Is MBA the best team in state?

BigOrange 3

I believe MBA IS the best team in the state. Those that don't think MBA is the best are very biast in their decision. This MBA team has proven week in and week out that they are the best and have shown no signs of a let down. Those that think that Milan or CPA is the best are wrong. Both Milan and CPA are very good teams but not the best. If you was to line either one of these teams up against MBA they would not beat them, in my mind it wouldn't be that close. But for the record, YES, MBA is the best in the state!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Milan team you were referring to is the 1981 Milan team with Jeff Smith, who went to UT. Speaking of "Smith" wasn't there a Smith who played on that 1986 team that started on the Offensive line at UT? Larry Smith, I think?

In a nutshell, schools like Marion County,Milan, Alcoa, Marshall County, Austin East, etc. do not have any business playing "Cupcake High" in these 3A and below classifications. Reclassification has hurt these programs tremendously. These were once teams that contended with BA and won, even when BA had wonderful teams, many nationally ranked. I would put these programs in the 1980's- early 1990's against any of the 5A "big boys" of today, and my money would be on the above teams coming out the victor.

8 state champs is the politically correct way of letting everyone feel good about themselves.

As a Milan player and alumni, do you really think the Milan teams of today could have even come close to the Milan teams of old? I think not.

Reclassification has hurt the quality of football played in these schools. They now have to contend with "cupcake high". 3A and 2A is pretty obscure football. You have no where near the competition of the past. In retrospect, every game in the Super 7 is a potential loss when the private schools take the field. If you have not gone to see a BA vs. MBA game, it is something to behold. BA drums MBA last year by 30 points in the regular season, then MBA drums BA bad in the state championship to where it was embarrasing. The competition in the Super 7 has made these programs even better. The Super 7 has no "cupcake high" to contend with.

Yeah, the 86' team sent 3 to UT and was the best team ever at Milan. We didn't have the passing game that we have now and that hurt us when BA beat us that year. We didn't need a passing game with Earnest Fields running behind Fisher and Smith. I will never forget that game and Scott Speedy was a player.

The team we have this year is the closest I have seen to that team or the 77' team. We will struggle next year because we are losing a ton of seniors who have been starting for 3 years but we should be in good shape for 05'.

I wish it was still A, AA, and AAA and everyone played together. I agree that you get better by playing better teams and we try to schedule it as tough as possible but it's not like it used to be. If we didn't have to play the BA's and MUS's back then, Milan would probably have 4 more state titles.

I believe MBA IS the best team in the state. Those that don't think MBA is the best are very biast in their decision. This MBA team has proven week in and week out that they are the best and have shown no signs of a let down. Those that think that Milan or CPA is the best are wrong. Both Milan and CPA are very good teams but not the best. If you was to line either one of these teams up against MBA they would not beat them, in my mind it wouldn't be that close. But for the record, YES, MBA is the best in the state!

I never said Milan had the best team. We probaby aren't even in the top 10 in all classifications but we are good enough to beat a lot of the better teams if you overlooked us. I am just trying to make the point that MBA can be beat and that's a fact. Milan or anyone else would probably lose to them 95% of the time but eventually they would beat them.

The Milan team you were referring to is the 1981 Milan team with Jeff Smith, who went to UT.  Speaking of "Smith" wasn't there a Smith who played on that 1986 team that started on the Offensive line at UT?  Larry Smith, I think?

In a nutshell, schools like Marion County,Milan, Alcoa, Marshall County, Austin East, etc. do not have any business playing "Cupcake High" in these 3A and below classifications.  Reclassification has hurt these programs tremendously.  These were once teams that contended with BA and won, even when BA had wonderful teams, many nationally ranked.  I would put these programs in the 1980's- early 1990's against any of the 5A "big boys" of today, and my money would be on the above teams coming out the victor. 

8 state champs is the politically correct way of letting everyone feel good about themselves.

As a Milan player and alumni, do you really think the Milan teams of today could have even come close to the Milan teams of old?  I think not.

Reclassification has hurt the quality of football played in these schools.  They now have to contend with "cupcake high".  3A and 2A is pretty obscure football.  You have no where near the competition of the past.  In retrospect, every game in the Super 7 is a potential loss when the private schools take the field.  If you have not gone to see a BA vs. MBA game, it is something to behold.  BA drums MBA last year by 30 points in the regular season, then MBA drums BA bad in the state championship to where it was embarrasing.  The competition in the Super 7 has made these programs even better.  The Super 7 has no "cupcake high" to contend with.

