Maryville Freshman defeat Alcoa JV

MLREB

MHS,

You guys are the ones that voted BA & MBA into Division 2. If you don't feel confortable playing those schools maybe you would like to play Riverdale, Germantown or Lincoln County. You also don't have to worry about a good gate if you play one of the teams mentioned above, what you would have to do is find a larger stadium so that you could make more money. It would also give you an opportunity to see how the D2 schools have to make the long bus trip, play the game and then travel back home. It's not an easy thing to do as I am sure you know. And why do you want to talk about games in the 70's or 80's? "Don't tell me what you did yesterday but what you are going to do today". Be sure to give credit where credit is due, BA plays a tough schedule with out of state competiton just as MBA does and CPA decided to take on Riverdale knowing that it would be a tough task just to keep the game close. If Maryville wants to be known as a good local team and a good 4A team that is great but please don't wave the "were #1" flag until you defeat a really good team.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correction: Logan Love only punted in the freshman game. And yes, only freshman played for Alcoa. Bart Hicks had gone through a varsity practice before entering and Logan Love punted only because they didn't have a freshman backup. Maryville did have a good game and their running backs ran hard.

I am not at all a Maryville fan, but I do have to say that they have been the most dominant team in TN the last couple of years. I could only immagine if teams like Maryville could openly recruit players like that of BA, MBA, and CPA. Just remember also they have to deal with the real world of special Ed. , classroom behavior. Not what is dad going to buy me tonight. All the teams I mentioned have great programs in their own right, but you can only compare apples to apples. These are two totally different kinds of leagues. Maryville is the only team in the last three years to win them all. They also had to be in the top four of the region to go to the playoffs (everyone makes it in Div II). They had to win 4 playoff games to make the big dance. I am not at all taking anything away from Maryville or Div II teams, but it takes good coaching, great athletes, and the right kind of luck to make it.

I do think that MBA might be the team this year. We will never see good Div II teams play teams like Maryville due to scheduling conflicts. They are made to play teams in thier county and surrounding area. That is why they call it public and private. Private can make their own rules, public can't.

cbq,

As Keith Jackson would say whoaaaa nellllie! I have never gotten on this board and said that Maryville is number one regardless of classification. And "a good local team and a good 4A team" well that is exactly what we are. I consider last year's (and this year's is even better) Knox Central team to be a very good team. Last year's Morristown West team was, and i would say last year's Hillsboro team was not only good but outstanding. I am not responsible for scheduling for Maryville but I am sure those who are do not schedule these traditional rivals each year to avoid playing the "elite" teams you mention. I would bet we do not have your travelling budget available to us. I don't agree that not playing them means we do not "defeat a really good team". Sorry that is just my opinion. We make the playoffs in 4A and then we play who we are told we are playing. Your post indicates that you feel whatever anyone in division one accomplishes is useless unless they have played the privates. I brought up the Championship games of the past just to indicate we had played them at one time and "survived". In 76 it was 27-0 after Carlton Flatt was quoted in the newspaper saying Maryville was a "fair' football team. And since you want to know what i am going to do today, i am going to go home, change clothes and watch a couple of espisodes of Andy Griffith before i eat dinner.

thanks for bringing some sanity as an outside observer ddunlap27!! geez i don't know why everyone can't admire excellence ??!! as a maryville fan i admire and respect all the fine programs across the state , public and private both !! it gave me great pride to see MBA win their big game against TRINITY !! even though ALCOA is a hated rival of ours , i promise you , if ALCOA was to make it to the big game in the boro , they will have a bunch of MARYVILLE fans there backing them up !! ( HOPEFULLY WE'LL BE THERE TOO !!) all that said , it amazes me there's so many fans out there pulling against MARYVILLE !! in 99 when CENTRAL went to the championship game , i know of several MARYVILLE fans who were down there to support them , same as last year with FULTON , and the year before with AUSTIN EAST . i guess some people just hate winners period . either way , good luck to all the teams out there , the better TENNESSEE high school football is across the state , the better the chances the TENNESSEE VOLS have of staying closer to home in their search for the best blue chippers .