Maryville-Powell

STARSNBARS

Maryville rolled to it's 33rd straight win by beating Powell 35-7. Maryville lead 28-0 at halftime and the starters played very little in the second half. The Rebs showed great balance tonight getting over 500 yds. offense. They passed for over 270 yds. and rushed for over 230 yds. Good TEAM win and I don't believe MHS sustained any injuries. An open date comes next and then an improving West team comes to MHS on Thursday night Oct. 16th. One at a time. Go Rebs.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STARS must have been writing his post at the same time I was posting my post.

Powell plays Rocky Top. I hope UT plays it a lot saturday night.

I was dissapointed in the Powell pregame. What happened to the pregame introduction when the loudspeakers were pumping out "Welcome to the jungle"? I always liked that.

Insider and Rebelron this TEAM is hitting stride on offense. McCord's health has made a tremendous difference. Those slants that Cade threw were bigtime throws. I also thought this was Rouse's best game. I'll bet Cole Patrick, Powell QB, ran 3 miles tonight, but he is a fine athlete.

By the way how did the middle school game turnout last night? Go Rebs.

I agree with all spoken and posted except GQ did not pull the starters early. The O did play well and even got the option right! It concerned me that Clement, Rouse and Gaskin were playing both ways late into the 3rd qtr and for about 5 Min into the 4th. Clement already has a broken bone in his hand. If we are going to make a run at #4, we got to have these kids.

If Maryville had a QB who could move around like Powell’s Cole Patrick, things would be great. Cade and Rouse played well and made good decisions but, don’t move around the way #8 did. Last time Maryville had a mobile QB like that was Toki McCray. Powell also made a mistake of playing to many players both ways; the Powell athletes had their tongs hanging out. Good win for the 3 time state champs.

Saw a few Central players and coaches there as well and thought they took some good notes. I don’t think GQ tipped his hand though; he is really a great coach.

Obviously FB you havent been around Maryville for to long.....Because since Rouse is playing Wide out we havent really got to see him run around in the pocket or scramble at all. He hasnt really got the chance to do it. But we dont really need either qbs to be running around like that when the line is blocking like that. And what did cole patrick do last night, nothing. He ran around a whole bunch you got that right and look what it got him at the end of the half. Alex Rouse stuck him. That was probably the biggest hit of the year. It took patrick a while to get up after that one. I would rather have Cade or Alex anyday rather than cole patrick.

I would take Cade Thompson or Alex Rouse over Cole Patrick anyday.

Cade is a very good quarterback. His interception last night went through the receivers hand. The ball was tipped and the Powell DB intercepted it. Cade threw those slant passes to Andrew Clement and Alex Rouse right on the money. I wouldn't trade Cade for no other quarterback.

Alex Rouse is the best 2nd string quarterback around. He would start for 95% of the other teams in the state at quarterback. Alex is a good quarterback,good receiver and a good safety. He is the best all around athlete on the team. He showed great speed on that slant he took to the house last night.

FBEmeritus Posted on Oct 4 - 08:47 AM

I agree with all spoken and posted except GQ did not pull the starters early. The O did play well and even got the option right! It concerned me that Clement, Rouse and Gaskin were playing both ways late into the 3rd qtr and for about 5 Min into the 4th. Clement already has a broken bone in his hand. If we are going to make a run at #4, we got to have these kids.

If Maryville had a QB who could move around like Powell’s Cole Patrick, things would be great. Cade and Rouse played well and made good decisions but, don’t move around the way #8 did. Last time Maryville had a mobile QB like that was Toki McCray. Powell also made a mistake of playing to many players both ways; the Powell athletes had their tongs hanging out. Good win for the 3 time state champs.

Saw a few Central players and coaches there as well and thought they took some good notes. I don’t think GQ tipped his hand though; he is really a great coach.

i can't imagine a MARYVILLE fan second guessing GEORGE QUARLES !! getting a little spoiled arn't we !! i wouldn't trade their #8 for our #'s 7 & 3 ... no way !! # 8 was a good athlete , but he'd be a receiver at MARYVILLE . got to disagree with you about TOKI being the only mobile qb . TOKI was more of a pure drop back passer , JASON PHILLIPS , SCOTT WILKS , and now ALEX ROUSE are all more natural scramblers . jmo . none of this really matters though , let's just be thankful for the awesome players we do have and also thankful for the awesome coaching staff we have . i wouldn't trade any of them for anybody in the state !! GO MARYVILLE REBELS !!!!

oh btw , HELTON , & CASSEN JACKSON , and a few of their buddies were enjoying themselves last night , talking a little smack with our students !! hehe , i love it !!!

Hey, Hey, Hey--No one said anything about TRADING any of the Kids who play for Maryville! I realize #8 was moving all night to avoid Smith and Hodge, but you have to admit he moved well and had a good arm. He really was not able to find an open man because of the play by the secondary.

My other point was made above as well by SpCritic "Alex Rouse stuck him. That was probably the biggest hit of the year." Agree a great hit by a great athlete! But do we really need QB's who stick other team’s runners? I think not. QB's or WR's should be on the sidelines while the "D" is applying their craft. Depth is a wonderful thing, if you use it. My number one concern is that Maryville has depth and a wealth of young athletes sitting on the bench when they should be taking snaps during games like vs Powell to gain experience. After all those kids work hard during practice and the off season as well. This game was not even close and if Gq wanted, Maryville could have hung 3-4 more TD's on them and kept the shutout. But like said above Coach Q has too much class for that. No one is second guessing the coaching staff. They are the best in the state.

Let's not get our jocks in a wad boys, it is just an observation.

Saw a few Central players and coaches there as well and thought they took some good notes.  I don’t think GQ tipped his hand though; he is really a great coach.

Central will not be a problem for Maryville, although I have little doubt that the MHS coaches and players will take game prep seriously. After seeing what McCallie did to Central, and after seeing what Brentwood Academy and MBA - teams to which Maryvile is similar - did to McCallie (21 point and 29 point wins, respectively), I think Maryville should beat Central handily (4 TDS+). I know comparative scores should be taken with a grain of salt, but I'd be surprised if KC-Maryville is much of a game.

I disagree rollredroll. Beating Central at Central will be a hard task. Central will be up for Maryville. They would rather beat Maryville than any other team. I think Maryville will win a close game with Central. Maryville has a better defense than Central. Central has 3 weapons on offense. If Maryville can contain them they will win. Maryville's offense is getting better each game.

We'll just have to wait and see. As much as Central may be fired up for the game, I don't think they're going to put up more than 10 on Maryville (has MHS even given up 10 points in a game this year?), and if the Rebels offense is clicking, they're good for at least 3 or 4 TDs, wouldn't you think?

Maryville is just demoralizing everyone (except MW) this year. I think that will go a long way as far as getting in future opponents' minds, Central included.