Marshall Co vs Crockett Co

craigcoc

Let's talk about the two teams here with no trash talking....I am looking forward to the game Friday night and expect it to be exciting. The Cavs have Earnest Williams and the Tigers have Mario Davis. The Cavaliers have a good offensive line led by Eli Jones. Freshman QB Craig Massey has done a good job taking the snaps for the Cavs and junior Tyler Mosier is a threat on both offense and defense. MLB David White leads the team in tackles and just has a nose for where the ball is going. The kicking game is excellent with junior kicker Alberto Diaz. What about Marshall Co? Who are some of their players to watch? Good luck to both teams. The posts by some other people on this forum does not reflect the feelings of the majority of Cavalier fans and I don't believe it reflects the majority of Marshall county fans either. Last years game got out of hand with the train whistle and ambulance siren. The game will not be decided by the fans of either team but by the players themselves. Crockett Co will be ready to play come Friday. Bring on the Tigers! Good luck to both! B)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marshall County has a good Offensive Line -- Peter Fantoni -RT, Tyler Boykin LT

Alex Berlin LG, Steven Locke RG, Derek Smith C -- Big, Strong w/ good downfield blocking capabilities. They have a junior QB Kevin Bishop who is pretty good size for a QB -- good arm and smart with the ball. Quite a bit of speed with the running game.

They have two Linebackers that have been nicknamed the bruise brothers, Blake Andrews and T.J. Chilton -- they don't have a lot of size but they are quick and will lay the wood to you.

Defense is hurting right now -- both starting defensive ends out for the season early on -- one with dislocated elbow and one with ACL

I believe this will be a very good game, between two very good, well disciplined and well coached teams.

Good Luck to Both and may we have a Injury Free game !!!!

I'm really looking forward to this game...even though I will have to settle for listening over the internet (being 400 mi away and all). I played against Marshall Co. twice in two really great games....and they were two of the most memorable games of my high school career.

That big offensive line worries me, even though we are usally outsized upfront, most teams we play don't have the ability to get downfield and block...our d-line takes out the blockers and the LB's some in to clean up the mess, sounds like it could be shaping up to be a battle to see if Crockett can stop Marshall up front. As far as the Crockett offense goes...it is gonna be quite a challenge to stop them...I'm sure Marshall would just like to slow 'em down, and if they do that and hang around until the 4th...who knows!

...hope all have a safe trip to Alamo and good luck to both teams.

BTW, If any Marshall Co. fans can't make the trip and don't mind listening to the Crockett Co. broadcast...you can hear it online (w/ the newest version of Media Player). Go to www.CrockettFootball.com and click on "Listen". It is the WCTA 810 AM broadcast w/ Timmy Williams and Brooks Rawson giving you the play by play.

I think all four of the teams from Region 6 are good. They are just so evenly matched that they beat up on each other. It happened in 2001 when Crockett Co went to the State Championship game. Round 1 Cavs hold off a very good Page team 26-23. Round 2 Cavs beat Southside 9-7, who beat Marshall Co 29-21 in round 1. Round 3 Cavs beat Sycamore 9-7 on a last second FG. These teams were all quality opponents and I believe we can expect the same this season.

I agree with you Craig. If you look at the scores from Region 5 this year there is a lot of parity. There were no blow outs among the top four in that region. You can't say that about Region 6 this year. I think the game with Marshall County will be very tough. No disrespect to McNairy or Lexington, but I believe the 1 and 2 seeds from Region 6 will have a lot tougher time than the 1 and 2 seeds from Region 5 in the first round.

Good luck Cavaliers.

When you look at the points allowed and points given up by each team, it would appear Crockett has the edge but it's hard to account for the level of competition each has played. The Cavs have given up 7 point per game which is good even if you're playing the pee wee team. Marshall has given 19 PPG but the teams have been more even. If the Marshall defense gives up more than 19 to the Cavs it's going to be tough for them to win. Low scoring will favor Marshall. High scoring will give Crockett the edge. :P

The Cavaliers also come into the game with a home winning streak of 24. It dates back to the final game of the regular season in 2000. Doesn't mean it can't be broken, just an impressive statistic. Do the Cavaliers really play better at home? In watching both home and away games it seems the Cavaliers have more confidence when they play on the home turf than on the road. What do ya'll think? Does home field make that much of a difference in HS. The home teams have won about 51% of the games this season according to the Massey ratings.

I think playing at home versus playing away makes very little difference, in high school. There are a lot of distractions on road trips and distractions aren't good for a football team. I know when I was playing it was a lot easier to realx and get my head focused for the game when I was able to go through the normal routine at home versus a long bus ride where you get cramped up and are in a different setting. But then again, there is a feeling of excitement involved in taking a road trip...while I never enjoyed a bus ride, I was pumped up to beat the opponents on their turf. I think for better teams it probably doesn't matter much, they have the discipline and the leaders to keep their focus...for other teams those distractions are magnified and show up on the field.

51% comes to a difference of about 30 games...according to my estimates there were 1520 game this year, with the home team winning 775 games and the road team winning 745, approximately. But take into acount all the poorer programs that play 6 or 7 road games a year and that will inflate the home team's winning percentage. So I would say, based on the numbers that for the majority of teams...where a game is played has no factor on the outcome.

Edited by FormerCav