best football team in past 20 years

easttnfballfan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BA '95 baely beat CLarksville NE 7-3 in the quarters and they were down 10-7 going into the 4th vs MBA in the semis that year. In '96 BA beat MBA in 2 OT's. If those BA teams are mentioned, then these others must not be far behind. Most of the other great teams on this tread were never tested.

THe Central team of the early 90's I believe it was 92, but TOdd Helton was the QB and they averaged ocer 50 points a game, Oak Ridge was the only team to score in double digits on them, They broke a ton of TN scoring records it was amazing. We had the highlight tape in our locker room, but I dont know what happened to it. But in the history of TN football there hasnt been a larger scoring margin of any past championws....

The Next team I would have to say started with Donte Hickey and ended in 96 with their loss the Anderson County. THey won 54 games in a row, and no one at that time had a longer winning streak in the nation.....

I'm gonna go with the best that I've seen play. The best would have to be the '91 Oak Ridge team with Shawn Summers, Richard Howard, Mike Underwood(he was a HUGE quarterback), and several other monsters. The '87 Jeff. County team would probably be second. The '88 Dickson County team was dominating, the Vaughn kid was a stud! The '92 Gallatin team was also very good. The '93 Lincoln County team with Grogan and Henderson has to be up there. The '95 BA team has to rank up there too, along with the Eric Locke led Riverdale team.

Like I said, these are teams that I actually saw play in person, so I'm sure there are others.

Edited by Sensation

I'm gonna go with the best that I've seen play. The best would have to be the '91 Oak Ridge team with Shawn Summers, Richard Howard, Mike Underwood(he was a HUGE quarterback), and several other monsters. The '87 Jeff. County team would probably be second. The '88 Dickson County team was dominating, the Vaughn kid was a stud! The '92 Gallatin team was also very good. The '93 Lincoln County team with Grogan and Henderson has to be up there. The '95 BA team has to rank up there too, along with the Eric Locke led Riverdale team.

Like I said, these are teams that I actually saw play in person, so I'm sure there are others.

Sensation - i would agree with you about all those teams except for the 91 Oakridge team. Their tailback (#40 - can't remember his name may have been the best high school football player I've ever seen). Even though they were good, they were very weak in two areas: one you mentioned - quarterback. In my opinion, they won in spite of him. He had two great receivers (don't remember their names who made him look good in spite of numerous bad throws). Their defense wasn't great either. #40 was a man though. Of all the teams I've seen, the Riverdale teams of the mid nineties had unbelievable athletes. Their defense was unreal. Also, Dickson County lined up in the power I and ran it down peoples' throats. Nobody could stop them when they won it even though most people in the stadium knew they were going to run the ball. The Maryville teams of late must be good. I haven't seen them play much, but they never hardly lose. I saw the Brentwood/Clarksville game in 95 or 96. If it weren't for that game, I would nominate Brentwood. Also, Oakland had some good teams in the late 80s.

Just because a team is tested doesn't mean they should not be included in this thread. BA's 95 and 96 teams were 30-0, and Clarksville NE had a couple of fantastic running backs in Travis Stephens and Tim Terry. Stephens was quite possibly the best High School player Tennessee has produced. I know there are many who have gone on and done much better in the NFL but I have never seen a player dominate as much as Stephens did in High School, especially his Junior year.

If I am not mistaken both of those years when MBA played BA they were undefeated with some pretty good athletes as well (ex. Will Bartholomew, and the kicker who went on to Vandy as well as many others)

I can say the BA teams of 95 and 96 were much better than the teams of 93 and 94 who only lost close games to Cleveland with the Cobb twins, Haywood Co. with Corey Moore, and Robert E. Lee out of Montgomery AL with Fred Weary.

So who is to say who the best teams in Tennessee history are but as for me it is the BA teams of 95 and 96.