Gerry Bertier's Weekly Statewide Top Ten

Gerry Bertier

1. Montgomery Bell Academy (11-1)- Best of the Best

Next Game: DII-3A State Champions

2. Brentwood Academy (10-2)- Poor showing in State Championship game, but still second best team in the state.

Next Game:DII-3A State Runner-up

3. Germantown (13-1)- After seeing them in person, there is no doubt they are the best in 5A.

Next Game: Riverdale in 5A Championship Game

4. Christian Brothers (9-2)- Only losses to the best two teams in the state, also beat # 3 Germantown.

Next Game: Season Over

5. Riverdale (12-2)- Riverdale back in familar territory playing for the 5A Championship

Next Game: Germantown in 5A Championship Game

6. Lincoln Co. (12-1)- Still can't believe they lost.

7.Hillsboro (13-1)- Could this finally be the year of the Burro?

Next Game- Morristown West in 4A Championship Game

8. Maryville(13-1)- Wow!! They finally lost. Questions now arise in Blount County about the coaching situation.

9. Franklin (11-3)- Made school history but couldn't match the feat of Brentwood.

10. Morristown West (11-3)- If you beat Maryville you have to be in the State's top ten.

Next Game: Hillsboro in 4A Championship Game

Others Recieiving Votes: Melrose, Fulton, Covington, Lipscomb

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

brothers15, I thought you would say that. Thanks for the compliment on the the poll. Glad people enjoy it.

I don't think it is a poll. It is a ranking...one person's opinion.

There is no logical reason to think that MBA, BA or Christian Brothers could beat Riverdale or Hillsboro.

The coaching staffs at Riverdale and Hillsboro are equal to the other coaching staffs. Throw in the athletes, and there is no way to rank any of the top two teams above the top two teams in 5A and 4A.

A Hillsboro Freshman team hasn't scored on an MBA freshman team in the last five years. I know its frosh ball but that does lead one to believe that MBA might fair pretty well. MBA met up with Riverdale in the preseason and things got pretty out of control and I doubt that much changed over the course of the year.Also, The MBA coaching staff is superior to Hillsboro's. Coach Adeylotte (sp?) is a good coach, but Rutledge has been offered NFL and Head NCAA coaching positions, not to mention Caudill and Elliot who could be a head coach at almost any school they applied. I would bet that MBA, BA, CBHS and Germantown are the top 4 teams in the state in that order.

I know that they did not play this year and maybe not last year but I'm sure dan will get on here and clarify. I know the MBA frosh have won every game dating back to at least 95, probably earlier.

Also, after watching the hillsboro v melrose game, i noticed there was a major difference in the complexity of schemes run by those teams and mba. hillsboro and melrose both had lots of stud athletes, definitely college caliber, but the offenses and defenses seemed very simple. it almost looked like "run left" or "pass right." That's just my opninion, but it looked really basic too me. Then again, their athleticism may overcome that. As for Riverdale, their offense and defense were a little more advanced last time i saw them, but mba has beaten them in scrimmages several times including this year. special teams would go mba's way in either game.

Edited by Redtwin

I know that they did not play this year and maybe not last year but I'm sure dan will get on here and clarify. I know the MBA frosh have won every game dating back to at least 95, probably earlier.

Also, after watching the hillsboro v melrose game, i noticed there was a major difference in the complexity of schemes run by those teams and mba. hillsboro and melrose both had lots of stud athletes, definitely college caliber, but the offenses and defenses seemed very simple. it almost looked like "run left" or "pass right." That's just my opninion, but it looked really basic too me. Then again, their athleticism may overcome that. As for Riverdale, their offense and defense were a little more advanced last time i saw them, but mba has beaten them in scrimmages several times including this year. special teams would go mba's way in either game.

redtwin,

In one post you wrote that Hillsboro's freshman had not scored on MBA in five years, and in another you wrote that they haven't played each other in the past year or two. I guess you can't score on a team if you don't play them. Is that your logic?

There is nothing simple about Hillsboro's offense. "Run left" or "pass right"? You're kidding right?

Does MBA run both left and right, and pass both right and left?