M-East 24-10 over Volunteer

Big Daddy

Good= Good game, district battle, Volunteer has some talent, how did they loose to Cherokee? Cane's now 6-2, 3-1 in conference and playoff bound for first time in a long while.

Bad= Sparse crowd for the Cane's to be having the best season in a long time you would think there would be more turnout. Trust me it would help, and it is one reason the Cane's appeared to be flat early.

Good= Once again the Cane's showed they have a complete game. Good D held a Wing-T team to less than 100 total yards rushing. Terry Hall kicked a 37 yard FG with 1 second left in the first half, which was huge, and with almost 200 yards rushing, and over 200 yards passing the Cane's again show that they have the most balanced O in the conference.

Bad= Another scary moment for Cane fans as Geordie Larson taken off field on a strecher, at almost the same spot Wahkeem Simpson was injured against Carter. Also lost Rob Davis, and Chris Wilson to an already thin team.

Good= Shawn Penland just a Soph, was only 40 yards short of school record for receiving yards in a game, he actually had it but the ball popped out as he hit he ground at the 5 yard line on a 50 yarder, but you can't catch em all, and this kid has definately got some sticky fingers. Get on that track team Shawn and get two steps faster and those 70 yarders that you have been caught from behind will be 80 yarders and TD'd.

Bad= D-secondary does a great job at run support, but scare me on pass coverage at times letting too many teams get deep. Just keep working hard and getting better.

Ugly= Volunteer coach tearing up rule book in the middle of the field when teams met to shake hands, and throwing it all over the field. Any place else that is a fine for littering. And what was his problem? The Cane's were penalized 11 times for 90 yards, had one 60 yard TD by Francisco called back for a block in the back, had an interception in the end zone wiped out by a pass interference call on a pass that was thrown up for grabs and was essentially a jump ball situation and not many players will win that against 6'5" Wahkeem Simpson. The Cane's also had two third down pass completions for first downs wiped out by penalty.

On the other hand Volunteer had only 5 penalties for 50 yards, one of them was a 15 yard personal foul with 20 seconds left in the game and the Cane's were simply taking a knee and running out the clock. They also had two third down plays that were stopped but got a first down by penalty. Unless one of the referees called him a one eyed one horned flying purple people eater that was a poor show of sportsmanship. If he would like to see a poorly officiated game he should get out last year's game at Volunteer when the Falcon's won 27-22 and the Cane's had three TD'd called back by holding penalties, two of which were nowhere to be found on the game tape, and the other was in the middle of the line and undetectable on the tape.

Edited by Big Daddy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post, was sad to see so few, maybe the rain threat scared them off, or maybe they thought West, Greenville would be better game.

They honored the 1969 state championship team before the game. I remember that team, I was just a young pup, but I think Marshall Mills was one of the best ever in Morristown. Too bad he's not still around.

I guess coach Venable got caught up in the moment, must have been frustrated, because it was not a poorly officiated game, as games go. Just my opinion.

I'll be waiting for the Volunteer fans to lay into me for this comment, but Venable is like that Big Daddy.

When Volunteer was still in 3A, they had to play Rutledge twice in region play back in 97-98. They came in expecting to walk away with wins and instead got two losses. One was a 9-point loss at Rutledge and the other one was about two touchdowns at Volunteer.

Both times, Volunteer players showed the colors of their necks. Poor-mouthing officials, trash-talking Rutledge players...I guess when you've got the big head thinking that a team from Grainger County ain't in your league, only to be rudely awakened and find out it's the other way around...you've got to do something.

At Volunteer was the worst. They had about 6 unsportsmanlike penalties, 2 of which happened after a failed onside kick attempt late in the game after Volunteer had scored to cut into the lead. To top that off, Rutledge's offensive coordinator (and current AD) went into the huddle after a timeout (something like 90 seconds left and I don't think Volunteer had any timeouts) and was instructing his offense to keep their cool and run the victory formation. One of Volunteer's assistants thought Rutledge's coach was mouthing off to him and called him out...which would have been his worst mistake ever. Fortunately, the cooler heads prevailed and we kept our coach from pummelling someone.

Now, it wasn't Venable doing the jawing, but it probably had something to do with how he conducts himself in games and practices. He has to have better control on his coaches.

Bottom line is this: there's a reason why some teams have problems getting over the proverbial hump. Class goes a long way. Show it when you win: show it when you lose. You may not like to lose and you may really want to rub it in when you win, but above all else have some class.

