Halftime Band..boost or bore?

Dart

No. It's not a rule that you have to play the same thing at each football game. Oh gosh were to start. It takes bands forever to learn those songs and the drill and the rest of the stuff that the band directors add to it. I know because I'm in the Huntingdon band. I can't stress how hard it is to learn! It's very rare to see a high school band do a different show. It takes up to much time to learn new songs and drill. It also costs a lot of money. College bands usually change their shows. They can because they are more experienced. Colleges pay for their band's needs and whatever they want, whereas high school has to go through fund raisers to raise money. If high school bands changed every week, do you know how bad it would sound??? It would be HORRIBLE! Trust me I know. I am sorry if you are tired of hearing "the same old songs". You have to take in consideration that this is high school you're talking about and not college. Yes we do use the football field for practice. It's usually like a dress rehearsal. Since competitions are on Saturday, we do dress rehearsals on Friday nights. I absolutely can't stand it when football players and coaches talk about how boring the band is! :angry: I want to see some of them play some of those instruments and march at the same time! People like you make me furious!!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear mustangbandie,

My feeling about half time shows is that the same routine does get pretty dry after a couple of home games. Sure, I do generally enjoy the visiting band. I also believe the active bands during the game add a lot to the crowd enthusiasm.

Eventhough I would like to see something different at half time from the home band, your honest and clear reply shows the realities of why that does not happen.

The post is appreciated.

God Bless. Dart.

A few thougts from a music lover and sports nut.........

1) My band (Maryville) plays the same show every week. Every week my band gets a standing ovation. The show is that good. I look forward to seeing it. It is part of my Friday night.

2) The quality of the band is exactly like the quality of the football team. They both require good leadership. They both require good feeder programs. They both require community and fan support. They both require commitment and hard work from the members to be excellent.

3) That performance during half time is just as important to the band members and their parents as the game is to the football players and their parents.

4) The band boys have more fun on the bus ride home from away games than the football players do :blink: (majorettes, flag corp, wind section, etc.) if you get my drift.

So you big macho football guys go ahead and bash the band. I'll stick with them.

By the way, Rebelsman has played, refereed, or coached football since he was ten years old (now 45). He did do a short stint in the band until the band director made him choose between band and football.

Go Rebels and Rebels Band.

my friend, you have slept thru one of the best performances in the state , cleveland had it all together this year.

band competition runs with football season, and there's no way a quality band will jeopardize a saturday run by trying to add something different for the friday nite crowd.

no one can fully appreciate high school band unless they or a family member have participated. over four years, i've watched endless hours of practice in heat and cold, sat through some terrible football games, some freezing temps, and some soaking rains in support of a tremendous band, and i wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.

First of all it's Ok for the band to play after Touchdowns, in between plays, And to try a get your teams, fans in the grove of the game. But band have there own

events to compete in. On Friday nights it doesn't matter to alot of people if they play or not. These people come to a FOOTBALL game and if the band is there it only can make it more excited. If the band doesn't play there is a 15 min. half and if they do play there is a 20 min. half. So remember Friday night 10,000 people are coming to Huntingdon to watch Milan and Huntingdon play football. Only a hand full of parents are coming to watch the band a halftime.

Huntingdon wins 24

Milan 14

Rebelsman,pepvol and Mapperman. I agree with your posts. Maryville's halftime show this year is the best ever at Maryville. They get standing ovations at every game.

I think Dobyns Bennett has a great band.

I also liked Pearl Cohn,Austin East and Melrose band.

Edited by REBELRON

Well, I've sat and read all the posts left by both sides. In all actuality all fans are going to a football game to support a school and community. Mostly all parents are there to support their children and watch them sport their chosen extracurricular activity; whether it is football, band, voluteering at the concession stand, the color guard, cheerleading, etc. It is a testamonial to schools and school personnel to offer more than one port for students to explore. I can also understand that their are some poor souls who go to a local high school football game as if they are re-living their high school years or have nothing else to do on a Friday night. I'm sure that the school happily accepts their money and uses it to support all extra-curricular activities at the school. It's only recently that local county schools have offered the opportunity to participate in something other than football or basketball. I think that anything that pulls a community together and gives students a memorable experience is great. This is high school we are talking about. If you go to all football games and support the local school good for you, but you also know that much is forgotten in only a few years. It's all in the moment. I applaud any and all schools who give thier students choices. Music is something that you can carry on for life. How many football players move on to college? or on to professional? This is all really moot. I have gone and watched football players as well as band members. I think both are great for students. If some people spent time helping their schools, instead of complaining about what they are offered as ANY type of entertainment and opportunity for students. Maybe our schools would be a better place. You pay $5, WOW! How about volunteering four hours one game out of the season? Why complain that students are enjoying and displaying something. If you don't like it, just ignore it.

Having a band at a game makes a big difference. They perform to their best and do generate energy.

However, my only complaint is having a flag thrown on you b/c the band takes too long in their halftime performance. We had that this year. It was homecoming. The band waited until after the homecoming ceremonies to perform the SAME routine that they had done all year long. It costed us 10 yards on the kick-off and we were receiving the kick.

There will always be some annimostiy between the band and football team at some schools. There is definately some at ours.

They get very upset when the team comes out of halftime and warm up in the endzones. I've heard parents say that the halftime is their time. This year we had to beg ours to play at a playoff game. They had the money to travel, just didn't want to. I guess your opinion on this subject depends on the relationship between the band and football team at your school.

jmatt,

If I can quote you,

They get very upset when the team comes out of halftime and warm up in the endzones.

I have seen that happen a few times. Too bad. Unfortunately, I have been to games where the visiting band didn't even get to play with the "home" team taking all the time...meaning the decision to play or not. "Not to play" was the best choice to keep the game going. Sorry to see things like that happen.

There has to be some unity there and among the kids I believe there really is. The band during the game is teriffic..needed and supportive. When a band doesn't play during the game, there is a feeling that some support is gone. Most teams want all the support they can get. That is why I yell loud! That is why I am glad to have the band playing during the game to support the events unfolding on the field.

Yep, each school has its own situation. All the kids need support and recognition. They pretty much have to do what the band director or coach says.

This Friday night I will be at a hot game and will be listening for the band when the team comes on the field and during the game. Halftime? That is memorized already and I will likely enjoy the visiting band or wander around to speak to buddies.

God Bless. Dart.

Tricklician Before you want to talk about only a handful of parents to watch the band students think about who's running the concession stand that you visit and who gives you free food when you officiate. Most band parents have to work during the ballgames and yes some of us would like to watch the game.