TSSAA - unspeakable

Guest 4th&goal

The TSSAA is not cheating your kids. Winning is not the only benefit gained from participation in high school athletics. As you undoubtedly know, your kids will learn many invaluable lessons during their time on the team, regardless of the success they acheive. They are in no way robbed just because they face tough competition, because competition is only a small part of the athletic experience. Winning isn't everything.

If it isn't the only benefit what does Boyd, Lipscomb, Goodpasture insist on playing public schools? They know they can't compete $$$$$$$$ against the richer private schools MBA, Brentwood Academy, Baylor, McCallie etc

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wesvoles & itchme

so tell me this, what message did gluepasture & lipscum send to their kids when they jumped back from d-2 to d-1, to AVOID tough competition?

They stayed in DII long enough to recruit the best athletes possible legally then they turned around with those same athletes they recruited legally while in DII and beat the pants off the DI schools for the next 4 years. Look at the results the next 4 years immediately after going from DII to DI.

But I guess it was for academic reasons and not athletics. :P

Edited by bill#73

It is inevitable that the public school community must remove itself from the TSSAA. Regardless of the creative math by the TSSAA and the private sector, actually one in the same, the majority of members wanted a split.

The worst part, the TSSAA is cheating my kids. I know, better coaching in the private sector is the reason they win. They work harder. How many championships have David Martin and Scott Smith won at private schools? (At least 3) What about their public school tenures (0). What was their record? You don't want to know. I went to a public school and I'm smart enough to figure that out.

You, sir, are speaking with your heart and passions and not with your brain. The TSSAA is not cheating your kids...Might I remind you that the PUBLIC schools have the control of the Legislative Council at TSSAA? Do I need to remind you that they voted as a board should- based on the good for the whole group? Your "kids" are being cheated out of a good life lesson that things aren't always easy when their coach gets on a message board and whines about being cheated. Do you feel cheated when congress doesn't vote the way the majority of Americans feel?

Lazurus, can you avoid the second-grade tactic of spelling things in an insulting fashion and join our grown-up conversation.

Bill73, first, recruiting wasn’t allowed in D-II when goodpasture was in and it isn’t now…but…whether they recruited or not, the moment they went to Division I they had to take all the financial aid away from athletes since that is not allowed. You obviously don’t understand what is going on here.

And also Bill, for your records, Lipscomb was never in Division II, so if they recruited, then they did it in D-I. If you can prove it then turn them in…if not, keep quiet!

Everyone tries to make the private schools of Tennessee look like the Nazis invading Poland…when it all boils down to the truth, this should all be about lessons learned on the field…and the lesson learned is ultimately that everyschool is not going to be a winner…for one reason or another, there will be schools that aren’t as good as others, but turning this into a finger pointing contest is wrong. These whining people need to look in the mirror and figure out what the problem really is…

Let’s all just play together and stop all this “It’s my ball so that’s why I am going home” crap.

Edited by wildcatfan

Bill 73

It's getting to be a habit with you. You have your "facts" wrong again (and if you didn't they wouldn't make sense.) Lessee the players Lipscomb "recruited" would be 14th graders last year (their first championship.)

Not only is this untrue about the motives and timing of the change to DI, you drug in several other schools whose circumstances were more well known.

Boyd, CPA, etc.. play DI 1A because that is where the TSSAA put them. Period.

If it isn't the only benefit what does Boyd, Lipscomb, Goodpasture insist on playing public schools?  They know they can't compete $$$$$$$$ against the richer private schools MBA, Brentwood Academy, Baylor, McCallie etc

You're right! They can't compete with those schools. They don't have the money to give any tuition breaks to athletes.

Private schools are not perfect. However, most of the small ones are church based. People send their kids there because they can still pray at school or before a football game. Also you have no "board of education employees" (sometimes called teachers) at private schools. I am not saying all the teachers are perfect, but there is no such thing as tenure. If you can't cut it you are out... not just moved from school to school until people quit complaining. The publics can't do that because of the bureaucracy.

It was hard to leave the public system, but we did. We left for a number of reasons. However, we, like most of the folks we know, do not feel like we are better or too good for the public system. We feel like the fact that the teachers are all dedicate Christians who are motivated to teach and the class room size is smaller are fair reasons to switch.

My wife and I both attended public schools and we turned out alright. Our choice is to give our kids the opportunity to attend a school that we feel is best for them.

You are saying that because of our choice we should not be able to play sports against the public schools.

I agree that, based on recent success, there seems to be some advantage.

From being in both a public and private high school setting, I think it is attitude and work ethic. My experience has been that a high percentage of the private school team participates in off-season conditioning. I am not saying that there are no public school students with a good work ethic. I am speaking in general terms about the percentage of the players that are giving 100%. I know that the "big stars" did just about what they wanted to do when the wanted to do it in the public setting. I also know that the public school had several "groups" within the team. I have seen with my own eyes situations where guys did not block for someone because they were mad at him for some reason. In the private setting the team is more like a family. Everyone is pulling for the common good. The coaches stress team work and being a team. The young guys are to be taught by the older guys. The older guys do not just consider them living, breathing, blocking dummies.

Just one mans experience here.

I have no problem with a multiplier. Do I think it is fair? No. But if it makes you feel like it is fair then that is what I feel should be done. I believe that I should wrong myself before I allow you to perceive that you have been wronged by me.

Edited by smithke

wesvoles & itchme

so tell me this, what message did gluepasture & lipscum send to their kids when they jumped back from d-2 to d-1, to AVOID tough competition?

First of all your disrespect is almost laughable but really quite sad...you don't see private school people making fun of public schools, their kids, or their school names.

Secondly they didn't "jump back from d2 to d1". They removed themselves from d2 because they like most private schools in Tennessee don't have any or very many kids on financial aid. Get it right or shut it up.

Ticked off BC signing off...

Edited by Baldcoach

If it isn't the only benefit what does Boyd, Lipscomb, Goodpasture insist on playing public schools? They know they can't compete $$$$$$$$ against the richer private schools MBA, Brentwood Academy, Baylor, McCallie etc

They don't "insist" Bill...get it through your head...they have always played the schedules they play now. It is the Publics that want to change things...quit playing the injured party.

signing off again...

wesvoles & itchme

First of all your disrespect is almost laughable but really quite sad...you don't see private school people making fun of public schools, their kids, or their school names.

Secondly they didn't "jump back from d2 to d1". They never went d2 because they like most private schools in Tennessee don't have any or very many kids on financial aid. Get it right or shut it up.

Ticked off BC signing off...

Goodpasture was in D-II and then moved back down to D-I...David Lipscomb was never in D-II...I am just clarifying what you posted BC. I agree with you 100%!

Edited by wildcatfan