MBA at Christian Brothers

rollredroll

MBA has beaten the then #4 team in the country and the #1 team in Mississippi....and CBHS has a tougher schedule than MBA, that's hard for me to figure...And whoever said CBHS has better receivers than MBA should be banned from this board. Go watch some football.

Trinity is like 1-4 overall (not very impressive, and very close game) and southaven (4-2) has never been the #1 team in Mississippi ALL YEAR.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Keith Jackson would say...." Yes indeedeedo. It looks like the Brothers are gettin` just a little bit cocky....fumbleeooooooboy!!!

Just don`t look too far ahead to that Matchup a week from Saturday against the 1-6 Father Ryan Irish who will be playing their first ever HOME Game on their Campus!

All kidding aside CBHS is doing Ryan a favor by agreeing to play on Sat. afternoon to allow us to put on this historic event and for that we are appreciative.

Quick Reply: MT 'n IL have done "incredibly...against out-of-state competition."

My take: Please someone schedule Bookxood, Parkviex, Independence, Hoover.

Interesting. Did he happen to give you specific games? I did a quick and dirty review of the MT/IL Top 25 ranked teams (13 combined) and I see one out-of-state game. Maybe I missed some more.

Edited by rollredroll

Interesting. Did he happen to give you specific games? I did a quick and dirty review of the MT/IL Top 25 ranked teams (13 combined) and I see one out-of-state game. Maybe I missed some more.

Not necessarily those teams, specifically- rather the states in general...

A little more info:

I don't deny for a minute that there are some curious-looking things at the national level- so you folks are certainly right to question it.

There is an important distinction to make between state ratings and national ratings.  State ratings are based on thousands of games played within a fairly small set of teams.  The data is ample- and as a result, the ratings are accurate.  CB and MBA have definitely been the standout teams in TN this year, statistically, whereas no statement like that can made of any team on the national level.  The amount of data re: interstate games is much smaller.  There aren't any teams that, statistically, are *definitely* the standout teams national- because there isn't enough data to make such a statement. So, the state ratings are more definite- the national ones (how all the states are fit together) are approximations.

Montana and Illinois have both done incredibly well in out-of-state games, particularly in the case of MT.  For example (I know everyone will probably make fun of Wyoming too, but I'm gonna use the example anyway)...several mid-level MT teams have blown-out top WY teams.  WY has then gone on to do well against other states, etc. Interactions between states determine how the ratings all fit together.  Again- however, since we're talking about a small amount of data in some cases, this isn't as accurate as within-state ratings are.

On the other topic mentioned: Losses are not the end-all for the system.  If a team loses to a top 5 national team by 1 point, for example, they're showing that they *do* belong on the national scene- not that they don't. This is the problem with polls. There is no such thing as a good loss and no such thing as a bad win in the polls. Beat an 0-7 team in OT- no problem; you keep your spot in the polls until you lose. Ridiculous. (See Ohio State)

I find this board quite amusing. Once again, I may be the only person with an unbiased opinion to see both teams play this year.

In response to Dan's comments - Grow Up. Like I said in my earlier message, the Russel kid from CBHS is a good wide receiver. He is 6' 3" tall and can run, this is why he is being recruited by a number of SEC schools.

The score will be settled on the field. I can promise you this - whoever limits turnovers and wins the field position game will win this game.

Also, I am not going to get into a discussion regarding MBAs ability to beat anyone in the state of TN. I have not seen Lincoln County, Brentwood, DB, or Dickson County play this year.

cb56,

Trinity lost to MBA, the #14 team in the nation...St. X in overtime, a team that consistantly finishes in the top 25 nationally...and two other games by a total of 4 points.

South Haven was ranked #1 in MS until the loss to MBA dropped them to #4. They have a top 5 safety recruit according to theInsiders and a line that averages 280 across, including 2 division one recruits. Brothers size is nothing new for MBA. Its MBA's speed and schemes that traditionally give the brothers trouble. I personally beieve its gonna be 99 all over again, but good luck to both teams and we'll see on friday.

Edited by Redtwin

If you dont mind BigRedDog, I'd like to pick your brain for just a second. cb56 was simply stating his opinion like everyone else on this board. It do not see how this could possibly attest to the class, let alone intelligence, of our football team. Now that BigRedDog has managed to make a BigRed@$$ out himself, is it possible that he will return to the topic of football and give up his vain attempts of slandering the character of the Christian Brothers' players?

OK guys, let's keep the trash talk down. No need to tarnish what is shaping up to be a great game.

I sometimes wonder about the big predictions in MBA's favor in this game. One has to wonder how many posts are genuine and how many are posted to get CBHS fired up. I'm not a big fan of giving talented teams like CBHS bulletin board material - they will be tough enough as it is.

Ned, regarding the unapproved website ratings, I guess one could say that there is no such thing as bad publicity. While the ratings may be subjected to shots every now and then, I think the site has a great platform, and I will continue to monitor it. I take comfort in your assessment that the state ratings are probably much more accurate than the national ratings (I can understand how difficult it is to assimilate 50 states' worth of data). I think the Tennessee ratings will be pretty close come playoff time. As 64TNChamp referenced earlier, it would be great if some sort of "intrinsic" value could be added to a team's database (perhaps with help from state sites like coacht.com). For example, Maryville (TN) was ranked 38th in the state (or thereabouts) last time I looked. Maryville has won 3 of the past 4 titles on the I-4A level, 33 games in a row, and has a fundamentally sound team and staff. I'm pretty confident they are a Top 10 in the state. However, they do play mediocre competition in the regular season. Will their relatively weak schedule keep them from being ranked much higher? They have won some big games in the semifinals and finals, but I was curious as to whether or not the unapproved website ratings system determines that a team is not "battle-tested" enough during the regular season to be considered among the elite amongst all classifications.

Once again, rankings are just rankings, and there is much more to football than paper polls and statistics. However, I do like the analytical side of determining football superiority and appreciate your feedback as to how unapproved website works.

Roll Red Roll