Yeah, the 86' team sent 3 to UT and was the best team ever at Milan. We didn't have the passing game that we have now and that hurt us when BA beat us that year. We didn't need a passing game with Earnest Fields running behind Fisher and Smith. I will never forget that game and Scott Speedy was a player.

The team we have this year is the closest I have seen to that team or the 77' team. We will struggle next year because we are losing a ton of seniors who have been starting for 3 years but we should be in good shape for 05'.

I wish it was still A, AA, and AAA and everyone played together. I agree that you get better by playing better teams and we try to schedule it as tough as possible but it's not like it used to be. If we didn't have to play the BA's and MUS's back then, Milan would probably have 4 more state titles.

BA was lucky to get out of Milan alive that year. I was not there, but my brother played on that BA team. According to my dad, who was there, every time Earnest Fields touched the ball, it was a huge gain. Our defensive line was doing good to average 185lbs. that year. We ended up getting beat in the State Championship by a highly talented Austin- East team that featured players like Pittsburg Steelers/Penn State player Leroy Thompson, UT's Von Reeves and Louisville's Rhonya Quick among others. The score was 28-20, with BA getting a drive killed by a fumble at the goal line in the final minutes of the game. AE had a 28-0 lead at the half, and let the lead fall. That AE team was, in my opinion, one of the top 5 all time teams I have ever seen. The talent was so overwhelming on that AE team, you had to see it to believe it. BA's players kept in both the Milan and AE game because of heart and coaching. BA had no where near the talent. I think BA had to play in the first round of the playoffs that year Memphis Trezevant, which featured the "X-Man", Xavier Crawford who starred at Memphis State. Can you imagine any of the 5A teams of today coming up against the 2nd week of the playoffs, "The X-Man", the 3rd week of the playoffs, Earnest Fields and the State Championship, Leroy Thompson(USA Today National Defensive Player of the Year)? I cannot remember who BA caught in the first round, but in 1984-85, they were knocked out by Marshall County(Lewisburg) and Running Back/Defensive back Rodney Davis, who is the best player to ever come out of that area, by far. Rodney did pretty well on the collegiate level as well. This was the talent level in the schools that now are in the 2A and 3A classifications of today in Division I. None of our Divison I classifications put out that kind of talent now. Football in TN of today does not rival the teams of old.

Edited by Brandon100

Earnest Fields played some arena football and would have made the pro's at linebacker but was just too short.That year Fields had over 2000 yds. rushing. He was a beast at about 5'10" 235 lbs and Fisher and Smith were around 300 lbs. Fisher made it to the final cut with the Steelers but that was the same year they drafted Everitt out of Michigan and Fisher got cut.

That same Marshall Co. team beat us 48-0 in 84-85. That was the fastest team I have ever seen. That year we had P.A. Pratt, who is now the Crockett Co. head coach. Ricky Fisher was the QB, who is John Fisher's brother.

Unless the teams meet on the field there is no way to

determine how MBA/BA/CBHS would handle the top

schools in 5A or 4A. That being said, I have seen MBA

on four different occasions this year. They are the best

team that I have seen in the last few years.

With all due respect to RollRedRoll, BA could not be considered

the favorite on Halloween. Even with home field advantage,

BA has to be very concerned about the vulnerability in the

secondary. If Fisher gets hot, then it could be a long night.

As a BA fan, it pains me to view MBA as the favorite in this

game.

The Milan team you were referring to is the 1981 Milan team with Jeff Smith, who went to UT.  Speaking of "Smith" wasn't there a Smith who played on that 1986 team that started on the Offensive line at UT?  Larry Smith, I think?

In a nutshell, schools like Marion County,Milan, Alcoa, Marshall County, Austin East, etc. do not have any business playing "Cupcake High" in these 3A and below classifications.  Reclassification has hurt these programs tremendously.  These were once teams that contended with BA and won, even when BA had wonderful teams, many nationally ranked.  I would put these programs in the 1980's- early 1990's against any of the 5A "big boys" of today, and my money would be on the above teams coming out the victor. 

As a Milan player and alumni, do you really think the Milan teams of today could have even come close to the Milan teams of old?  I think not.

Reclassification has hurt the quality of football played in these schools.  They now have to contend with "cupcake high".  3A and 2A is pretty obscure football.  You have no where near the competition of the past.  In retrospect, every game in the Super 7 is a potential loss when the private schools take the field.  If you have not gone to see a BA vs. MBA game, it is something to behold.  BA drums MBA last year by 30 points in the regular season, then MBA drums BA bad in the state championship to where it was embarrasing.  The competition in the Super 7 has made these programs even better.  The Super 7 has no "cupcake high" to contend with.

