Who has the best Band

nader64

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest region4fan

well it's NOT Oakland! They haven't shown up for either away game. At our home games, they have yet to play Oakland's fight song. I realize that we have a new director...but this is ridiculous. He will be hitting up the football program for funds too!

The Best Band?

How do you rate a band as being the best?

What point exactly are we rating as the best? Size? Volume? Balance? Talent? Show Quality?

Size: DB

Volume: Dun know I haven't heard them all. DB is the loudest I've heard, but I'm sure they'd prolly be in a close race with Science Hill.

Balance: DB's pretty good at balance I'd have to say. Jefferson has good balance when we have good days. :D But again, I haven't seen all the bands so I can't judge on that.

Talent: This is more of an individual category. By far, DrumMajor is the best flute player I've ever heard. The best horn player is from Union County. As far as the others... I don't really listen... lol

Show quality: DB, you all have a great band... great show... but honestly, like DrumMajor said... Who plays classical in a marching band show. I'll admit the approach is very unique and interesting. But when it comes down to pure entertainment value... I yawned. Our band has a good thing goin' on this year if we can only get everyone to work on precision. As far as other bands, I haven't really seen any good shows this year.

Overall, there can never really be a "best band." The whole opinion rides on the "eye of the beholder," if you will. If I hate to give out an award with that kind of title, I would definitely give it to my band even though we don't have the greatest amount of talent, the best techniques, or the level of dedication that we'd like. I'd give it to them simply because of the people. Everyone is great and they always give me lots of stories to tell. :lol:

My mother just pointed something out to me that I thought I should post.

Bigger isn't always better.

UT cuts roughly 200 people from the band after band camp, leaving somewhere around 190 winds and an odd number of pecussionists and flags. And they still rock!! :D

I mentioned earlier that DB would win hands down without a doubt for size. They must have over 300 members... But you don't have to have that many people to a band that's truly great! I think having that many people would be too difficult to work with... You'd be like all tripping over one another and such... But with any size of band if you can pull off every technique in the book perfectly, then you are a "best band."

How do I rate the band. Ok, there's a saying that goes, "Its not the size that matters" So that's how I rate my bands too. I mean, a small band can beat a large band. The way you find the best band is by the crowd. If the crowd are into the halftime show then you know you have a good band, if they're not listening and watching the halftime show in awe, then you know your band stinks.

I personally don't like UT band because they play the same stand songs every year. UT needs to play more up to date songs like many of your dancing high school bands or better yet Black College bands. If you can play some of the songs that a black college band plays then you will have the younger generation watching and rocking to your band halftime show.