clinton's coach - 2004

topkak

Philly would say that for sure. I didn't want to imply that Kevin wasn't a quality coach because he didn't return my meaningless calls for an interview. I was just saying that Coach Shattuck would. Most coaches, actually all of the coaches we deal with ,want to promote their program through the media. Kevin was hard to get in touch with and I guess he didn't see it as a part of his job. His choice of course. I liked him as a person but I think most coaches want their kids to get some attention from the media. I guess he didn't.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCCAT - You are correct about Cattlet. He didn't seem to think he had any obligation to provide info to the media. Last year he didn't retrurn my calls requesting ten minutes to tape an interview, either, and I had to go thru the AD just to get a roster before our game. Cattlet never did even give me the starting lineups. I had to get them fromtheir radio guys just before game time.

In my recent conversations with the Clinton AD, one of the things he said he is looking for in a coach is one who is more media/promotionally minded.

I will be honest with you, every coach I have ever called to help me out with their team has called me back. I am sure Kevin had his reasons even if he hated me he should think of his kids first. That is just my opinion and its not directed at Clinton or their fans.Our job is to promote high school sports and even if its not the school we cover on a daily basis.

I really enjoyed my association with Jimmy Gaylor when he was the head coach there and I have had nothing but cooperation from Chris Lockhard the basketball coach. Steve Brewer at Sevier County, Graham Clark at Dobyns-Bennett come to mind as coaches that understand what we are trying to do for them. They bend over backwards to promote their kids. These guys also win games. In a big time program I think coaches have to wear many hats and I hope that Clinton will find the right man for their program.

DCCAT - I don't get it. Every interview I've heard with Catlett has been very positive both to the kids and community (although THAT must've been hard for him). - but I guess that's been with media outside the county. What do you think the deal was with that? Do you think he thought it a better strategy not to talk to the media?????? You like him as a person - what do you really think he could do as a coach in a less hostile community and with some dedicated athletes?

GO DRAGONS - BEAT POWELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your input!!!!

Poor Clinton football and David Clary......I'm sure you always hated not having conversations with all this clinton crew, what would you talk about??? "Well my boys don't really want to play for me, they are all out for themselves......"I think that type of thing isn't what anyone wants to hear and he probably got tired of makin stuff up to say at interviews. I respect you none the less for the job you do at Oak Ridge, but sometimes its hard to like someone from Oak RIdge being a Dragon at heart.....

Coaching situation.......Ingle was passed up for the job when Catlett came in, kinda leaves a sour taste in your mouth don't you think??? Why would anyone want that job at clinton when all you have to deal with is politics......Politics of who you know in the system and who you don't know.....People FROM clinton FOR clinton jobs have always been passed up.......from basketball to football and anyone who knows anything about this knows what I'm talking about. The administration is having a rough time, but who can blame them, when you make barely enough money coaching and teaching to get by its gonna be hard to get a Bobby Knight out of a teacher's salary. Oak Ridge pays everyone a whole lot more and it shows.....winning programs everywhere......clinton has a few coaches that do it for love of the game because believe me with the pay thats all you get to do it for.

I hate to step on toes, but its hard to make everyone happy especially here and especially with a program of POLITICIANS. Its scary to think maybe the best way would be to completely drop the football program at Clinton, I WOULD HATE IT!!! But maybe thats whats best. SO true Clinton fans take a different approach give a coach and the players the benefit out of the doubt, support them in the decisions they make, even if its not letting your precious baby play or not play, or maybe not winning all the time. 4 LOVE OF THE GAME.......try and remember what that felt like..................

David, I respect you and your opinion and I wanted you to know that. We will have a whole lot more to discuss during basketball season, because thats when the real athletes from clinton decide to come out and play..................The games this year are promised to be some of the greats, right along with all the over time victories, home wins and loses and on the road wins and loses, from 3's to win, to foul shots to put it away, from fights outside the games, to potential fights on the floor from a small low blow.......Who couldn't love the rivalry between the Cats and the Dragons........

Thank you for your kind words and I agree with you about the basketball games between Clinton and Oak Ridge. They are always classics. I think you guys have the upper hand this year but that's why they play them. As for football, I understand your remark about Oak Ridgers and how true Clinton fans have trouble liking them. I assume that includes me. I am fine with that because that's what a rivalry is all about. I have said this before, people in Oak Ridge get mad at me because they think I bend over backwards to say nice things about Clinton. Which I do. Clinton people think I can't say anything good about them. I learned a long time ago that people hear what they want to hear.

Let me explain one more thing about my stance on Kevin C. Everytime I spoke with him on the air about the Clinton football team he said nothing but positive things about the kids playing for him. That was three years ago. Oak Ridge fans work with Clinton fans and despite the sports rivalry we still have friends in Clinton. Oak Ridgers want to hear about so and so 's son and about the Clinton kids Kevin was not a promoter of his players and program. Its just my opinion, but if he had stopped to do this he might have made more friends in the community. All Grandparents love to hear about their sons and daughters and by avoiding the press the word doesn't get out. That's what I meant about that. As far as a coach, I am not qualified to to answer your question. The Clinton fans know better than I.

Diamond Dave,

Please tell your man Dewey to express an opinion every now and then and to please quit saying "In my opinion" and "Good point."

As for Kevin C and Clinton's lack of media coverage, based on what I understand from the Clinton situation Catlett had to circle the wagons early on out there and promoting his players (whose parents did a good enough job promoting to anyone who would listen) was probably the last thing on his mind. You're talking about a coach who didn't know who on his staff he could and could not trust. As far as doing something for his kids, I'm sure KC did his part when it came to contacting area colleges to give attention to those players who warranted it.

When coaches have the community on them even from the start it is hard to do your job of just trying to win. When you are asked to do various other jobs along with keep every mommy, daddy, granny, and grandaddy happy, and promoting your players it sometimes takes away from the job you were hired to do. I remember when he was hired and many in the community complained about Clinton hiring him. He was never given the job of running his team, and doing things his way. I remember clinton coaches complaining, and talking to parents his first year. I was covering a game when I saw a Clinton coach talking to a parent saying Catlett did not know what he was doing. I was extremely surprised. Certain attitudes don't mesh in football, and apparently Catletts did not mesh with the other guys that applied for the job, and coached with him.

:) Well, I think Catlett did more than anyone knows to try and help his players. With a death and a murder of two team members in less than one year, anonymous faxes (I think that was resolved), death threats, and petitions before you can even establish yourself, what can you say? I'm not sure, but I don't think you hear that very often in other schools. I, too, think the negative talk should subside and hopefully Clinton can get back to the program it once was - albeit, you can't blame it all on Catlett - the community and players need to take some responsibilty for the struggles, as well. Here's wishing the best for the Clinton program and to Coach Catlett, who I'm sure is an excellent coach, and given appropriate support, will lead some other team(s) to a level we'll all hear about in the media!!!!!!!!!!!!! (That is, if he really wants to put himself through all that hassle!)

Good luck Catlett and GO DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!