FHSrebel27

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one.....the first Franklin vs. Brentwood game I ever saw.

It was probably around 1994 or so. Give or take a couple years. I remember my neighbor Dieon "Prime Time" Sanders was a FB and LB for the Rebs and there was a big DE that they called Doone Buggy. Greg Flye was the QB (I think?) that year and was tossing it everywhere, with alot of them going to Tory Lane. Franklin won a close game that year and I remember leaving the game not being able to wait till I was old enough to be a Rebel......who'd have thought?

It was 2000 the last time Franklin won... spoiled the end of Brentwood's season a little bit... the Bruins still made the quarterfinals but lost to Riverdale... Franklin finished 5-5... then finished 5-5 in 2001... the turnaround has been quick for the Rebels... most of it can be attributed to coaching... a lot of it is attitude, though... this is just what I'm told from people around Franklin... they see a big difference in these teams the last two years and the ones prior... that has helped them move up to that upper echelon of the region... can they stay? who knows...

I'm pretty sure Bud Adams was going to give Sperduto the job when he (Adams) brought the AFL back. I don't think Adams and Gaylord got along too well thogh and that's why it hasn't come back.

Back to Franklin-Brentwood though as we're nearing kickoff. OK, well it's a couple days away but that's not long! I close tonight with a couple Brentwood students- I won't be talking to them!

Look, here's the deal. Franklin's offense is too good for the Bruin D, I feel. Solima can get away from a pass rush and it's hard to bring him down. One guy (Moore) can't contain our three WR threats. However, I do see Brentwood's defense possibly being able to stop the running game. But, Hammond and Waters can break a big one on ya real quick if you're not careful.

When Franklin throws: Advantage Franklin

When Franklin runs: Advantage Brentwood

When Brentwood throws: Advantage Franklin (good secondary at FHS and Welch just isn't that good).

When Brentwood runs: Advantage Brentwood

Special Teams: HUGE Advantage Franklin

Coaching/Intangibles: Advantage EVEN (It's a huge rivalry game, throw it out the window!)

In my opinion, you're not going to win a game just running the ball. Centennial didn't. The key will be is Franklin's running game can get going. If it does, then my 35-20 prediction might just hold up.

FHSRebel27....I have a problem with your breakdown, but don't worry. You'll like it.

The running game assesments you made were innaccurate. Brentwood's running game is stout, I aggree, but the personnel matchups will favor the Rebels. Brentwood's backs are big, strong kids that aren't going to outrun you to the corner and break it. Van Horne and Fugate will pound you, not burn you. I dont think that is going to work with Franklin. They wont have enough room to get any steam going because of the team speed of the Rebs. Too many hits in too small of an area to get moving.

When Franklin runs, they may again have an advantage. I think the Rebel rushing game is underrated. And the Brentwood run defense is not what it was last year. Cover up Van Horne and run it right at them. They're well coached with angles, so running outside isn't a great idea, but to run it right at them and smack them in the mouth is your best bet. I'd say Brentwood's run defense is better then their run offense, but is still beatable.

I wish I had the time to sit down and look at how many rushing yards BHS has givne up... until I personally see otherwise, I'm gonna say they're good enough to slow us down at least. Again, I won't be surprised if Hammond or Waters breaks for a huge play (or if they both do). Perhaps I'll change it to:

When Franklin runs the ball: EVEN

And I'm a huge Fugate fan and I've seen our defense against the run not be able to do so well at points this season. We've been pounded and pounded. Luckily, we've kept people out of the endzone. So I'm sticking with the edge to Brentwood there.

Boooo!!! Actually, I'm happy the Tennessean picked against us. Show 'em what it's like to lose Franklin!!!

"They always find a way to win. They don't know how to lose,'' Franklin senior receiver Ryan Nichols said of Brentwood. ''But we're going to show them how to lose. It's my senior year, and I don't want to lose to them another game.''