Barefoot Kicking

timbertalker

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=blu

i think the rule should stay because kickers most of the time play other postions on the team and even during kickoffs or other special team plays the kicker is usually

going downfield to make plays unlike college or the NFL. therefore a kicker would need a kicker would need a cleat to keep his foot from being steeped on or injured.

Tiger fan18 you have a great point....a kicker taking his shoe off could take him out of a play that could mean alot in a ballgame. Some reason he ends up on the bottom of a pile with a broken foot that had been stepped on because he didn't have a shoe on. Then where would he be for the rest of the game? I also see the other side. Wouldn't matter i see no harm in it whatever floats the boat or scores the point!!

Edited by Bond

One reason is to keep the foot safe. I played under coach pack at cpa in 97 and one of our punters wanted to kick barefoot. He said he wanted all eleven men on the field to be able to run and tackle. even the kickers. I feel the same. If you are barefoot you lose traction i.e. cleat. i hate seeing kickers that only kick. after a punt or kick off they stand around doing nothing but watching. My favorite kickers are those that run down the field after a kick and give that extra help.

last year we had a guy named Marcus Toliver who played defensive end. he lost his helmet during a play and continued on his tackle and went head up with a tail back. he ran through the runner but he knocked out some of his teeth. just like kickin barefoot you know you take the chance of being hurt but its your desition. marcus could have stoped and not hit the guy but he made his own choice. i say that if the player plays more than just kicker then let him wear a cleat but if he dont and he would rather kick barefoot he cant right now because of the rules. i say let them change the rule and let the kickers who want to take the chance take it.

• 20 years later...