And you're right. Sounds like he had little to complain about with the way the penalites went.

Edited by KevB1990

Well Kev, I haven't been in this neck of the woods long enough to comment on anything other than the game the other night, and I don't know if it was coach Venable that did that or not, but it was one of their coaches, and we have all thrown down a clipboard once or twice but the rulebook was all over the field in about as many pieces as you can get one in.

I also can't imagine anyone coming to Rutledge and thinking it was going to be easy in football or basketball for that matter. Back in the day coach Doug Morgan and I had some barnburners, but he was always the same gentleman after the game win or lose that he was before, as was Coach Wells.

Kev, as a reporter you should know it is dangerous when you start commenting on things you did not witness. True, there were not that many bad calls in the game and what was called did not cost Volunteer the game. I think what had Coach Venable upset was the fact that East's offensive line was lining up in the backfield and no call was being made. At least nothing to correct the situation. Please do not say that it is nit pickey. Each of the rules is there for some reason and the appropriate penalty is spelled out. The lesser infractions have a smaller penalty.

The pages of the rule book, if that is what it was, were laying on the field. I think Big Daddy over hypes the matter with his comment. I was there Big Daddy I saw it. Please do not over dramatize the matter.

On the pass interference our receiver was push out of the way a long time before the ball got to the DBs and where the receiver was trying to go. A receiver has to be given a chance to catch the ball.

If East folks are going to mention those types of calls they should also mention that Volunteer's penalty yardage should have been 15 yeards less. That is because of the bogus pass interference call against Volunteer.

If we are talking sportsmanship you should have seen the scene as the Volunteer players were going to the locker room after the game. I went into the details on another thread and will not repeat myself here.

CHHS72, I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with Big Daddy on the officiating since I didn't see it, just merely relating an incident I did witness in the past that goes to show a pattern. I was riding the wave of emotion at Rutledge in that OT thriller with North. I really didn't expect it to be that close but that's why you play the games.

Also, my guess is that Big Daddy was there because he had a vested interest in the game.

As far as the O-line lining up in the backfield...that could probably be called on every other play just like offensive holding. I know of several teams at all levels that I've seen lined up almost like a "V."

There comes a time when the ref uses the advantage/disadvantage arguement in his mind and makes a judgement call. Otherwise, we'd be playing all night long and nobody would get anything going.

And I won't defend any team or their fans that has post-game incidents with their opponents...so for whomever started doing what; once again I say, show some class.

Edited by KevB1990

Just hold your breath kevb. I think the actions of your non players in this area speak for themself. Make up your mind, you wasn't agreeing or disagreeing? You were just relating your past, and you see a pattern? You Say you are holding on every play? Why do we even need a rule book? Just make a judgement call.

I know it seems like a lot of questions kev, but I assume you want answers, or do you?

Where's the class kev?

CHHS72 since when does telling EXACTLY what happened on the field after the game constitute over hype or over dramatization? I didn't say he cursed or hit anyone, or called somebody's mama a bad name, just what happened. I was there also and saw the papers of the rule book fly into the air as far as he most likely could throw them.They weren't just thrown but torn into pieces and I do know it was the rule book because I picked them up from about a 20 yard portion of the middle of the field.

Regardless, it is in my opinion very poor sportsmanship for a coach that is representing the school to do that. The game was over there are always calls that people see differently from different vantage points. Check the Knoxville Sentinel and you will see the stats I quoted were correct.

I did not see the the scene at the locker room that you are referring to so I can't comment on it but I will assume it was kids and not East high coaches or faculty members.

I'm sure Kev can speak for himself but it seems to me he was talking about things he did see when a student at Rutledge, and can only assume he was there.

Big Daddy, I have been reading the last several statements you have made and I think it's a same we (volunteer fans) don't have the class that the Hurricane faithful showed me Friday night (all 150 fans) I realize we have some humdingers in our stands but SO DOES EVERY SCHOOL. The actions of your student body under the stands at the visiting locker room proves that. So get off your high horse and quit bad mouthing everyone else. East has a fine football team and I wish them well the rest of the season. As for you, I hope to see you next season. Maybe you can help us clean up after the game like you do at East.

Kev, I don't think anyone would put much faith in anything you think. If you are the Kev that writes articles in the paper I have one thing to say to you. Wrestlings fake and that shows your expertise in any sport. B)B)

Go Falcons!!!!!!