Cloudland vs Elizabethon Scrimmage

notjustafan

asis why wouldn't notjustafan defend the program he and a brother came from avery co. a few years ago and has a younger brother playing at this time. i stand on what was told to me this team has no discipline whatsoever. if all we can do is get up to play unaka and yet lose to a terrible washburn team we are in serious trouble. you read his post and you can see the lack of maturity on his part. i am sure he would justify anything as long as this certain kid got to play. he boast on winning titles and is hung up on beating unaka. sometimes i just sit back and shake my head. the same old stuff that flooded the football board is about to flood the basketball board. did anyone read what coach ensor of unaka said in today's basketball addition. i have never had a team dig down as much as the this one did in last year's loss against hancock co. they started working the next day after that loss and has been in the gym ever since then. now how much do you think this team has improved in over a year's period. i can promise you that we are only kidding ourselves if we think we are going to walk over unaka this season. i am not so sure that they might be the best team in this area. not one minute will ensor let them think that. he will work them to death up to tournament time. wait and see if they don't go to murfreesboro. it's call discipline. remember that. this is what will always distance us from having the program that unaka's has.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im verry serous ASIs I hat landrs that dang much but i aint a goin on an on bout it today cause my tooth is hurtin to much an all i got hear is bufferin any a yuo boy no if bufferin helps a hedake an toothake any i need a buffer cawse this pane is turable

get some excedrin ....disolve it in 'bout a teaspoon of very hot water. Then apply it directly on the sore spot. Works great...tastes like * & % $ :D

Oh, and it really doesn't last that long...so, where ever you go, make sure to carry that little 'cedrin bottle with you. And of course, that teaspoon.... :D

I am not sure I should comment about this but I will anyway.

One thing that I can compliment Smith on is that he wants to win, and yes, he does put his best on the floor most of the time. In the past, at Cloudland, I have saw players get playing time just for political reasons such as whose parents hang out in the lockerroom after the game, and who had the most success in football (even though it didn't carry over in basketball at all) and so on. Well, Smith doesn't do this. Smith puts his best 5 on the floor. Now to really comment on the situation, I feel that one would actually have to be in the trenches to see what exactly was going on. Robbie Tolley is the most talented basketball player in Carter County, and with the exception of maybe Redd from Elizabethton and possibly Dugger from Unaka a few years back, he is the most talented to play in Carter County in the past 10 years. Is he the best basketball player, though? Well, not now, but he could be. He just doesn't realize what tools he has in his bag, and he is lazy...no bones about it. But, if and when, he ever grows out of it---Cloudland could be a force. I think Smith is laying his chips all on this if and when. Is it right? Well, that decision is up to Smith, and likewise, the benefits or reprecussions will all fall on his shoulders, so before we start throwing stones at the man, lets see how things turn out.

To the comment about Smith moving down the road----would it really surprise anyone for a Cloudland basketball coach to only coach at that school for a couple of years? Now, lets be real people--how many Cloudland head coaches have had an invested interest in that program. Some Cloudland players are burdened with playing with 3 head coaches in a 4 year period. How sucessful can a program be with this sort of change? Some excellent basketball coaches have stepped on the floor at Cloudland (and I am talking about upper-eschelon---Jerry White, the legend, and Todd Barnett), but in the end, better situations and bigger money seems to always draw them down the road, and if they do not leave on their own accord, the politics of who just won the local schoolboard race sometimes costs them a job. And, quiete frankly, that is the jest of it.

In my opinion, Smith has done a good job during his tenure. All the other questions and remarks are really irrelevant as to the current situation. If you go back and look at the nuts and bolts of what is Cloudland basketball---it has came a long way in the past 7 years. Starting with when Coach Jay Hall coached the Landers back a few years ago, the Lander program has been on the upswing. Of course, politics disposed of Hall (see what I mean?). But, thats besides the point. Before the schoolboard starts looking at the motives of the coaches, they should take one good look in the mirror and see who isn't getting promoted and who they are disposing of. In my opinion, the whole political element is what is ultimately hurting Cloudland. Personally, I know of some coaches who are tremendous basketball coaches that are supressed and shelved and ultimatley moved to different places in the county due to the politics of the matter.

To the question of whether or not Cloudland wants a sucessful basketball program. The answer is an emphatic yes, that do want a sucessful program. Now, I know where you are coming from with this question, there was a point in time when Cloudland basketball was just a mere joke, but those times are gone. Over the past couple of years, support has been growing, and truthfully, Cloudland basketball doesn't receive the support from the community that it should. But, that is no fault of the current coaching staff of the players or anyone associated with the football program. These days basketball and football work together to the best of my knowledge. Any kid that is truly a basketball player wants to win and the chance to compete.

