DB vs SCIENCE HILL

ArtVandalay

just let me add that this is a db/science hill thread, but saying that the wiiner of the d-b and science hill game is the "Big East Champs" is only half right. If D-B wins then D-B is Big East champs, but if Science Hill wins Jefferson County is Big East champs by the head-to-head win Jefferson County has over Science Hill. So all of us here in Patriots country say "GO TOPPERS".

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DB has lost 2 (that's right) 2 Conference games in 8 years, none of those 2 losses were either jeff co. or Science Hill. I expect the trend to continue. All-Time Series Highlights to come soon, with numbers out the ying yang....

CoJaCo - sound off on this board... Skunk, we need your professional opinion on this Series... you have 1st hand knowledge and history to give us.

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

Edited by ArtVandalay

Again, JC to DB will always be Johnson City. We told you guys once to make that clear. So again, no matter how good Jefferson Co. is, Johnson City will always be known to anyone from the Tri Cities as JC. That is why I said there were two close games(vs Karns and Campbell Co). And we don't give a crap about Jefferson Co right now. DB will concentrate on JC (Johnson City) for those who can't get it through their head. Go back to your own thread unless you are gonna talk about DB or JC, like an adult would, not your who cares, my team is hot yada, yada crap.

Why start it again? Say something useful or shutup. You and 2good are a disgrace to Jeff Co.

Here I am again in a DB/SH thread that has nothing to do with Jefferson CO. Shall I start some unwarranted garbage with our rivals to the North?

NO! Because my intelligence is more than that of a common field mouse.

It will be a tuff choice on Friday night. Senior night in Dumplin Valley, the battle for I-81 exit 32 supremacy, or vandalizing and ransacking various residential neighborhoods in Jefferson County? A hard call indeed.

I dont have a prediction for this one yet, both teams are coming off slightly shaky performances on the 24th. But no doubt they will both bring their A games. I think Lamon Williams will play a big role in the game, even if he plays the biggest role on the night and that would be no role and not playing at all. Am I saying DB can't win without him? No, but it would be easier for them. Still to close to call at this point, Ill holla later in the week.

Should be a classic, may even live up to the high bar set by Central/Maryville.

And to my fellow Patriots and old men that wish they were my fellow Patriots, this is not the place for Dumplin Valley Discussion so take the how great we are talk elsewhere and Ill meet you there.

The way I've got it figured, if DB wins this one they will have home field all the way through the playoffs (if they keep wining) until the Championship game. From hear on out there are no easy ones for the tribe. If they can elimanate the turnovers and mistakes, and get some key players healthy they stand a good chance of going deep into the playoffs.

Science Hill comes to Kingsport with their best team in years, and their planing on hitting the playoffs running also. I look for this game to be just like last year, very close and down to the last second.

WaCo :blink: JaCo

Edited by WaCoJaCo

Obviously a tough call, but after seeing both teams early in the season, I would give the nod to DB, especially with the game being played in K'port. With that being said, I am sure that seeing both teams early in the year may not give a true insite to this important east tn. game. Injuries will play a part, maybe more so for DB. Both teams have had some struggling games as of late.... still going with DB.... 28-24 B)

DB INDIANS vs Johnson City Science Hill = RIVALRY

**ALL-TIME SERIES RECORD

DB LEADS THE SERIES 53-23 ( 5 TIES )

**1ST GAME WAS 1921, 3 games that season. JC won game 1 and 2, game 3 was 0-0 Tie

**These 2 Teams have played every year since then to current, with the exception of 1963 - 1966. Something big must have happened back then, as DB withdrew from the then Big 7 Conference. (Skunk, a little help if you know, a great triva question)

**LONGEST WIN STREAKS IN THE SERIES

JC - (6-0) FROM 1961 - 1970 (4-0) FROM 1931 - 1934

DB - (14-0-1) FROM 1935 - 1949 **CURRENT STREAK IS (9-0) FROM 1995-......

Science Hill has defeated DB 23 times, that is more than any other team. Bristol Tn High has 18 wins vs the Tribe., Elizabethon has 17 W, Oak Ridge has 15 W, and FYI, for giggles, Jeff. Co has 2 win vs the Tribe. It is sad that TSSAA has taken away 2 of the Indians biggest rivals... TN High and Elizabethton.

Munch on that for a while. And if anyone knows why DB withdrew from the Big 7 Conf back in '63 please share that info.

ROLL TRIBE ROLL

GIDDY UP!!

Art Baby, Who are you for, D-B or The Toppers? I take it you must be a D-B fan. Your post don't seem to sway one way or the other. If you just saw the GIANT picture of Steve Spurrier last Winter, where have you been? By the way, you spelled Spurrier wrong. Are you young or new to the area?

