Jamont Gordon best in STATE

cdm2003

I also heard Demarco Polk was gr8 as well. I think we need to look at the big picture instead of cheating the kid of an education. I am so tired of watching gr8 kids for 4 years get used by the system and become useless after the final horn. How Demarco won Mr. Basketball over Mario I will never know. Mario had the grades to get into Vanderbilt, while Marco lasted a week @ JUCO (shame on you Stratford). The same thing can be said about Cory Brewer an early qualifier @ a top 10 program in Florida. Give respect for student athletes not the Streetball legends. This is the reason why TN gets no respect nationally recruiting wise. Over 1/2 of the kids don't qualify. If Jamont's grades are low and will not qualify to play D1 next year, why are we talking about him? Shouldn't we be preparing him for the real world?

Be honest..................

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post coachkev!

How can a player be called the best at any level if he isn't even being recruited by a D-1 school. I guess you're right, he is the best. When he plays with the 4th graders at the park! It doesn't matter how good he is if he's not going on to the next level. You say he's better than Tyler? The only problem i have with that is that in 3 years, when i'm watching tyler play at whatever college he wants to Jamont will be on the same level as me, simply a fan still talking about how much better he is than tyler. Why don't we be for real, and stop writing posts that are written for no other purpose than to talk about how much better someone is than Tyler.

LEBRON WHO?

Great post Coachkev. I think the person who made this post wasent planning on everyone getting on here and blazing Gordons bad grades or talking about how much his team stinks. I believe they were going for more of a one on one Jamont could take anyone in the state. I havent seen alot of other big name players play yet this season so I cant be the judge. The only people who could really be the judge is people who played aginst both guys.

Great Post Coach. Does anyone know that Jamont should be a Senior this year, and is older than most of the Juniors he is competing with?? I feel sorry for that kid because there is so much hype about how well he is going to do when he cannot even get into a D-1 school. I have seen him play and i have to say that he does seem better than Tyler Smith, and the Delk brothers but the golden rule in life is "work before play." and Jamont has seen it the other way around his whole life.

If Jamont's grades are low and will not qualify to play D1 next year, why are we talking about him? Shouldn't we be preparing him for the real world?

Be honest..................

Discuss him because he's an amazing talent - which is hard to come by in this state. From what I gather, the question was on the present, not the future. It was about comparing talent on the floor - not GPA's.

Applying your standard coachkev, if a player can not reach D1 ball (for whatever reason), we shouldn't even discuss them - just be "preparing them for the real world". I doubt you really believe this.

All ballplayers are student-athletes, some are better athletes than students and vice versa. I really believe Tennessee gets little respect nationally b/c the number of possible D-1 recruits (including the non-qualifiers) is much too low per capita. The 2005 class will be an exception, IMO.

Tennessee has the same if not more athletes as KY,MS,AL,GA. Why do all of the mentioned states have kids who qualify and we sit and drool over kids who will never see the floor @ a university. You will turn your back on him as everyone else will. This time next year you will be taliking about aqnother future "has been". I speak the truth, get to know the situation first before speaking on per capita nonsense. Jamont can't read, but instead of you tutoring him and others in his situation, you sit and brag about how good he is. Look @ the big picture!!!!! He is being used...........

Coackev...that is so true. What good is that talent if he never sees the college floor because of his grades. You can never count your chickens before they hatch. In this day and time, there are plenty of athletes around the country that are just as good as Jamont and have better grades...they get the scholarships. Also, the chance of such a player going to straight to the league is nearly impossible, so that is not an option for such a player as Jamont. Last but not least, would you want to turn an 18 yr. old, that couldn't pass basic english or math loose with millions of dollars...probably not. I agree with coachkev...grades before games...the games can wait.

So should we NOT talk about someone being a great ballplayer if their grades aren't up to par? I am confused as to how this thread came to this point... I agree with some of the comments that have been made, but I still think that a player should receive accolades regardless of scholastic performances. DeMarco was a better player than Mario in '02 and should have received Mr. Basketball, but should he have not received that award because Mario was going to a school like Vandy and DeMarco was just headed to a JUCO school? NO... Should we have left DeMarco out of our commentary then about being a great player? NO... If a kid isn't going D-1 because of grades, then I would think that accolades on the high school level would be a good thing...

Like I said earlier, I do agree that more nurturing should be given to athletes to make sure they can make it to D-1, but I think some of the comments would be more appropriate in another thread, not a thread about someone being a great player on the court...Happy Thanksgiving....

That was a great post Ballplayer32...

I feel and understand both sides of this argument. It is very sad when a kid can't qualify, and most of the time the blame goes back to the TN school system...

But when discussing a kid's ability to play ball, you can't just dismiss a kid because he isn't as smart. DeMarco Polk was a heck of a basketball player, very much deserved Mr. Basketball, and, yes, is another sad story in Metro HS Hoops. Polk was a better player in '02 (like bp32 said) than Mario. The kid was amazing, and could do things on the court that I still have not seen anyone in the state of TN do in the last decade...

The same goes for Gordon. The kid is an unbelievable talent. And, yes, I do feel he is a better player than Smith after continuing to watch both players for years now. Gordon may not have the grades to go D-1, but he will definitely not be the only one. Many athletes succeed through the Junior College ranks, including Rockets All-Star G Steve Francis. But just because Gordon may not qualify for a D-1 school right out of College doesn't mean the kid won't have every oppotunity to succeed...