BA-MBA Updates

WesVLT

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon wrote it best I think...these refs are not making any money.  They're out there doing the best they can simply because they love the game...this isn't the NFL, or even college...they made a mistake, let's move on...congrats to BA and to MBA and good luck in the play-offs...

Absolutely...play on! But why keep saying time after time that they made a mistake? That has really not been established and to continually state that as if it's a fact further demeans these guys.

For the record, here ia my take on the subject:

1) This thing about a seperate "official" time being kept on somebody's wristwatch is baloney...let's just get that off the table. The scoreboard clock is the official clock.

2) Anyone actually attending the game could not physically look at both the play and the clock simultaneously. The field goal took place at the opposite end of the field from the clock. The officials were the only ones who could do that.

3) Most of the people commenting about "blatant rip-offs" and referees being paid off are basing their comments on the Comcast coverage.

4) The Comcast coverage was critically flawed in a very important aspect. When they showed the clock superimposed on the screen, they truncated off the decimals. In other words, when the clock on the screen showed "0", the real game clock in the stadium actually showed "0.9". I admit I didn't think of this until about the third time I watched the ending.

5) I actually took a stopwatch and timed the span from when the clock on the screen showed 0, and when the ball was snapped. Remember, it's when the ball is snapped that counts, not when it is kicked. My three times averaged 0.9 seconds. None of us is physically gifted enough to get an exact time down to the tenth whan the span is a second or so, but the rhetoric about this being "obvious" and the officials being incompetent or even on the take is ludicrous.

6) Did the officials miss this call? I don't know. I know it was very, very close; not obvious. Feel free to repeat my experiment if you have a tape of the game.

Now let's all hope MBA and BA meet up again in a few weeks in the Clinic Bowl!

Edited by itzme