Halftime Band..boost or bore?

Dart

Dear Posters,

At halftime at the football game I am at, the band goes through the same routine each and every game. The half time performance is using the time as a "practice field" for band competitions. This is not unusual but is a bore and certainly a band can play for practice at away games and even ONCE IN A WHILE do something more boosting to the crowd who came to see the game!

At least, I would believe the band part should be more supportive of the game at hand and not to always use the home field as a practice session during halftime.

At your school, does the band do the same thing each game? Is the band director alert enough to actually have some variation and boosting stuff for the fans? Let me know. Is it a rule or something to do the same routine at every home game?

Surely, a halftime show can be more of a boost to the fans than the bore it becomes with constant repeat every game.

God Bless. Dart.

Edited by Dart

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's done well, It dosen't matter. They'll always be enjoyable. "And the Band played on"....and I, for one, love it. (keeps me moving in the cold ;) )

If you play in the band, any band, my hat's off to you.

Maryville plays the same thing every game (and it's splendid!....hip too!) but I suspect so do all the other schools.......You can't teach a whole group new music and choreography in a week or 10 different routines over a summer. Just enjoy and see what they do. Make it fun.

i usually talk football with my buds during half time , but i gotta tell you , i've really enjoyed MARYVILLE'S band this year !!! this is one cool band !! they put a great show on !! i was at the UT game today and i saw the best half time show i've ever saw at a game , it was hilarious !!! they did a 12 days of Christmas theme routine , this guy would sing it out while the band formed whatever he was referring to ......... you had to be there , it was awesome :D

Don't post much, but you have struck a nerve with me. I know the band at the BBS-SP game last night (boyd's band imparticular) got the crowd pumped up. I watched a crowd give a standing ovation to our group for about a minute and a half. For those who don't know, that's a long time to be standing clapping. I think this reenergized a crowd that was wound up tight with only a 10 point lead at halftime. I know that's what it did for me.

Boyd's crowd, in my opinion, loves to watch the band perform. It takes a long time to learn a show and to learn it well. Yeah. We get ready for contests, but by now, the contests are all over. Most of the bands I know now are getting ready for concert season. This ain't college. If we wrote a show that the band could "park and play", half the crowd wouldn't pay attention at all. We try to use halftime to show people that we not only have one of the best 1A football teams in the state, but we also have one of the best 1A bands in the state as well.

Sorry you think the halftime shows are sometimes boring. Those kids out there, though, work their butts off during the year and deserve to be recognized. So get up and let 'em know you are proud of 'em. Yeah. Football games are supposed to be about watching great games and the excitement of Friday nights, but most importantly they are to showcase your kids.

BucBandwagon

Edited by BucBandwagon

I always think a band adds so much to a high school football game. We didn't have a band, and only one of the teams in our region had a band when I played. In my entire high school career, I think I played in a total of maybe 12 or 13 games where a team had a band. It always fired me up when the opposing team's band would play their fight song and then their generally lousy off-key version of Rocky Top.

And pepvol, today's show was great, but their "12 Days" show two years ago was even better. The 2001 show included several shots at Steve Spurrier and UConn, including this picture on the jumbotron of Spurrier repeatedly throwing his visor.

our plays the same music,which is to be expected . they can only learn the music and marching routines to so much. BUT to take the whole third quarter off to socialize? and to not play the fight song when we score because they are milling around like a herd of cattle is to much. Someone needs to pay attention. After all they are there to support and encourage the team and the fans. the halftime shows are great but who watchs them but the band members parents. there i have said it and got it off my chest. I apologize the all the band member and their parents cause i know they will sure be sore but that's how a lot of people feel at the games.

Guest CubsFan
I always think a band adds so much to a high school football game. We didn't have a band, and only one of the teams in our region had a band when I played. In my entire high school career, I think I played in a total of maybe 12 or 13 games where a team had a band. It always fired me up when the opposing team's band would play their fight song and then their generally lousy off-key version of Rocky Top.

And pepvol, today's show was great, but their "12 Days" show two years ago was even better. The 2001 show included several shots at Steve Spurrier and UConn, including this picture on the jumbotron of Spurrier repeatedly throwing his visor.

Bigwes69,

I was at that UT game and I remember that halftime show I liked! I mean, that's one of ages and UT band did a great job of it. I must say I left the stadium still laughing after that one. :P