8 AA

CoachF

What does everyone think about this district? What will be the final standings? Who will be the standout players?

I think MLK will be the team to beat followed by Hume-Fogg and Lipscomb. I don't think I will go any further because I have a dog in this hunt.

Corey Brewer is by far the best player in the league if not the state. Johnny Lee and Demario Dayton are very good players from MLK. Alex Renfroe is one of the top shooters in the league, at Hume-Fogg. Ray Stanton at Springfield is a solid player. What's everyone else thinking?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be a very solid district this year as every year. On any given day anyone could be beaten. I think MLK and Hume Fogg are the teams to beat. MLK has everyone back and Johnny Lee is a great player. Hume Fogg's Alex Renfroe is a solid shooter every game and with Renard Robinson in the middle at 6'10", they can alter any team's inside game. Springfield has talent, but if they don't play as a team they will not make it out of the district again. Greenbrier will be the surprise team this year. They play hard and have some good shooters on their team, and for the first time in a while, will have some size in the middle. Portland will have to find some help for Brewer, but he could be enough to win some games. Lipscomb is Lipscomb and will be tough again. They lost several seniors, but they always find what the need to win, but this year Lipscomb has a new coach. Macon shouldn't be a threat this year and will probably be fighting to stay out of the cellar against Station Camp. East Lit is also having a down year and shouldn't be a threat, but their speed makes them dangerous.

Hume fogg david libscomp and mlk are the three top teams in the district, not in that paticuler order. Portland could be up there, but they will have to be able to help support brewer who is one of the best players in the state. greenbrier will surpize some people this year. macon, shooters as always, but if they do not get some size, they will have trouble. East lit is talented but needs to learn to keep their heads in the game, if they did that they could go farther then they do. Springfeild is the most talented and athletic team. if they played together as a single team, the sky is the limit for the. station camp...one more year, let their players grow a little bit, then they will make some noise.

I think Hume-Fogg and MLK are definitely the teams to beat in this district. Alex Renfroe is a great shooter and leads by example. The rest of the guys seem to fall in line behind him. The same can be said for Johnny Lee from MLK. Also, watch out for Trey Hobson from Hume-Fogg.

I agree with most of the statements in this thread so far, but i have my own opinions and predictions.

First Hume-Fogg is probably the team to beat because Alex Renfroe and Joseph Ebanks can both stroke it from downtown, blow by most defenders off the dribble, and play as hard as anyone is the district, which is a high compliment. Trey Hobson will be a surprise for them because he can play and with Harriford gone will be able to show his skills, particularly his 3.

Next will be Lipscomb, Springfield and MLK (no particular order). Lipscomb will be led by their guards Anthony Hopkins and Brent McPherson. Brent has the best stroke of anyone in Nashville. He is in range when he crosses half. Anthony started some last year but will take more of a leadership role as at either guard spot. He'll get a chance to show that he can do a little bit of everything this year. Springfield has the most talent and will win the district if they can play a little smarter and share the ball a little. Ray Stanton is the best athlete in the district by far. MLK has the best chemistry of the league and has one of the best coaches in Tennessee in Doc. You can never count them out of any game. Oh, and Johnny Lee and Demario Dayton will easily be All-District selections.

The rest of the distict is up for grabs. Portland will have to help Brewer who really doesnt mind taking every shot cause thats what he did last year when Ferguson was easily their most dominant player, NO QUESTION. East Lit still has David McMillan who is a very talented player. The bottom teams should be Greenbriar, Macon County, and Station Camp in that order.

Greenbrier is going to surpize some people this year. Give them a few games to begin getting into the feel of playing, but as the year goes on, watch out for them. They may pull an upset.

Greenbrier will still have some what of a young team with only one senior. They will play mostly juniors and will get some help from 2 or 3 sophomores. They have 8 kids still playing football and they way it looks, they might not have them for a while. Right now they are only practicing with 8 JV and varsity players and 1 freshman.

They had a good summer. Maybe that will carry over into the season.

I agree....they could surpise some teams if they can come together at the right time. I also agree that MLK and Hume Fogg will be the teams to beat in this district.

The district's top spots are up for grabs. It will be determined by how well the unknowns and role players of each team step up. Ray Stanton, Cory Brewer, Johnny Lee, and Alex Renfroe are all outstanding players, but if their teams do not step up and play to their potential and give them some help any team could win the district.

I understand that Greenbriers couple of sophomores are pretty tall 6'6"+ and have developed rather well over the summer. Is this true? Someone at work told me that.

The sophomores are Logan Greer 6'7" and Lance Adams 6'5". Kyle Herndon should also be able to help some at the PG position. While Logan stands 6'7", he can also play the 2 guard spot. He shoots the ball well from the outside. He will need to put on some meat before he can battle in the paint in this district. Lance is strong and should provide some good post play when called on. He played real well at camp this summer at UTC. Lance is a football player and has been injured...hopefully he can recover and be ready after football season. Kyle is also a football player.

All of these players have worked hard this off season. Hopefully it will pay off this season.