What ever the case, I support Smith, he has to play with the cards he has been dealt. And, whatever choices he has to make after the season, well those are his own, and I am sure that he will willingly accept the consequences and reprecussions. Smith is great at teaching the fundamentals. He is no more of a politician than the rest of us.

Edited by rolltideroll

Welcome back Rolltide. Finally a post that has made good sense to me. He is a tremendous talent and a very good kid. I don't know him or his work habits very well and I won't touch that at all. But I feel that the key to the Lander success will be with Mark. You take him off the floor and it would hurt Cloudland via way of leadership. Some kids are winners and they just refuse to lose. Take Mark off the floor and its like taking the fizz out of Pepsi. Flat as a flitter.

It is good to see you back Roll! Yeah Mark is a big part of this team and has been for a few years now. Everyone knows that. I dont know who all these people are talking about that are not getting the playing time or respect or whatever. Yeah i know that no player is ever going to get all the playing time he may want. I know i never did when i played! But thats another story. As Rolltide stated Smith puts the best five that he has on the floor. Yeah at times he may make mistakes, but doesnt everyone. I think its good that Smith is actually willing to stay around and help build this team into something. Think back, it hasnt been that long since winning was a problem. And i am not talking about a mistake like Washburn, i am talking games such as Clinch.

Would you people give Smith a harder time for letting Robbie play and winning or not playing him and losing 20 or 25 games! Thats something you need to really consider it seems to me.

And about a comment i saw earlier, where are the adults! If its you then you need to start acting like it, and if your from Roan Mtn. the stop talking bad about the team and try cheerin them on instead! Ever thought about that!

And who in the world came from Avery County and played and then went back to Avery to graduate??? U have lost. Yeah i am sure people know who i am. I have no problem with that, but i came in and was part of a team that was down badly and by the time i left i felt that our team had really built something. And just so you know our little brother is a key part of the Lander team this year. They only one that i know of from Avery. And if he doesnt earn the time then theres something wrong. I just really dont like people getting on here and talking about stuff that they dont really know that much about. I dont mean any thing against anyone, you know who i am but i still dont know who you are. But thats fine with me. I am just here to do as i always have, and thats to support the landers in anyway that i can. And i wish the team and most of all COACH SMITH the best of luck.

Edited by notjustafan

well well well i know i promised to be nice since my dpsw debut this year and on the most part i have been buuuuuuttt rolltide tdog your stradling pick a side please for i dont want to yak on my new UC santa barbra shirt thank you and have a nice (oops to late bluuuuut) day does anyone have a wet wipe who gets this cleaning bill

If I were from a different part of the county,I,d say ,boy I,d get rid of that ole Tolley boy. People on here are not worried about Cloudlands future. Cloudlands future in basketball look very bright. Coach Smith is a very good coach and I hope he will be here for along time. Notjustafan, I think your younger brother is going to be a dandy in a couple of sports, he has really matured and the boy has alot of talent.

Hey caca, i'm not straddling the fence. My blood runs deep maroon. I glad to see you got a new shirt. Heck tell me your size and I might get you a Clyde Clod University "Fighting Possums" shirt. I can't speak for any other fan but from this Ranger fan I hope Tolley plays. Heck I've seen him since he was 7 years old and it wouldn't be the same without him playing. He is an excellent player with great skills. I am sure the players from both teams hope he plays. As Ric Flair once said to be the man you got to beat the man. You would want to beat us with our big guns and likewise we would want to do the same to you. I hope that both teams are at full speed and healthy for the entire season.

Hey guys from reading some of the earlier posts I think we're missing the true point here. Would Tolley be playing if he was just an average player? If an average player had quit as many times as it is said Tolley has, and missed as many times as Tolley has, would he still be playing. I don't believe you can justify treating a player different just because he has all the ability in the world. Yes Tolley from what I've seen could be a great player. He is a Senior isn't he? If he's not developed by now I kind of doubt he will. Sounds just like another kid that could have been. And they've been a lot of them. The team must come first to build a program. Sometimes sacrifices must be made in order to develop the foundation. Is winning some games more important then teaching a young man responsiblity, dedication, and good work ethic. Not only him but other members of the team. Coaches sometimes feel they can't win without certain players, but are they really winning? I also think Coach Smith has done a good job but maybe has overlooked what his decisions with Tolley has done to the rest of the team.