Special Project---The Great Divide

but i do have one question;

while everyone was together, todays d-1 privates racked up a 70% winning percentage against today's d-2 privates, in the football playoffs. if they have such big advantages, why did they lose more than 2/3 of the games?

I hardly recall many current DI private vs. current DII private matchups in the old playoff system. I'd like to see the actual games/results to which you are referring to have a better idea about the sample size (quantity and quality of that sample).

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the problem I have with this whole thing: how is it fair that a group with an obvious #'s advantage (public schools) can just "decide" that they want to kick private schools out by means of a vote they are just about guaranteed to win? Where is the due diligence here? How is it so easy for the public schools to pull this off?

In other words, it should require some actual research and debate and presentation of facts to accomplish a full-blown split (which will in essence end the athletics programs of some of the lesser known private schools, like Nashville Christian)...it is ludicrous, IMO, that based on inconclusive data "we lose to private schools every year, despite how 'good' we are" the private schools are subject to this type of "democracy."

that said, I firmly believe that private schools should be playing above their enrollment #'s in most cases.

this is the problem I have with this whole thing: how is it fair that a group with an obvious #'s advantage (public schools) can just "decide" that they want to kick private schools out by means of a vote they are just about guaranteed to win? Where is the due diligence here? How is it so easy for the public schools to pull this off?

In other words, it should require some actual research and debate and presentation of facts to accomplish a full-blown split (which will in essence end the athletics programs of some of the lesser known private schools, like Nashville Christian)...it is ludicrous, IMO, that based on inconclusive data "we lose to private schools every year, despite how 'good' we are" the private schools are subject to this type of "democracy."

that said, I firmly believe that private schools should be playing above their enrollment #'s in most cases.

IF the TSSAA is a state actor(as the BA under review lawsuit ruling says) then why should the TSSAA consider the needs of non-public, non state funded schools?

very good roilred,

indeed, there were only 10 games, and all involved the current d-1 little napoleans against the weak sisters of the d-2. i was just afraid that if i didnt distort some data i might get kicked out of the public private debate!

small sample size, and not a great distribution. but it makes as much sense as whining about playing baylor & ba, when it is pretty obvious that wouldnt happen.

and thanks for calling me on it. i would have hated to have to wait & fess up later.

Get of your high horse and come back to reality.

Dismounting :blink:

Ok, instead of saying one 'set' of schools have an advantage, lets try to agree that each 'set' of schools has differences. So, the 'level playing field' isn't 'non-flat' because of advantage and disadvantages, but because of differences in student makeups, economics, politics, area of coverage and etc... No matter what causes the 'field' to be 'non-flat', it is 'non-flat' just the same....

So the question seems to be, do you use a spoon, shovel or bulldozer to fill in the holes?

Ok, I got in on this article kinda late, but I have a major question that may have already been discussed. I know that most publics won't give a flip about the privates once they leave, but what happens to all of these privates. Are the tentative districts and classes that the Jackson Sun has posted actually going to happen like that? In my opinion, those classes and districts are lopsided. It seems like TSSAA would realign the the enrollment requirements so that A, AA, and AAA would ALL have the same number of teams (this would mean NO superseven). Because 16, 24, and 7 is not a good break-up.

And the non-football districts look horrid when you see 2 different districts, one with 5 teams, and the other with 11 teams. I guess this part would be a little harder to adjust since everything is affected by metro areas (maybe they would adjust it by the number of teams representing each region in playoffs).

david, I think you have made a lot of good points actually. Same to VolG. I think the only answer is that there are no easy answers. I think first of all, we shouldn't just knee-jerk into a hasty decision again. We should challenge both sides to gather data and perform due diligence and present their respective arguments...I say again that everyone loses if the best answer we can come up with is "let's kick the private schools out alltogether," without any deeper analysis than "the private schools beat us every year, so let's get rid of the private schools." Why not explore ways to make the public schools better so that they can compete with the private schools?

ok, i didnt have time earlier, here are the d-1 vs d-2 playoff games:

1982 Mem Catholic 21 FRA 14 (D2 1-0)

1985 1st Assy Christian 15 Memphis Prep 7 (1-1)

1989 USJ 6 Bishop Byrne 3 (D-1 2-1)

1990 FRA 28 Knoxville Webb 24 (D-1 3-1)

1991 USJ 32 Bishop Byrne 14 (D-1 4-1)

1992 USJ 28 St Benedict 6 (D-1 5-1)

1996 St Benedict 17 NCS 0 (D-1 5-2)

BGA 21 Boyd Buchanan 7 (D-1 5-3)

DCA 13 BGA 6 (D-1 6-3)

DCA 51 St Benedict 3 (D-1 7-3)

corrections are welcome.

doesnt look like the financial aid was doing the D-2 schools all that much good.

Here is another fly in the ointment for those who are concerned about having a level playing field. Thanks to FHSrebel27 for the link.

http://www.newschannel5.com/content/news/2946.asp

Please note:

These are the Metro schools accepting tranfers:

High Schools:Maplewood, Pearl-Cohn, Stratford, Whites Creek

Isn't that interesting? Some pretty fair football programs in this group. Surely no one will take advantage of this opportunity to transfer to one of these schools for athletics purposes!!

Looks like these guys will have an unfair advantage!