High School Bands

twh06

What is the big deal with a band playing at a football game they are there for a reason to beleive it or not. They have to learn how to march and play and all of that just like a football player has to learn plays. I dont know about other schools but at Wayne County the band works their butts off all the time trying to learn their show to entertain people during half time. Wayne County fans love to hear their band especially the football team the band helps pep them up during the game. So all you sore losing fans dont start putting the blame of your loss off on a band!!!!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At each school, bands have different functions: some are strictly Pep bands, some perform halftime music for entertainment, some are marching bands, but for other schools, bands are deadly serious competition bands. Schools like McGavock, Overton, Brentwood and the like are putting together shows for their schedule of competitions. The attitude of the band director is the key. That attitude filters down through the band members, and more importantly, their parents. The band director can view his work as being part of the Friday night experience, or he can view it as a burden. He can work with the athletic department, or stand entirely separate from it and do their own thing. If the band director supports wholeheartedly the football program, you've got a good thing going. If they don't fully do that, it leads to animosity and resentments. I have been to games where it worked that way-band parents only showing up for half-time, band playing when you've got the ball during live ball situations despite protests from the coaches and parents; heck, I've seen it almost come to blows. Bottom line-a good band director can help, or they can create a dangerous situation that fractures school spirit.

but for other schools, bands are deadly serious competition bands. Schools like McGavock, Overton, Brentwood and the like are putting together shows for their schedule of competitions. The attitude of the band director is the key......... The band director can view his work as being part of the Friday night experience, or he can view it as a burden.

Excellent points made. Yes there is a time for competition, and a time for being the entertainers or pep groups. I have marched drum corps with the Crossmen and Glassmen, and know what serious marching band is all about, and that is Saturdays for highschool bands, and the summer for drum corps. Fridays are the times we need to support the team just like the rest of the fans, and cheerleaders, but with the advantage of having an instrument. Music is a tool that can be used to move the soul, or in this case get people to cheer and be excited for their team.

Well Wayne County has a great band program they are under the direction of the great "MAC DADDY CRUM" other wise known as Mr Crum. He has made the band go from making 2 and 3's to str8 1's that's impressive. He is a big school spirit fanatic he loves to please everyone that comes to the game with his band. But they know when Coach Crews and the cats are right in front of them not to play so football and band are starting to come together a little more at Wayne County because the band is being supportive of them plus getting a lot better on top of that. Wayne County's band is the best its ever been. They will also play at 2 or 3 basketball games on top of that so they are very supportive of sports. But what people dont realize bands have concerts, honor bands, competitions,etc on top of football, basketball , and all sports and they cant do everything but they do as much as they can.

Good season cats we (the band) are very proud of yall.

GO CATS GO!!!!!