Charging a fee to park at a High School Game?

WHHS1975

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize these programs need cash but they dollar everyone to death. For a family to pay to get into a ballgame and then they buy snacks at concession stand that is a big amount for a family. Now they are wanting more for parking. People will do like alot do for other events they will park in other areas and walk to the field from other places. Times are hard for familys and these teams do need money but why can't they find another way of making money instead of charging more at the parking lots.

I think they charge $3 at the Cumberland Co game. They clam it for donation but when you drive up the say $3 so I dont call that a donation when the force you to pay. :P

yes i agree with that because when me and a bunch of my friends went to the east ridge ooltewah game we refused to pay the donation, because we didnt think you had to. well the ladies at the gate went and got the cops on us and they pretty much told us that we either had to pay or leave the game. That doesnt sound like a donation if you ask me, i mean its bad enough that they jacked the ticket prices up to 6 bucks, and now they make you pay to park. i think that is just a little insane for a high school football game.

its bad enough that they jacked the ticket prices up to 6 bucks, and now they make you pay to park. i think that is just a little insane for a high school football game.

i totally agree. making ticket prices 6 bucks in hamilton county is ridiculous, hamilton county is so messed up, but PAYING to park isnt right either

Edited by FludDanzr21

Your statement is correct only within the "normal hours of school operation." Football games and other extra-curricular activities do not fall under this statute. High schools that charge to park are still in the minority within the state of Tennessee--but if a school decides to do it, they are within their "legal rights" to do so.

So basically what your saying is that after "regular opperating hours" (whoever defines those--isn't the place still "operating" during a football game) public schools are no longer public? If this is true, then why are people allowed to come and use the track after school ends? According to what you're saying, a school could conceivably charge students who stay after for sports, cheerleading, and other activities.

I realize these programs need cash but they dollar everyone to death. For a family to pay to get into a ballgame and then they buy snacks at concession stand that is a big amount for a family. Now they are wanting more for parking. People will do like alot do for other events they will park in other areas and walk to the field from other places. Times are hard for familys and these teams do need money but why can't they find another way of making money instead of charging more at the parking lots.

Why do you buy stuff from the concession stands and then whine about how much it costs?

You knew going in that concession stand food and drinks aren't cheap. Eat before you go.

I know alot of parents that work and do not get off work until so close to ballgame time they cannot go home and fix supper or eat at home. If you have a child that has not ate since lunch and you work until ballgame time you have no choice but to either not go to the game or get your child a burger or a hotdog at the concession stand. I am not saying the football teams don't need money all I am saying is if you understand some people are working until time for the games and don't have a chance to go home to eat. I am not whining or complaining I just think there is other ways of making money. The inner city schools and private schools can handle the charges due to they have more than these rural city schools. It is harder on some and I don't feel someone should tell me I am whining about this.

• 1 month later...
It costs a dollar to park at Knox Central games in the lots at the school.

Do you think people actually want to be out there taking your money? NO! If Knox Co. schools weren't in such a budget crisis then that wouldn't even be happening. and anyways... it's just a dollar. get the spare change from your car!

Macon Co. charges a dollar to park behind the homeside bleachers..But..I usuallypark there, but don't pay...because i'm required tobe there, because i am a band member...

and as someone said earlier "you should donate 100.00 for..." well..sumone else said "have you seen the charge foor football gear?"Well...I got my own opinion on this.."The people int he band pay more money than ya'll do on the gear..We have $1,000+ instrument that we must purchase, then gloves, shoes, cleaning fees, reeds, Drumsticks, Mallets, pads, corks, oil, grease, and there is alot more stuff we purchase each month..Band is definately not cheap.." Yup..that's what I hafta say........

I know that Cookeville charges, (The Visitors) and Columbia charged us a couple of years ago, I don't really think that a dollar will break anyone, but, it's the principal of it, they know that anyone that drives many miles to a game is not going to refuse to pay even though they don't like it. It's just taking advantage of the situation. :blink:

Come to Fayetteville to see L.C. play, no charge to park, paved parking lot, lighted on most of the parking lot, and only $5 to get in, and plenty of excellent seating. :D

At most schools in Chattanooga like Hixson, Soddy Daisy, Red Bank, etc. it is normally 2 dollars. But at Ooltewah it is a donation. I agree to that ticket prices are too exspensive. They have gone up this year too from 4 to 6 dollars. It doesn't even cost 6 bucks to see the UTC Mocs play a college football game! For high school football game 8 to 10 dollars plus food(and normally double that cuz you probably have a date) gets exspensive for a high school student.