BA was lucky to get out of Milan alive that year. I was not there, but my brother played on that BA team. According to my dad, who was there, every time Earnest Fields touched the ball, it was a huge gain. Our defensive line was doing good to average 185lbs. that year. We ended up getting beat in the State Championship by a highly talented Austin- East team that featured players like Pittsburg Steelers/Penn State player Leroy Thompson, UT's Von Reeves and Louisville's Rhonya Quick among others. The score was 28-20, with BA getting a drive killed by a fumble at the goal line in the final minutes of the game. AE had a 28-0 lead at the half, and let the lead fall. That AE team was, in my opinion, one of the top 5 all time teams I have ever seen. The talent was so overwhelming on that AE team, you had to see it to believe it. BA's players kept in both the Milan and AE game because of heart and coaching. BA had no where near the talent. I think BA had to play in the first round of the playoffs that year Memphis Trezevant, which featured the "X-Man", Xavier Crawford who starred at Memphis State. Can you imagine any of the 5A teams of today coming up against the 2nd week of the playoffs, "The X-Man", the 3rd week of the playoffs, Earnest Fields and the State Championship, Leroy Thompson(USA Today National Defensive Player of the Year)? I cannot remember who BA caught in the first round, but in 1984-85, they were knocked out by Marshall County(Lewisburg) and Running Back/Defensive back Rodney Davis, who is the best player to ever come out of that area, by far. Rodney did pretty well on the collegiate level as well. This was the talent level in the schools that now are in the 2A and 3A classifications of today in Division I. None of our Divison I classifications put out that kind of talent now. Football in TN of today does not rival the teams of old.

Brandon, welcome back! You still crack me up with those "old days were the better days" stuff. I'm older than you (by a long shot) and don't go for that hooey!!

I'll PM you soon. Hope business is good!

man, that story is hysterical! (i.e., the actions of the Milan coach). I've heard that one many times from BA grads...didn't he come into the locker room with coke or something poured all over him saying, "this school wants us to go home because...............(derrogatory racial epithets follow)" Of course, the entire thing was made up just to fire up his players...I guess that's one way to do it.

isn't there a story of BA hosting a play-off game in the '80's in which some team wanted to hold a pep rally at BA and asked Carlton, no kidding, if they could burn a cross as part of their pep rally? A BA friend of mine told me that one...

Edited by MBAalumnus

man, that story is hysterical! (i.e., the actions of the Milan coach). I've heard that one many times from BA grads...didn't he come into the locker room with coke or something poured all over him saying, "this school wants us to go home because...............(derrogatory racial epithets follow)" Of course, the entire thing was made up just to fire up his players...I guess that's one way to do it.

isn't there a story of BA hosting a play-off game in the '80's in which some team wanted to hold a pep rally at BA and asked Carlton, no kidding, if they could burn a cross as part of their pep rally? A BA friend of mine told me that one...

It is hysterical but true :lol: Tucker did some radical stuff in his days at Milan that would never fly today at any program. Legend has it that if Milan had a bad game on Friday night, the team would have to run through thorn bushes on Saturday without a shirt. B)

MBA is a great football team without a doubt; however, it is rather juvenile to assume that nobody can beat them. There are teams in the mid-state that can beat anybody on any given night. The actual purpose of this reply is to elaborate on the "public vs. private" debate. To say that the public schools cannot compete with the private schools is rediculous. MBA has established themselves this year as the state powerhouse, and rightfully so. It is apparent to you guys that they are far and away the best. Let me make an argument for two teams that could compete with anybody in the state and that is Dickson County and Lincoln County. Both teams are physical and powerful. Also, keep in mind that coaching has a huge part of every week. Coach Jerry Pearson of Dickson has forgotten more football than most coaches know. Ask anyone that knows anything about a quality coach and they will tell you that Pearson is probably the most knowledgeable coach around. If he could go to downtown Nashville and find his players (BA), then he would beat Lighthouse and CPA as well. Also, speaking of debating, CPA is a defending state champion in the private school sector,but they were humiliated and blown out by Riverdale. MBA received mounds of credit for beating Trinity and they should, but they beat a team full of 14 and 15 year old wide receivers.

As for the old BA teams I say this. They have a great tradition but it is shadowed by rumors of recruiting. Of all the great teams I have seen ther, none match up with what I believe may have been the best team ever, the 1991 and 1992 Stratford teams. They were flooded with athletes and if you remember, they had 4 backs rush for over a thousand yards. They were led by Michael Coleman, far and away the best back the state of Tennessee ever produced.