Giles County Lady Bobcats

sds2004

The Giles County Lady Bobcats don't seem to be getting the support they deserve from the students. This is a very talented team. They play with alot of heart and determination. At the Lawerence County game, there were lots of students there during the girls' game. (I am sure they came early to get a seat for the boys' game...this is sad!) These girls' who have proved to be a very talented team in the past were given very little, if any, support. I, personally, stood up for the majority of the game, and was told to sit down, at was actually pulled down into my seat two occasions. This is pathetic. The Giles County Lady Bobcats deserve respect and support from the students. When one minute was left on the clock, the fans had the gall to chant "One more minute." I understand being hyped about the guys game, but come on, they were still playing. I was even told as the fans came down after the girls' game to line up for the guys to run out, that some of the ballplayers were actually pushed out of the way. I am very glad that the guys have support, but it seems as if we, the students of GCHS, could at least show the girls some respect.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry to here about this sds2004. Your girls do deserve more respect. They are a great team and your students should support them. A lot of times however when the boys' teams are good, such as Giles Co., the fans treat the girls' game simply as a preliminary to the main event. Maybe your post on the boys' board will draw attention to this problem and maybe your girls will get more support in their next game.

I'm glad to see that someone has the guts to stand up for the Lady Bobcats. It seems like everyone else is scared to b/c they are afraid if they do support the girls, like they do the guys, then they would be considered uncool. As most of you out there may or may not have realized, the opposing teams' fans actually cheer just as much for their girls as they do for their guys. I can understand that the guys game can be more exciting than the girls b/c of their capabilities to dunk but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't give the girls team the respect they deserve. And I'm sure they're not going to come out next game dunking just to get it either. They have worked just as hard as anyone to prepare for this season and from what I know they practice twice a day. After every game the girls play they come out and give the guys so much support. In my opinion last year many of the guys games were won due to the support of the fans. Don't you think that maybe the girls could have won the other night with our support. They weren't down by much and it only takes a little positive encouragement to get a teams adrenaline pumping. I'm also very disappointed with the students b/c when the girls were still playing you guys were yelling "one minute left." I looked down at the girls team and saw tears in some of their eyes b/c of the way you were treating them. And then you have the nerve to rush the floor practically hitting every ball player just to form a spirit line for the guys to run out through. In my eyes the student section needs to improve on their school spirit and their respect for the girls team.

Edited by daisyduke

Thanks for your comments daisyduke. I know I will be supporting your Lady Bobcats tomorrow & Saturday when they play Oliver Springs at 7:45 and then Tishomingo Co., MS on Sat again at 7:45 in the Lawrence Co. Lady Cats Thanksgiving Classic. Good luck Lady Bobcats.

I know you find it strange that I would support Giles Co. in anything, but I like to see our district's teams win against other non-district teams. It gives our district more credibility at tournament time in March.

Edited by PageMan

Thanks for your support Pageman. I am sure if any of the lady bobcats read this they will appreciate it. And I just hope that some of my fellow classmates at GCHS see these posts and realize how much it would mean to the girls if they had a little support.

Oh yeah, just wondering if you are at student at Page?

Edited by sds2004

daisy duke that was heartfelt and true. however, i dont think you should have bash the boys team ( missing a dunk) because the students didnt hold heartly support the girls team. i am #1 giles county fan and i was yelling for the girls. but dont come on here and bash the boys cause of the lack of fans support. i think that everything you said was so true except ( the missing the dunk) i could point out some mistakes that the girls made but then i wouldnt be right either. so stick to your point without the comment direct towards the teams.

ps this was a constructive post so please dont bash me. much love

defense wins championship, offense put the fans in the stands

I feel that when the Lady Bobcats give the student section something to cheer about , then they will. Here are a few other reasons why the students at GCHS are so eager to cheer for the guys and not the girls.

1.) The men have the #1 high school player in the COUNTRY.

2.) At one point the men had 25+ straight wins

3.) The men have a 3-point shooter who rarely misses.

And I personally believe a missed dunk in a guys game would be a highlight over any event in a girls game.

In a time when women want equal rights.........let's give it to them, make them earn the fans. Don't get on here and bash the students for being bored with the girls.

In no way am I bashing the students; I AM A STUDENT who admittedly gets more hyped for the guys than the girls, for all the reasons you stated meanjeanjr. All I am saying with this post is that the girls deserve respect. I don't expect the students to cheer as much for the girls as they do for the guys, but they should show some respect...i.e. not pushing them out of the way. That is all.

I feel that when the Lady Bobcats give the student section something to cheer about , then they will. Here are a few other reasons why the students at GCHS are so eager to cheer for the guys and not the girls.

1.) The men have the #1 high school player in the COUNTRY.

2.) At one point the men had 25+ straight wins

3.) The men have a 3-point shooter who rarely misses.

And I personally believe a missed dunk in a guys game would be a highlight over any event in a girls game.

In a time when women want equal rights.........let's give it to them, make them earn the fans. Don't get on here and bash the students for being bored with the girls.

#1 high school player in the country?

well i guess everyone is entitiled to their opinion. Not even the best player in the state.

sds2004 i'm glad you said what you did because you are RIGHT and every student that comes to the see just the boys game should read this and think about it . I remember 2 years ago when the boys could not make it out of the region the girls went to the the state tourney and the students were there. But last year the girls got no support from the student section. I was at the Giles game in Lawrence County the other night and the student section for Lawrence Co. supported the girls and the boys. When i see topics on here asking who has the best student section and people from Giles Co. get on here and say they have the best student section it makes me think how can you have the best section when you just support half your teams playing that night. I over heard a man from Giles Co. make a comment the other night that bothered me he said during the girls game that's the bad part about getting here early is you have to set through the girls game. I bet if he had a girl playing he would feel different about that comment. Giles Co. you have a rare chance to support 2 very good teams give the girls the respect they have earned. Go Lady Bobcats and also the Bobcats.

The fans should support both teams... some schools have this very same problem and the boys may not even have as much success as the girls... there are a lot of girls teams that have twice as many wins as their guys programs but the fans still show up for the guys game.... this confuses me.

And P.S. to MeanJeanJr:

The #1 player in the STATE of Tennessee for the Class of 2005 (of which I am assuming that you place 'the #1 player in the country' aka Tyler Smith) is Reginald Delk...... not Tyler Smith. The number 1 player in the country is Tasmin Mitchell, Tyler doesn't appear on most lists until after the top ten.... he is a great player and he will get lots of scholarship offers, but the facts should be straight :justwrestle: