Vol Network Broadcast

swamp

I was out in the car for a lot of the first half against Auburn. I could vaguely tell what was going on and I remembered the score, but Kesling never gives the score nor the clock. Can't we do better?

Yes swamp...but John Ward won't come back and Mike Keith won't leave the Titans.

Bring on John Wilkerson...the NEXT Voice of the Vols!!!!

Bob Kesling does an outstanding job behind the mic, and I will not sit by and hear him bashed without responding. He has provided me with invaluable opportunities in the realm of broadcasting here at UT, and let me assure you that as someone whose aspirations involve his job, I can assure you that Kesling is fantastic at what he does.

Sorry Wes, but I can't sit here and not say this.

Bob Kesling is about as bad an announcer as I've ever heard. And even beyond that, he's not a nice guy to folks in general.

Case in point: I was at the 93 Hall of Fame Bowl in Tampa with the UT Band and we were staying in Clearwater (which I might say is my favorite beach). Kesling was down there and not ONCE did he speak when we recognized him and tried to make small talk. And even worse, while on the beach one of the band members accidentally hit Kesling with a frisbee. He got all huffy and tossed it further down the beach.

Not exactly my vision of the guy that was to be the heir apparent to the great John Ward; who was a classy man in every sense of the word. He made time to talk with us on game day several times in my two years down there and was always cordial when recognized.

Kesling lacks in many facets as far as I'm concerned. Things may have changed in 10 years, but the time I remember left a bad impression and like that silly Head and Shoulders commercial said:

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression." :D

Edited by KevB1990

Sorry Wes, but I can't sit here and not say this.

Bob Kesling is about as bad an announcer as I've ever heard. And even beyond that, he's not a nice guy to folks in general.

Case in point: I was at the 93 Hall of Fame Bowl in Tampa with the UT Band and we were staying in Clearwater (which I might say is my favorite beach). Kesling was down there and not ONCE did he speak when we recognized him and tried to make small talk. And even worse, while on the beach one of the band members accidentally hit Kesling with a frisbee. He got all huffy and tossed it further down the beach.

Not exactly my vision of the guy that was to be the heir apparent to the great John Ward; who was a classy man in every sense of the word. He made time to talk with us on game day several times in my two years down there and was always cordial when recognized.

Kesling lacks in many facets as far as I'm concerned. Things may have changed in 10 years, but the time I remember left a bad impression and like that silly Head and Shoulders commercial said:

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression." :D

Perhaps I should clarify my post a bit.

I work with Bob every day as an intern with the Vol Network. I am also taking broadcasting classes and have analyzed myriad sportscasters with the intention of becoming one myself.

Regarding your dislike of him as a broadcaster, I must say that in my opinion he is the consummate professional both inside and outside the booth...he is precise, respectful, and extremely dedicated, three of the most significant facets of the broadcasting profession. You can't ask for much more than that. Still, many complain about some aspect or another of his style. But let's face it, many Vol fans (including myself) are accustomed to John Ward's way of doing things, which was certainly legendary. He made me want to be the Voice of the Vols to begin with. Therefore, it's often hard for our ears to adjust to a different style. Bob's way of doing things is not the same as John Ward's -- that's a fact. But that doesn't make it better or worse.

As far as your dislike of his character goes, let me put your qualms to rest. I work in his office 5 days a week and work for him on home game days, and have never met a more cordial person on the job. He is extremely personable, and never complains about signing autographs or conversing with fans. I met him at the UT All-sports Picnic 3 years ago and he offered to help me in any way possible; I then shadowed him for 3 days the following winter and now serve as an intern with the Vol Network. You can't convince me that he's a bad person, because I see him on a daily basis and will gladly say otherwise.

It's your opinion, and you're welcome to it...but if you worked with him frequently you might see things otherwise.

Go Vols!!

I have to say I agree with most that Bob Kesling is not a good RADIO play-by-play man he does fine on TV but not radio. Kesling is a nice guy but he is not the answer for the Vol Radio Network. I think we should find out how Dr. Jerry Punch can do Radio play-by-play he now lives in Knoxville and was at the UT-SC game as a fan!

***On a side note Wes will the Vol Network be doing any game broadcasts of the BBall trip to the Dominican Republic?