Halftime Band..boost or bore?

Dart

I have been to many football games this season, I have seen some boring bands and some not so boring bands, but hats of to Stratfords band, they get it hype. I was going for Hillsboro but the band was so hype I was about to change sides!! When a band plays good songs its worth hearing!! Im all for bands at halftime if they play some quality music!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our plays the same music,which is to be expected . they can only learn the music and marching routines to so much. BUT to take the whole third quarter off to socialize? and to not play the fight song when we score because they are milling around like a herd of cattle is to much. Someone needs to pay attention. After all they are there to support and encourage the team and the fans. the halftime shows are great but who watchs them but the band members parents. there i have said it and got it off my chest. I apologize the all the band member and their parents cause i know they will sure be sore but that's how a lot of people feel at the games.

To suggest that the band is only in the stands to support the football team is as demeaning to the band as it is wrong. Yes, the band is at the game in support of it's team, but also to entertain the crowd and to give their own performance. Obviously you appreciate the band or you wouldn't recognize that they weren't playing in the third quarter, so why the animosity?

The football team takes a break and rests during half-time. During this same (15 to 20 minute) halftime, the bands are performing. Isn't it fair to give the band a 12-minute quarter off after playing the whole first half and the entire half-time? Have you ever tried to play an instrument for two hours without a break?

As to the posters who complain about the same show every week, do you realize how complicated it is to learn (usually memorize) ten minutes of music and drill? These kids are also working on concert music, All-State, All-County, and/or All-Region auditions, and are spending a large part of their class time becoming better musicians. While most students in the band enjoy being at football games, this is by no means the main focus of any band program.

If you don't like the band, feel free to go to the concession stand during their performance. If you are like most schools, there are more band parents than football parents in the stands, and they'd love to be able to see the reason they came to the game.

Over the years, I've seen schools that, at times, had fans at the game for the bands and not necessarily football (ie. Overton, McGavock, Franklin, Milan). These students put as much time, effort, and training into their extra curricular activity as the athletes. Some of the better ones did vary their presentation slightly to keep the entertainment fresh while not jeopardizing their competitive presentation, just as we varied game plans to suit our goal, winning.

In any case, if the kids are having fun in band, why would we care that they are wanting to play for us?

I'm sure this could go on another board, but, how many of the football players or coaches have gone to support the band at their competitions? I'm sure some have, but most wouldn't. These kids put a lot of effort into making their show the best it can be. They do it for the competition, the creative nature, or for the pure joy of entertaining. Some of the same reasons football players play football. I for one think that bands add a great deal to the games. Its especially entertaining when two rival schools have good bands try to one up each other.

Prior exp: three years in high school band watching two older brothers play football and one year playing football.

T o answer the question about why bands do the same show all year... Well 1) some bands pay anywhere from 800 - $2500 just getting drill written 2) you need to perfect one thing b4 moving to another 3) they also have concert and stands music to work on during the year

Good post twh, thats exactly why they play the same thing over and over. Not every school can afford the sheet music. It gets very expensive. Thats why we should all do more to help our band programs. These kids work very hard, and as a musician I know how much the music means to them. To those dedicated musicians-music makes the world go 'round. Games without the band just seem a little too quiet, and our band always cheers for the teams.

Wow!

When I posted this thread I thought it might be pulled for lack of interest.

Glad to see some thoughts from you folks. I like band music but get tired of the same routine every home game. Sure, during the game, the active band will generate a lot of spunk and excitement if in tune with what is happening on the field.

Still, halftime show repeats every week are a bit much for me at home games. I do repsect the band members and our band sounds great..does it really well but it is the SAME THING each week at home games. A good set of fight song and get with it stuff, even more "another one bites the dust" might help the crowd during the half. I want to think the halftime is more that just another practice session.

Great comments.

God Bless. Dart.