Maryville

crkjon

Redtwin Posted on Nov 26 - 08:32 PM

Most of the people who put out these polls have been following high school football for 10 or 15 years. They travel weekly and have staffs to go see other games. 

hahahaha!!! one word for ya redtwin ....... BULL !!!

I could care less about a national poll , only a team that is ranked would try to justify one of these polls. it's not a poll i care about , it's a gold ball .

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that national polls are subject to debate. However, please don't discredit MBA because they get national attention (3 times in 5 years) and Maryville doesn't.

I have no problems with Maryville and enjoy many of the Maryville posts. However, with all due respect, we are at times regaled with the success of Maryville junior high and peewee teams. If we hear about those, I'm sure we'd get a healthy taste of where Maryville High School stands if they were to be nationally ranked.

One Maryville fan posted a link to the Tony Poll on this thread. I know the "Gold Ball" is the goal at Maryville; I'd also be quite surprised if there were not many more MHS fans like mapperman checking USA Today out every Tuesday looking for the latest rankings.

Edited by rollredroll

Redtwin Posted on Nov 26 - 08:32 PM

Most of the people who put out these polls have been following high school football for 10 or 15 years. They travel weekly and have staffs to go see other games.

hahahaha!!! one word for ya redtwin ....... BULL !!!

I could care less about a national poll , only a team that is ranked would try to justify one of these polls. it's not a poll i care about , it's a gold ball .

Do some research, you'll find that Dave Krider (Student Sports, formerly of USAToday), Chris Lawlor (USAToday), and Tony Bianco (Tony Poll), have their fair share of credibilty, as do the local sportswriters all over the country they share information with.

Redtwine, I guess you know how many high schools there are in America.

It really doesnt matter how many high schools there are. It matters how many good teams there are. They narrow down their lists to high profile teams and go from there. They really only have to look for undefeated or one loss teams, and that greatly reduces their list. Your assumption holds true with the preseason polls because there really isn't much to base the list on except the success of the previous year's team and the players returning, which is why many teams like trinity and shelbyville drop out. If you stop and rationally think about it, however, it's not that hard to compare across classifications or state borders.

I'd also be quite surprised if there were not many more MHS fans like mapperman checking USA Today out every Tuesday looking for the latest rankings

Couldn't be more true. Sounds like some fans may be bitter because they haven't made the list yet.

Edited by Redtwin

I guess we could argue about the polls unil the end of time. The bottom line is, they can't be proven accurate, and in the end they mean nothing. I would rather win a State Championship than be ranked #1 in the nation by any national high school poll.

I wouldn't pick on Maryville to much, they have been the best high school team in the state for the past three years, and have the record (and gold balls) to prove it.

No other school in the state can claim that.

PS: Im not a Maryville fan.

You hit it on the head. The national polls are opinions generated by well informed people that will never be proven to be absolutely correct. Are they accurrate? Absolutely. Is the #1 team really better than the #2 team or the #25 team for that matter? Maybe not. Probably, but not neccessarily. The point is that those teams named probably are 25 of the best teams in the country. Winning a state championship is obviously every team's goal. A national ranking is just something that comes along with it, and i'd venture to say that every team in the top 25 wins that gold ball. I don't have any problems with maryville. they run a great program over there, and quarles in one heck of a coach. same is true for dobyns bennet. who is the best team in the state? another topic that will be endlessly debated. that being said, there's no need to discredit a school that does get recognition just because another doesn't. by the way, maryville might not be getting much love from unapproved website.com, but tony bianco has given them some respect.

Edited by Redtwin