cloudland and unaka update

dewswar

I personally think alot of people need to grow up. Yes the score is an issue, but not the playing time....Lets face it cloudland has a legitament run at a state title this yr. and may not have this chance for another 30yrs...I live in carter county, not roan mtn. and I pull for all the local schools. Come playoffs cloudlands team will meet stiffer compatition and have to play longer that 2 quarters...Conditioning is the key.....You can practice till dooms day, but game time is when you learn...Yes cloudland needs stiffer compatition, but have to make due with what it has till playoff time.....I can tell you this as a coach in the past, cloudlands coaching staff is striving for one thing this season and that is a state championship... Something these kids will forever remember...As for unaka, hampton, or anybody who has played against mark byrd, and company how do you think they would feel sitting at home and watching mark byrd play on sundays. They would feel proud to have played against him no matter what the score....So grow up people especially all from carter co. and lets pull together and support our local teams no matter who it is.....Personally I would love to see cloudland beat the privates. Because I got a news flash for everyone, untill cloudland takes that step and proves they are good enough to beat the privates they are not the best team in the state....Division 5 is the strongest division and has been for many yrs. Wouldn't unaka like to see the private division go down especially since it has cost them a state title in basketball so many times....

GO CARTER COUNTY AND GO LANDERS

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now Krich, wasn't it Covarrubias who got the conussion not Scott? I hope Covi is O.K.

Sorry I missed reporting the Covarubias concussion; he was replacing one of the starting backs early in the second half. Pearson was in a similar state.

That - all the injuries - is what had the Unaka coaches so heated. It was obvious that so many Unaka starters were off the field, and early. Chrisman was still blitzing against a banged up Ranger offense. That started the protest. Personally, I just wish the whole thing hadn't happened. I wish Unaka could've been full strength from the onset.

As to the "conditioning," argument, no...by now you're team is as contitioned as it will get; and infact you're better served by taking as few hits as possible - even against a pitiful team - than to consider conditioning with a fifty plus point lead in the third.

The Stockton injury actually happened on, I think, the second offensive play from scrimmage; and though I haven't watched the film yet, I think he was trying to block Unaka's Garland, and got his leg folded. I just hope the preliminary report is inaccurate.

I personally think alot of people need to grow up. Yes the score is an issue, but not the playing time....Lets face it cloudland has a legitament run at a state title this yr. and may not have this chance for another 30yrs...I live in carter county, not roan mtn. and I pull for all the local schools. Come playoffs cloudlands team will meet stiffer compatition and have to play longer that 2 quarters...Conditioning is the key.....You can practice till dooms day, but game time is when you learn...Yes cloudland needs stiffer compatition, but have to make due with what it has till playoff time.....I can tell you this as a coach in the past, cloudlands coaching staff is striving for one thing this season and that is a state championship... Something these kids will forever remember...As for unaka, hampton, or anybody who has played against mark byrd, and company how do you think they would feel sitting at home and watching mark byrd play on sundays. They would feel proud to have played against him no matter what the score....So grow up people especially all from carter co. and lets pull together and support our local teams no matter who it is.....Personally I would love to see cloudland beat the privates. Because I got a news flash for everyone, untill cloudland takes that step and proves they are good enough to beat the privates they are not the best team in the state....Division 5 is the strongest division and has been for many yrs. Wouldn't unaka like to see the private division go down especially since it has cost them a state title in basketball so many times....

GO CARTER COUNTY AND GO LANDERS

What did cloudland's linemen learn from running over an already broken ranger team? I'm just as proud as can be, of a carter county team going to the big dance but I just can't agree with that theory. I hope they can bring the trophy home....the bad thing is, lunsford may make a few enemies in Carter county while doing it. I think he may have made a few up on the creek.

Is everyone as anxious as I am for that awkward moment when krich and camarogirl speak again? ;)

Is everyone as anxious as I am for that awkward moment when krich and camarogirl speak again? :o

Thanks for caring, groundround.

For what it's worth I still hold my friendships with several Highlanders and fans very dear. The Birchfields, the Byrds, the Julians, Ray and Mary Gibbs, Ruth Ann Odom and her extended family... and yes, Coach Lunsford and his family; including the newest "little" nine-pounder.

Furthermore it goes back to my college playing days. When I was struggling with back-problems while trying to continue playing this wonderful game at ETSU, the great Sonny Smith, whom the Cloudland Gymnasium is named after, would always greet me in the hallway at Brooks Gym with so many encouraging words. As this thread reminds us, some things you just don't ever forget. I will always be grateful to Coach Smith for helping me; and to Bill Birchfield for what he meant to me as a high school player.

Likewise, whether Unaka ever reaches the Cloudland level - and I think they will - this loss, for several reasons, is the most painful . Whether intentionally or not, it was overkill, to put it mildly.

But as to camarogirl, if she thinks for one second she's off the hook on that free meal, then she's terribly mistaken. She promised me a birthday meal well before any of this got started.

Is everyone as anxious as I am for that awkward moment when krich and camarogirl speak again? :o

Awkward? Nothing awkward on my end. I don't call the plays, I just tell the cheerleaders if we are on offense or defense. Krich is still my buddy and I still owe him a hotdog because he wouldn't come down out of that roost long enough for me to pay up.

I am truly saddened that there were so many injuries and very disappointed that they did not allow the clock to run. I hope that all of the players that were injured recover quickly. They are a fine group of young men. We all have differing opinions on this matter but there is nothing that any of us on this board can do to change it. I'll continue to support the Rangers and any other Carter County teams when they play anyone other than Cloudland.

As for KRP and 4Life, who cares? Let'em make all the statements they want. What they have to say doesn't amount to a hill of beans and the same goes for the polls. Nobody is going to be able to say who the best TRULY is until December.

:o They played their varsity deep into the third. Then they finaly put their 2nd string in. We score, now its 60-13. Guess what Cloudland does next? They put their full varsity offence against our JV deffence!!!  ;)  And run a 43 yard TD with Benfeild! :lol:  Now could you please say thet they played the JV the whole 2nd half? They even kept their Varsity O line in into the 4th. :o

The officaling in the game wasn't real sharp either. Thy missed many calls. Say, after we Guinns TD run, Someone on Cloudland( can't remember number) Cliped Pasqualli 60 yards behind the play!! That wasn't called. Many face maskes were not caled. Often, they would thow a flag, and then have a 2 minute conferance cause they didn't even know what in the heck they threw the flag for! In between quarters and they would go over there and laugh and joke with the Cloudland players!

Now, I'm not saying that those are the resons we lost. We lost because they were just a better team than we are.... but watch out. What goes around comes around.

Now Krich, wasn't it Covarrubias who got the conussion not Scott? I hope Covi is O.K.

i wish you people would stop crying about the score it could have been alot worse than it was.when the jv comes in a drives the ball all over unakas starters what do you want cloudland to do fall down after they take the hand off. if you want to be mad at someone it should be the coach for not having the kids ready to play. i guess cloudland should have lefted the starters at home. you would have still cried because the jv could have beat them by 40 points or more