What has happened to Springfield

Timber

I was just looking at everyones standings and discovered that Springfield has only won one game this season and hasnt won to many over the past few years. What is going on with that program. I dont realy know many people associated there anymore. If you can shed some light on the situation please let me know!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Randy Thomas resigned last year. Johnny Offit is in his first season as head coach for Springfield. I'm not saying that is the problem, but when there is some changes in the program, it sometimes may cause confusion and it takes a while to build a program in the direction you want to go. I would love to see Coach Offit get Springfield playing good football again........even though I was very upset they dropped Greenbrier from it's schedule after we beat them last year. These two schools have been rivals for years, they are 10 minutes from each other and I think they should be playing every year, no matter the classification.

Springfield lost two of their best players this year. DE PJ Hudson for grades and QB Rico Collier with a broken ankle. This was a major factor.

Good luck to Springfield. I hope there are brighter days ahead.

Springfield is dangerous. They have the talent to win, but new systems usually take some time to develope. Look at NW, it took us a year to just get on track. Seniors last game, makes to be a very dangerous squad. I look for them to come out pumped and ready to play. Coaches get ready for another good football game.

Discipline may be a big factor. Thomas ran the show, how is the new coach dealing with all the school problems and athletes grades and attitudes? Find this answer and you discover the problem in Springfield.

What's happening in Springfield is not due to coaching. Coach Offitt and staff have cleaned up some of the attitude problems associated with their team. They have kicked several guys off the team for disciplinary reasons. I think a few more were kicked off due to academics. Their star QB- Rico Collier broke his ankle or foot. All of this has weighed heavily on their season this year. The coaching is there. Springfield is still a very talented football team. Rico returned to action last week against Rossview. With his return, along with putting their backup QB #7 out at receiver, they look to have a better offensive game plan. Anyway, that is basically what has happened this year.

I saw Springfield play a couple of weeks ago. they have some of the best individual talent of any team I've seen in the midstate this year. That may be part of the problem...too many individuals not playing as a team. Anyone who knows football knows that teams are made in the off season. the coaching change hasn't helped, but give Coach Offut a year or two. If the kids buy into his program, work hard in the off season and play as a team, you'll hear from them very soon. They have LOTS of young talent on the team. Rico Collier returning will help too!

I hope he is a success. I like talking to him whenever we have talked before a game. However, I would not kick a player off the team due to the fact that he may be the best athlete and you may be all he has. Some athletes only have the coach and no one has ever taught them how to act. How is it beneficail to them if someone else they respect lets them go. Stand up and fight to teach these athletes they can find success.