Jamont Gordon best in STATE

cdm2003

Jamont can't read, but instead of you tutoring him and others in his situation, you sit and brag about how good he is.

Coach,

I commented on his talent on the court - which is all I know. People that sit in the bleachers don't know the life stories of each kid on the floor like a coach does. You know his situation and definitely don't like it, seems like helping him would be better suited for you - not sitting on a messageboard lecturing others who don't know Gordon, or his academic standing.

Coachkev, what are you doing to help this kid?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everybody always trying to down Jamont instead of encouraging him everybody knows that his grades are not all that but at least he trying to do some good in his life instead some of the coaches are always saying he cant read or he cant pass English how do you know that if you are not around him all the time ask people who know the truth, if he was so dumb then why is he still playing on the team quit haiting on the kid because he's doing good cant we try to do a little more encouraging instead of downing, and Jamont is the best in the state. :P:)

We do have the priviledge of seeing Jamont now as we were amazed by Demarco

Polk and countless others who were great high school players,but it still saddens

me to think of the impact players like this could make at the college level and more importantly the impact an education could have on some of these lives.

It hurts to look at some of these kids just after high school when I know the potential is there and the kid just looks lost in life.Their are some uninformed people

thinking Jamont will go straight to the NBA,or like one of his relatives told me "he

will only play one year of college".With this type of mentality there is one less reason for him to work harder in the class room.Five years ago in Nashville we

had three players average over 20+ a game. JUCO was the best any could do

out of high school.This is a problem all over not just at Stratford,

This is probably one of the best threads I have seen on this site, since I have been posting. We are all talking about the same thing and it affects many of our high school athletes today. Kids should be encouraged to use their god given talents to the best of their ability, but at the same time, they must be challenged in the classroom. If Jamont deservers Mr. Basketball, he should get it...no if, ands, or buts. If his grades are deserving of a D-1 scholarship...he should get it. If not, he should be guided so he can have the chance to play for a D-1 school. He should be coached like the NBA may be an option if he decides to work hard, but his education is his crutch that he can lean on if his god given talents don't take him where he wants to go.

agree krogers.

Hopefully basketball will be the catalyst to get his education. If he could not read his first year he played for a school, participating on that team shouldn't have been an option.

I'll guarantee basketball would have been a reason to learn if that education was required to play. That was the requirement when I was in school. Is it not now???

It is funny how the school system, or the coaches seem to always get the blame for the misfortune of all these potential superstars. Did anyone ever stop to the think that some people just never take responsibility for their own actions. I don't feel a bit sorry for any of these athletes because they had a right to choose the path they took, as will Jamont Gordon. Someone once told me: "for every one Michael Jordan there is a million just like him that failed to make the necessary choices to get there". If anyone is to blame it is the family and the individual involved and no one else. Coaches can have an impact, but the bottom line is this; the individual will pave their own road, whether it's with gravel or gold it's their decision. :lol:

Great post TWHOOPS...

If a kid doesn't have the drive to get his education and do what it takes to succeed in life, then we can't lay blame on anyone but the person responsible...the child. However, when the child has the drive and doesn't get any help, thats when the responsibiltiy comes back on the coaches and school system. First and foremost, the child is the prime decision maker in this equation. I also agree with the fact that if a child isn't cutting it in the classroom, then he shouldn't be allowed to step foot on the b-ball floor until he makes acceptable grades. I recall my father saying numerous times, get your education, because very few people make a living playing ball. How true that statement is today. Jamont may have the talent to play in the league, but what if something unexpected happened and he was no longer able to play ball...what would he do. Chances are, he would be the one that takes our order at Burger King during lunch hour. Everything said in this post and thread is the sad truth.