Any camera experts out there?

TankTalk

I posted here because more people are looking here. If the mighty mods move it, I will bite you on the leg...hehe.

I am old school when it comes to cameras. I would much rather use a manual Nikon from 1988, but with the cost-cutting of using digital, I do.

I have been shooting sports with an older digital camera and doing pretty good with it. You were able to stick it on program, anticipate your shot and fire.

The very tight company I work for finally broke down and bought the sports department a couple of Nikon D100s, while not the newest of the Nikon series, still a very nice piece of photo-taking machine.

I bite now. There are too many adjustments, buttons, bells and whistles for me to figure out totally. The flash sync when the sun goes down...blah blah blah. Anyone use the D100 for sports? Or anyone who knows what I should set this and that to, to get quality shots when the lights turn on?

I have always taken pride in my photos because my writing was so bad...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tank-Johnson@comcast.net

I have a new Canon Powershot A70, and the options are overwhelmning for a novice such as myself.

A professional photographer has advised me, but I quickly forget most of the suggestions.

As everyone says, the best way to learn is to keep experimenting.

How many megapixels does your camera have? As you probably know, you need a high number of megapixels to take action shots. And when the sun goes down, you will need to use a tripod...in my opinion.

Three short suggestions for taking pictures at night (and I could be wrong):

1) use the night choice on the dial

2) use a tripod

3) learn the ISO settings

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

hehe, I use to think I knew something about cameras and taking night pictures...but after taking a glance at this monster and the book that comes with it, I feel like a sophomore on the annual staff.

But you are right, experiementing would be my best option. I did some this weekend with youth football around the county and was able to shoot some with it at the first game, so I use that as a base.

I used several settings, just need to get in the office and compare them today.

I spent two months researching before buying a Fuji S602, but all of the "Prosumer" cameras of which the D100 is one are similar. The trick to night shooting is to set the "ISO" as high as possible preferably 800. Then adjust the "White Balance" to where the picture has more brightness(just play with the setting and you'll feel you're way) But the big problem is the shutter speed. The slower you set it the more light you get but....you are prone to get blur so you have to fight that battle to see whats best. Its always better to set it high and get a darker picture because when you edit it with software later you can brighten it.

The answer is its trial and error so...get a big memory card. I have an IBM 1 GB microdrive and it will hold about 700 6megapixal pics. Buy three sets of rechargable batteries and just keep shooting till it synchs in !!