chronicle today Sunday 24 Aug 03 :( , I know this situation is bigger than the School Board and the Commissioners :( , I know kids will stand behind their Coaches and Teachers , so lets not lead them in a worse situation. WHere has all this School Board money gone 6.3 million dollars ;) , Where has the 1.7 million dollars of this 6.3 gone??? :) This situation needs National Attention for sure????? Wheres the money---Show these kids, Coaches, Teachers, Parents, Sisters, Brothers, just everybody the MONEY?????? :angry: Something smells fishy,,,, and its not my feet !!!!!! New Cars New Houses, at the expense of our kids education.... Like Marvin Gaye would say ---(Whats Going ON?? ) were is all this Money?????

Clarksville-Montgomery County considers itself to be a progressive city/county. They are always talking about how they want to attract new businesses to the community yet they cannot fully fund a local school budget. When businesses looking to locate in this area take a good look they will not even seriously consider Clarksville because no one wants to send their children to a school system where the children are not being taken care of. I have read on here that more than just one school system has faced or is facing something similar to what is happening here in Clarksville. Something needs to be done! :D

We all seem to have some very good ideas about what to do. The thing is, WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING. All too often we sit around thinking someone else will do it, but it doesn't get done! Folks of Clarksville, WE DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME LEFT. DON'T WAIT ON THE COUNTY COMMISSIONERS TO CHANGE THEIR MIND! It appears (according to today's paper that it isn't going to happen!) CONTACT THE SCHOOL BOARD AND LET THEM KNOW THAT THIS MATTER IS AN URGENT NEED, THAT SPORTS AND EXTRA- CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES MUST BE FULLY FUNDED!

I was wondering why hasn't anybody thought about getting donations from the local businesses that are in support of these schools. Are we too proud to just start raising the money ourselves and hopefully get some funding in conjunction with whatever money we raise to keep after school programs going??? :lol:

Edited by Viking13