HOW MANY BOWL GAMES OF THE PAST DO YOU REMEMBER?

footballfan007

Governor's Bowl at William Blount..

One year WB(5A) hosted Volunteer (3A)

Unbiased,

At first, being a fan of the program since it's inception, I was going to correct you and say thay you were mistaken. But then I remembered it !!! You're absolutely right.

The one year you remember is the only year it ever took place in the 25 year football history of William Blount. Many called it the "Fickert Bowl." Reason being ... Steve Fickert was coach, his team didn't qualify for the play-offs, and many felt like he wanted to give his son, the Gov's stud running back, one more chance to pad his numbers.

Coach Fickert was gone not long after that ... and with him, the "Governor's Bowl."

But thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about it.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we remember Bowl games. Milan had the Jaycee Bowl, Humboldt had the Strawberry Bowl. Jackson Northside had the Lions Sight Bowl. I'd rather the threes and fours out the regions were going to bowls than wasting there time in the playoffs, miss the old days when if you didn't win the district or come in second you were out. However in these parts the "bowls" have now become an important deal for middle schools , so is progress............beezer

The Blanket Bowl? Is that the same as the Mid State Bowl? Fayetteville Central played in the Mid State Bowl in 1969 & 1970. I thought it was in Lebanon but I could be wrong. I do know this though. Central played Hillsboro in 1969 and Gallatin in 1970. They lost both games. All the players on both teams received blankets. Does anybody remember anything about this?

The Greeneville Lions Club sponsored a Tobacco Bowl in the 50s and 60s. Here are Greeneville's results.

1952 Tobacco Bowl GHS v. Spring City L 19-20 at Greeneville

1954 Tobacco Bowl GHS v. Knox West T 13-13 at Greeneville

1955 Tobacco Bowl GHS v. Knox Central L 7-14 at Greeneville

1958 Tobacco Bowl GHS v.Erwin W 13-0 at Erwin

1959 Quarterback Bowl GHS v. Church Hill L 14-18 at Greeneville

1961 Tobacco Bowl GHS v. Knox. East W 20-7 at Greeneville

1962 Tobacco Bowl GHS v. Erwin W 19-12 at Greeneville

1963 Tobacco Bowl GHS v. Jefferson City W 21-6 at Greeneville

1964 Tobacco Bowl GHS v. Knox Fulton W 12-7 at Greeneville

1984 Scholar's Bowl GHS v. Sullivan South L 21-24 at Johnson City

1992 Scholar's Bowl GHS v. Dob. Bennett L 13-27 Jat ohnson City

• 4 weeks later...
The Blanket Bowl? Is that the same as the Mid State Bowl? Fayetteville Central played in the Mid State Bowl in 1969 & 1970. I thought it was in Lebanon but I could be wrong. I do know this though. Central played Hillsboro in 1969 and Gallatin in 1970. They lost both games. All the players on both teams received blankets. Does anybody remember anything about this?

I remember them very well. I was a cheerleader for Fayetteville Central then.

Never heard of the Blanket Bowl, but I do remember the Mid State Bowls. I just do not remember where we played.

When my brother played at Forrest back in the late 60"s, we went to the Blanket Bowl (he was MVP twice, I think) in Springfield (went there several times in 60's and 70's), and one year to the Capitol Bowl somewhere in Nashville ( I was young, don't remember exactly where) In the fall of 75 we (Forrest) played at the Crockett Bowl in Lawrenceburg.

Does anyone remember the Gordon Browning Bowl? I remember Cwood playing there when I was in Jr. High. I dont remember where it was or who the High School played. Do you?

The 1974 Gordon Browning Bowl was the first bowl game that Clarksville Academy played in. The opponent was Bruceton with CA winning. The next year, which was my senior year, we played in the 1st Annual Barrel Bowl in Lynchburg against Spring Hill and won that contest.