What are you referring to when you spoke in your 1st post about the new coaching staff? Bowles has been here going on his 5 years now, 1st year he was 0-10, 2nd year 1-9, 3rd year 8-4, 4th year 5-5, and this year 8-1 (to this point). McClanahan, who was the coach before Bowles never had a losing season (he did have two.500 seasons), he went 9-4 his 1st year, 7-3 his 2nd, 8-4 his 3rd, 5-5 his 4th and 6-6 his last on the Hill. Turner went 8-3 his 1st year and 10-3 his last. Turner and McClanahan took the Toppers deeper into the play-offs than any other coach in school history.

Science Hill will always will be a basketball school first. D-B has been and always will be a football school first!

I hope JC can beat the Tribe this Friday, it will be tough though at J. Fred Johnson! What is the record when the Toppers play D-B at their place? The Tribe always seem to have JC's number, example 53-23 overall record.

I'm looking for a good game on Friday. I'm concerned with the way the Toppers offense has been playing the past few weeks. Not very effective of late. They must find a way to score against a good D-B defense. I still don't think Science Hill has played tough teams like D-B. Example a team like Oak Ridge! That doesn't mean I'm not pulling for the Toppers, but I do think it can impact a team later in the season.

Topper Pride

Giddy Up!

5th season as a Coach is still just getting started. SH has improved from about as bad as they could get to a serious threat to the Big East Title. Just 5 and 6 seasons ago, maybe 4 -5, not sure, SH went 0-10 back to back. So, a 5 year plan has been just right for SH. I am glad to see it. Since 5A started, DB has to travel a long way to get a good rivalry game going, maybe we got one back, in our own back yard. And yes, I am a Tribe Fan, not doubt about it.

When I went to DB, we played SH in Freedom Hall, not the Topper Palace. I hate the Topper Palace, as I am sure the Toppers love it. Home cookin' is always served up on that court and it is hot enough in that dang place to fry and egg at half court. And, I hate Spurrior, how ever you spell his name. I hope he does well in the pro's so he stays out of College Football and the SEC 4ever.

Topper's, bring a couple of thousand fans to this game, please.. I want J Fred to be rocking on Halloween night.

Gettin' Jiggy with it

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

Art Baby,

I'm with you on the game really meaning something to both Kingsport & Johnson City residents again. In 1993, 1994, & 1996 the game determined if D-B or Science Hill would win the Big East outright or at least share the crown. Those were good years during that stretch run!

You are also right about how Pitts kept The Topper Palace very hot. Usually you could cook some bacon to go along with those eggs, even brew a pot of coffee!

The Toppers were, 0-10 (1999) & 1-9 (2000).

I would love to see Spurrier back into college football. Don't be surprised if you don't see him in orange again, Burnt Orange, as in the Texas Longhorns. He is GREAT for college football!

Art, I hope the weather stays good for Friday night. If it does you can be sure you'll have a $25,000/30,000 plus gate at J. Fred Johnson.

Topper Pride (Hope no one pulls any Halloween pranks before or after the game!)

DB dropped out of the Big 7 Confernece in '63 and the Rivalry with Johnson City Science Hill took a turn (and a 4 year break) for the worse. Bad Blood came out of a Big 7 Meeting prior to the '63 season. It goes like this...

The Big 7 had a meeting on Aug 11, '63 and voted (6-0, DB did not vote) to mandate the Game Officials HAD to be members of the Appalachian Officials Association. They also passed that any school not in agreement would be kicked out of the League. DB wanted to choose their own officials as they always had, saying that some "Top Notch" Officials were not part of that Assoc. So the Schools had a final meeting on Sept. 9,'63. DB offered to choose their own Game Officials, and if that was not agreed to by each game opponent, then they would abide by the Leauge Rule and use Ref's from the Appalachian Officials Assoc. They voted on it... DB, Greeneville and Bristol voted for the DB motion...However, Erwin, Elizabethton, Morristown and Johnson City voted against it.(4-3) After the count, Dr. Ley (DB Principal) announced that DB would withdraw from the League.

Principal, Dr. Lay said DB would honor all signed contract's in place. DB and Johnson City had not signed a new contract yet. JC sent the Game Contract to DB just after the Aug. 11 meeting.... After the Sept 9 meeting.... JC was represented by Howard McCorkle who openly asked Dr. Lay if he (DB) would sign their Contract. McCorkle replied... "I will let you know our decision Monday moring." 4 years later, DB and SH played. Obviously, DB held it against JC for not voting with them at the Sept 9 '63 meeting, and so.... THE RIVALRY GOT BIGGER. It should be noted that the years 1963-1966 is the only years that DB and SH did not play since 1921, the start of Football in Kingsport. It should also be noted that the Decade of the 60's was the most successful for Science Hill in the Series. Winning games in 61,62 (no games playedfrom 63-66) also, SH won when the series resumed in '67, 68 and 69. The longest win streak in the series for the Toppers. DB has won 25 of the last 33 games since 1970.

Research @ the KPT Public Library/Times News and hard work put in by Tom Price to compile the History of DB Football.

God I love a Rivalry

ROLL TRIBE ROLL

GIDDY UP!!!