Franklin 14 Oakland 3

FHSrebel27

Let me say this, and I hope he doesn't mind... BigDogDaddy was unable to attend tonight's game and has not posted on the outcome because he is currently passing a kidney stone. He's obviously in a lot of pain but I don't know if it's more from the stone or the fact that he had to miss the game. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers and may he have a quick recovery!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You certainly don't receive a bonus point for making your wins big and pretty. Franklin played good enough to the get the job done on offense. What really surprised me was how GOOD the defense was. Besides the drive that OHS got their FG, their offense couldn't do too much against our offense. There were at least three sacks that I can recall. And heck Oakland received some help from the zebras. Should have been at least 35-3 but with two touchdowns called back on penalties and the punt at the end of the game that was reversed to a touchback we have our final of 14-3.

Oakland seemed to enjoy to trash talk and the officials didn't seem to mind. But one of our players says "dude, get off of me" and he's penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike.

Not concerned one bit about Franklin. If we ever, and we will, put together tonight's defense with the offense from the Columbia game we'll be a pretty darn good team.

Congrats on your win! Sounds like the game wasn't as close as the score from some of the other posts, but I don't want to get that started. Whether it was or wasn't, the final was 14 to 3 and that is all that counts. How do you think Lincoln County will measure up with Oakland in 2 weeks?

By the way, on the radio they stated that your QB had 500 yds passing, not 700.

Passing Leaders

Name School ATT CMP YDS TD 2PT

Randy Schlappi Ezell-Harding 122 79 1139 11 0

Matt Solima Franklin 75 38 810 9 0

Michael Fisher MBA 84 44 609 3 0

David Wolke Smyrna 77 36 591 2 0

Devulier Rucker Hillwood 62 38 590 5 0

Luke Jerkins Nashville Christian 93 41 562 3 0

Burton Elrod David Lipscomb 24 20 491 7 0

Tim Perkins Stratford 59 36 437 5 0

Stephen Clark Watertown 38 24 432 3 0

T.C. Jennings Ravenwood 82 44 404 5 0

Dusty Brady Smith Co. 49 29 395 3 0

Gordon Keene White House 38 19 381 2 0

Brandon Janco Goodpasture 47 27 379 6 0

Dustin Dillehay Trousdale Co. 39 28 371 4 0

Lee Sweeney Friendship 76 27 361 3 0

Edited by BigDogDaddy

Franklin is an awesome team. When you can beat a strong team like Oakland with one of the strangest game performances by the Rebels and the Stripes - you have to be good.

Attempted FG by the Pat's was not an attempt at all, as I was up on the pressbox with your guys, and they say they do this rather than punt. On the return, the clipping call was rediculous, the Oakland player was falling towards the sideline, and as a Rebel player was running by him to block downfield, he put a hand out to attempt to mis the falling player, the Ref tossed his flag and called this a clip. (I do the game films after the game for the coaches and saw this play 3 times - still can't believe the call.) This call puled 6 points off the board, and I'm sure the PAt would have been good.

One other TD that came off the board, was on a hold at the 5, that from the film it is not clear, so give the benefit of the doubt to the stripe.

The final TD off the board was on the "muff" of Defatta's punt at the 1 yard line, a second Patriot player attempted to then field the ball as it rolled toward the 3, he couldn't handle it cleanly, then the Rebels knocked it back toward the end zone, when a Patriot player knocked it into the end Zone. FInally a Franklin player fell on the ball for an apparent TD. Initial call was a TD, then ruled a TB.

Final comment on the offificiating, their spot were terrible - BOTH WAYS.

When Franklin can win with the offense sputtering, no points on special teams, the stripes having a questionable game, and a strong opponent - life is good.

First of all Region4fan, that was me that you saw looking for Jonathan. He was supposed to be there, but apparently something came up.

As for the trash-talking, I saw it on both sides. There are several Franklin players I know of that run their mouth way too much, but it's kind of hard for a coach to see on the sidelines. Trust me, if Coach J were to have seen anything, it would have gotten ugly for the player. I've been there, so I know. As for Oakland, I saw them talking as well, but who knows what they said. I'm not going to speculate, because as you said, I was not down on the field. For either team it's not really necessary, but it's just one of those things that happen on the field. I'm assuming you've played plenty of games before, in high school or whatever, so you know how it gets when the game is intense.

As for the penalties, they did seem to be fairly one-sided and called by one ref in particular, but my view is biased. I do know that while the clipping penalty was garbage and should never have been called, the player that received the penalty still should have been more careful. When the ball is 15 yds down the field and there is no chance of anyone catching him, there needs to be some added caution there. The rest of the penalties were pretty much deserved by Franklin. I just think that Oakland should have received some as well. My guess is that next week, you will see very few if any penalties from Franklin. Coach Johnson will not be embarassed by that and will take the proper steps to correct it.

I underestimated Solima's numbers... did he come into the game with 599?

Yeah...that was Rebelguy...I look much better than him anyway. ;)

Wasn't there a game last year, I think McGavock, in which FHS had a lot of penalties and then came back the next week and had very few? Maybe I'm just imagining that.

And yes, trash talking is one of those things that happens on the field and I hesitated to say anything (you can ask WesVols)... it was about the officials calling it on us and not on Oakland more than anything.

Guest region4fan

I just wanted to congratulate Oakland on a good effort last night. You guys played hard. We had 17 first downs and Franklin had 7. Like I said before the two big plays were what hurt us. The Qb got most of his passing #'s on those two big plays. The guys from Franklin are super quick . I don't remember seeing such blazing speed. ( faster than Riverdale!) Oakland still needs to work on wrapping up. we had several in position to make the play, but missed the tackles. Oakland got 145 yds passing and 125 rushing. Carlos had 95 of those. Franklin did a good job blitzing the second half. Oakland moved the ball well the first half, and not as well the second half. Ebal went out after a big hit and our Soph QB came in and completed a long pass right off the bat. I really like Smith as QB. Our problem is that we just couldn't punch it in. We came very close twice, but fumbled it once and lost it. It is bad to control the clock and get so close w/o scoring. That has to improve. I think our defense did a good job slowing down the Rebels. Our defense had 2 sacks as well. As for penalties, we had several as well. They came at crucial times. You cannot jump offsides when you are in the red zone. That needs some fixing. I will say that I am proud of OHS's fighting spirit. Whether Franklin's penalties were deserved or not, is not the issue. They HAVE to improve in that aspect. Good luck the rest of your season.