best football team in past 20 years

easttnfballfan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oak Ridge won a NC, but it was in '58. I've heard of the Baylor team. When Oak Ridge had the Coach named Emory something, I think they had a team in the late seventies or early eighties that was ranked high nationally. Thank you for your responses. I know there is no way to tell who the best would be, but it sure is fun to think about/argue/discuss/talk about.

okay guys , debate whose the best but dont bring up the "national championship" stuff . the usa today national championship is comedy . those teams never play each other and for the most part , nobody from usa today ever sees them play . its done on name recognition 1st , wins second . for example , valdosta has won 3 usa todaytitles and never played delasalle or evangel or whoever . its high school football . state champions only . the usa today stuff is exactly what it says , MYTHICAL .

A couple of the Father Ryan teams with Mike Wright and Scottie Madison in the mid 70s were pretty good.

That 72 Tennessee High team didn't really have any big "stars", but it was very deep, and well coached. It resembled the Maryville teams of the last 3 years.

Another great team was the Melrose team with Ced Wilson, the Tayor kid (first name escapes me at the moment) and the other standouts they had.

Another would be the Riverdale teams of Eric Locke and Gerald Griffith.

The Chattanooga Howard team with Reggie White and Charles Morgan has to be included, also.

There are a ton of candidates, but those are a few that come to mind.

Th topic I thought said last 20 years!! That would be 1983-2003. We are showing our age bringing up the 70's!! HA! HA! Anyway, I think the Marion Co. teams of 1994 and 1995, South Pitt. in 1999, Cleveland in their 3 year run 1992-1994 (WoW at some of those athletes, Cobb brothers, Corey Prigmore, Dante Hickey etc. These are some of the best ever in my humble opinion. :D