Halls Football

tennstar33

I don't think halls coaching is that bad it's just that they have some kids in the wrong postitions. I mean don't get me wrong Trey Lucas is pretty good but i have seen Lockwood play QB and he is pretty good to. If you had Lockwood at QB with Mynatt in the backfield and not at receiver; and if you put Josh Brock and Cameron Sharp at receivers you will be alright by running the option and then if you need to spread the field with more athletes Lucas at QB and then move Lockwood to a Flanker or Back. Lucas is good enough to start but if you had Lockwood at QB running the option could be more effective. Halls also has pretty decent speed with Mynatt, Lockwood (when he wants to try), Cameron Sharp and several others. Its just postioning and finding what works with this pool of kids.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think halls coaching is that bad it's just that they have some kids in the wrong postitions. I mean don't get me wrong Trey Lucas is pretty good but i have seen Lockwood play QB and he is pretty good to. If you had Lockwood at QB with Mynatt in the backfield and not at receiver; and if you put Josh Brock and Cameron Sharp at receivers you will be alright by running the option and then if you need to spread the field with more athletes Lucas at QB and then move Lockwood to a Flanker or Back. Lucas is good enough to start but if you had Lockwood at QB running the option could be more effective. Halls also has pretty decent speed with Mynatt, Lockwood (when he wants to try), Cameron Sharp and several others. Its just postioning and finding what works with this pool of kids.

Guys, from what I saw this year Halls didn't run much option. When they did it was the speed option.

And about the Lockwood at qb thing................

I know some people at Halls, they say he aint the smartest knife in the drawer (if ya know what I mean), and he throws the football like it is a baseball, ya can't do that. You have to be smart to read the option guy!

Where did I ever say anything about running the ball up the middle? I said Halls uses a smash mouth style of offense, which needs good a O-Line.

Once again I think Coach Sheppard is a great coach and enjoyed playing for him. I just believe that he could have passed it more. Im not saying line up with 4-5 wide and throw it 20-30 times a game. But I think that against Central especially where they bring 9 men in the box, you have to spread them out to open up the run. Maybe running 3-4 wide and then giving it to Timbo and let him find a seam to run through, something like that.

Im not basing any of my comments on this years team. Halls was at the bottom of the barrel this year in Region 3-4A on talent. I just dont think Coach Sheppard will have as much success as he could have if he would pass the ball alittle more.

P.S.

I believe I played a big factor for Halls.

KFLFootball-If you will read the last part of your post (The P.S.). Just as I do sometimes we forget what we once said.

Where did I ever say anything about running the ball up the middle?  I said Halls uses a smash mouth style of offense, which needs good a O-Line.

Once again I think Coach Sheppard is a great coach and enjoyed playing for him.  I just believe that he could have passed it more.  Im not saying line up with 4-5 wide and throw it 20-30 times a game.  But I think that against Central especially where they bring 9 men in the box, you have to spread them out to open up the run.  Maybe running 3-4 wide and then giving it to Timbo and let him find a seam to run through, something like that.

Im not basing any of my comments on this years team.  Halls was at the bottom of the barrel this year in Region 3-4A on talent.  I just dont think Coach Sheppard will have as much success as he could have if he would pass the ball alittle more.

P.S.

I believe I played a big factor for Halls.

KFLFootball-If you will read the last part of your post (The P.S.). Just as I do sometimes we forget what we once said.

Just because I said I thought I played a big factor for Halls doesnt mean I think of myself as a legend. Maybe I did, maybe I didnt, but by no means did I say I was a legend.

redbyrd he may not be all that bright but football wise he isn't that bad. I mean you can be dumb as dirt but be able to know football. I mean for the option all you have to read is if the tackle takes the dive or not and then read off of the end it's not to hard if you just work at it. And as for the comment of players staying at halls who were supposed to be. Your telling me that 3 or 4 players could just make halls so much better. I mean they have the tallent they just need to find out how to use it. Trust me I played with those guys up until high school and we won championships almost every year but why not in high school. They just need to find out how to use their tallent thats all. Once they do halls will be big contenders.

Mr. Byrd, I would have to agree with the Bobcat fellow. Football, when compared to other sports like baseball, isn't a mental sport. Lockwood is a fine baseball player so I am sure he has the intellect to play a game less mentally challenging. If you don't think so, just ask "the" Lockwood himself.

redbyrd he may not be all that bright but football wise he isn't that bad. I mean you can be dumb as dirt but be able to know football. I mean for the option all you have to read is if the tackle takes the dive or not and then read off of the end it's not to hard if you just work at it. And as for the comment of players staying at halls who were supposed to be. Your telling me that 3 or 4 players could just make halls so much better. I mean they have the tallent they just need to find out how to use it. Trust me I played with those guys up until high school and we won championships almost every year but why not in high school. They just need to find out how to use their tallent thats all. Once they do halls will be big contenders.

three or four players sure did make central better. Hhhhhmmmmm...

As for the option being simple to read, then you've obviously never really tried it. By the way, was it in the 3rd or 4th grade that you saw Lockwood play QB? Things may have changed a little since back in the day.

Bobcat, I don't know a thing about the players that you are talking about. However, 3 players in high school can make a huge difference (depending on the players). You would be hard pressed to convince any one that Central would be just as dominant without Young, Jackson, and Helton. Would Maryville be as good without Thompson, Rouse, and McCord? Now if these players are 1st team bench warmers then your comment is understandable.