Maryville in State Championship

papa chaos

For those of you who are familiar with both Hillsboro and Melrose, who do you think the Rebels would fare best against: the team they've played before or a team they've not seen in person? The consensus opinion that I've heard is that both teams are more athletic than Maryville, and I am of the opinion that Hillsboro had the better team last year...but not the better program. So would Maryville's coaching staff, which is widely held to be one of the best if not the best in the state, prefer to square off against a team with real experience against them and the intricacies of their gameplans or a team that has only seen game film?

And before everyone jumps on me for looking past the Motown West game, let me provide the caveat that I am not a player or coach or anyone affiliated with the Maryville program and that my opinions are in no way indicative or reflective of the MHS football program's and that I am just a fan who has seen both teams and who believes Maryville will win Friday night. I'm sure GQ will have his boys prepared to not look past Morristown. I'm not interested in talk about that game, only preponderance of what might be in Murfressboro. Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you guys miss the part where I said I wasn't interested in hearing about Motown and Mville? I've already got my own opinions about that one.

What I'm saying is IF Maryville wins THEN who would be the more interesting matchup in the boro? I'd love to hear thoughts on that subject.

Disclaimer: My personal feelings have no bearing on Friday night's game and thinking ahead by non-related parties has no effect on Friday night's outcome. The same would not be true if said of those in the contest.

Thanks.

Papa I see your point as do most of the Maryville faithful. It is just many times Our Maryville Red Rebels get accused of looking past teams, and I can tell you this does not happen under this coaching staff or the leadership the team enjoys. Maryville is rightly focused upon another great team in Morristown West, there is no tomorrow!

I think Morristown West or Maryville would match-up well vs. any team from the Western side of the state. I do think it will take a well balanced offence to defeat any team that makes it to the borro this year and Maryville plays a balanced attack unless the opponent is weak in some area that is exposed during the contest. We’ll talk about any contest next week, but for now I'll be heading to MoTown Friday night with my rain slicker on!

Yeah there is no way maryville should look past MoWest. They have some HUGE players on D and are very talented and run the ball hard. Other than the fact that they do not run the wing T, they are alot like Hillsboro, as far as defensive size is concerned with the exceptions of a few linebackers and backs. The size of maryville's defense is at a great disatvantage against either team, but especially hillsboro with the return of their running backs who are absolute monsters. I think even Cole McKinney had trouble with them last year and he wieghed 300 lbs. Hillsboro has been very effective running the ball and i heard that they can throw the ball also this year which is also a threat.

I do not know that much about Melrose but i hear they are faster than lightning. This kind of a matchup does not favor maryville at all because without dave garner, our fastest player now is logan flowers who runs somewhere in the mid 4.5's. Plus Melrose has posted something like 6 or 7??? shut outs this year, so that is extremely impresive and i am sure they have some good linemen in there too. On Offense they have two running backs that are huge and extremely fast. They are both extremely good and i hear the quarterback is supposed to be pretty fast too.

so on paper, theres no way maryville can match up against either one of these teams..................on paper. As far as heart is concerned, Maryville probably has more heart on the field than both teams combined, and when you get right down to it, its that heart and the fight of who wants it more that is going to win ballgames. go rebs!

I do not know that much about Melrose but i hear they are faster than lightning.  This kind of a matchup does not favor maryville at all because without dave garner, our fastest player now is logan flowers who runs somewhere in the mid 4.5's.  Plus Melrose has posted something  like 6 or 7??? shut outs this year, so that is extremely impresive and i am sure they have some good linemen in there too.  On Offense they have two running backs that are huge and extremely fast.  They are both extremely good and i hear the quarterback is supposed to be pretty fast too.

Crkjon:

As a Melrose follower, I've seen them play 5 times this year. All good competition. This team has a balanced offense and a stingy, hard hitting defense.

One thing though, their RB's are not big guys .... extremely fast, swift, and strong, yes. Big ... no.

It is my opinion, and I make it a point to see a lot of high school football. There aren't too many teams in the state, regardless of classification or division, that will get into the end zone against this defense, on a regular basis.

That's just my opinion though. Go check the TSSAA web site and review the teams that they have played. You will see, only one team has scored more then twice against them in a game. Only ... including the playoffs. I believe the Hillsboro game will be similar. Hillsboro won't score more then 2 times, if that many. Again, my opinion.

I've never seen Maryville, so I don't know how they would match up. I do know that Melrose has a smothering, fast, tenacious, disciplined D, and a balanced, explosive, play maker filled O.

Yes ... they are faster then lighting ... in every position, even linemen, relative to linemen of course.