High School Refs

futbolphan

Is it just me, or are high school refs a little (or a lot) suspect this year? Could someone explain to me what it takes to be a high school ref? I have seen kids on the rec fields that show more interest and potential than MOST (no all) refs on the high school fields! And while we're on the subject, why is it that most schools use only two refs? Are they (the schools) not interested in a well refed game? And I would have thought that three refs would be used at the district games, but NO, only two are assigned? Who's responsible for this? And does anyone out there, besides me, care?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I agree there are some bad ones and there are some good ones. The problem is their is not enough of us to go around so some schools get stuck with bad ones. The only way to fix this problem is to have more former soccer players getting into the referee program this way we will eventially have better refereees. As far as 2 or 3 at districts this is up to the assigner in that area and the coach who is hosting. Most coaches want 3, but their is a few who only want 2 so that their team can get by with stuff that they would not get by with with 3 refs.

Is it just me, or are high school refs a little (or a lot) suspect this year? Could someone explain to me what it takes to be a high school ref? I have seen kids on the rec fields that show more interest and potential than MOST (no all) refs on the high school fields! And while we're on the subject, why is it that most schools use only two refs? Are they (the schools) not interested in a well refed game? And I would have thought that three refs would be used at the district games, but NO, only two are assigned? Who's responsible for this? And does anyone out there, besides me, care?

they send you a open book test and must get 70% of the answers right and send it and your money to TSSAA.It use to be just 25 dollars but I've been out of the game for a few years.

I haven't seen any stat books this year but I'll bet that there isn't a single ref that has scored a goal or given one up . For the people that whine about the refs it is just a cover for the teams that get beat. Its the same thing every year. It will never change, becuse everyone wants to blame the refs, instead of the team or players.

but they do take away legit goals and award bad goals or even worse pks that never occur. That saying an official can not cause the game is garbage, i have seen over and over this year. I do agree that we need to have more soccer player become refs.

I don't understand how they can takeaway goals and add goals. They didn't kick them or nor did they save them. One team or the other had to do something to score, or nullify it. As far as PK's this is a judgement call as to whether the foul accurd or didn't. On this one everyone has there own opinion. I'll give you this if each team capitalized on each shot and scored then you couldn't blame the ref's. If each team played stellar defense and didn't alow a shot then you might have a point that the ref caused the outcome of the game. In no way has this or will it happen so your point is mute. Untill you people put on the ref jersey and do high school ball you have no opinion. Other than that you are just talking sour grapes over something you don't have a clue about.

:D

here are the facts though... a referee is in charge of the game whether you like it or not.... they can change the outcome of the game by blowing a call, or changing the style in which the teams ahve to play because of how easily he is willing to blow his whistle or pull out the cards.... sometimes a ref can give a free goal to another team by simply being out of position and missing a call that he would have judged differently were he in the right place on the field... referees alter teh game more than you may know ... and yes they can disallow a goal by making a bad judgement call against the offense ... say a player is onside but the referee is out of position and calls them off therein disallowing a goal through no fault of the players.... just like every sport the referee is not always right because he is not perfect nor can he be in all places at once...