HUNTINGDON MUSTANG

greenheadhunter

When you have almost freezing temps, a constant light mist of rain and some wind and Huntingdon has a team with young men that have the determination to play and win like the one that played last night with a sore throat and running a fever, and sick in bed this morning, there is no way they could wind up as anything but the state champions. That young man was #71 Cliff Bush Offensive Left Tackle and his mom and I are very proud of him.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Huntingdon. You played a great game and deserve to be called champions. I posted on here after the Lipscomb/Tyner game that Lipscomb's line was small, but played with a lot of intensity and quickness. Tonight, Huntingdon's line played with great size AND quickness. While speed kills, speed with size destroys. Last year, Lipscomb had a big, physical line. This year's team didn't have that. Lipscomb looked much smaller than I remembered from last year. Their coach mentioned that in the pre-game show. He said 6 of 7 linemen from last year graduated. He talked about finesse. Huntingdon's smash mouth style and size was a throwback to how football is typically played in the West.

I can't help but wonder what the people (like the guy from Sweetwater) who said Lipscomb had assembled an unbeatable team from all over middle Tennessee think now? Was it really that Lipscomb was unbeatable, or is 2A in the East in a down year? When Lipscomb beat the best teams in the East, some of them cried foul-Lipscomb must have unfair advantages. Just think what Huntingdon (or Milan) would have done to most of the other teams on the East side of the bracket tonight. (Does that mean that Huntingdon doesn't belong in 2A? Of course not.) It appears that the West is king and the East side of the state has a lot of work to do to catch up.

Enjoy the win Mustangs.

Edited by TedLNancy

In the Jackson Sun this morning, Mansfield and Pritchard said they had no plans to retire. I love it when the Jackson Sun has to print great things about us, don't ya know it was killing them. Ha

I didn't think they'd retire but I also don't think they can keep this staff together. They're a pretty young group aren't they?

I'm from Humboldt & I admit I didn't think Huntingdon would beat Lipscomb.I felt Milan had a better chance but I'm thrilled to be proved wrong.Clearly the 2A title was decided in Paul Ward Stadium in the semis & I think Milan would have won as well.But,of course,the important point is that Huntingdon earned its 34-29 win over Milan & made West TN proud by dismantling Lipscomb.Congratulations Huntingdon on your 2A State Championship!

To all those "Who Believed" before last night, it was great. Obviously, the kids made believers out of a lot more folks with their incredible performance. One of the most impressive things of this championship run was the victories over 3 consecutive unbeaten teams to win the title. First, Lewis Co. in the quarters was 12-0. Then Milan in the semis was 13-0. And of course, Lipscomb was 14-0 going into last nights game. Can anyone ever remember that happening before?

As well as the kids played, as much credit goes to Coaches Mansfield, Prichard and Swenson. They watched the films, devised a game plan and stood back and watched the kids execute to near perfection. Fantastic job! A great win for the Mustangs and the town of Huntingdon which I don't think will die down any time soon.

I suggested last night giving the game tape to the Court Theater and letting them show it for a few nights. I guarantee the biggest crowds they've had in a long time!!

Love them 'Stangs!!!!!

Edited by BrewVol

This Huntingdon team was extremely similar to the DL team of last year. They flew low under the radar with no one giving them a chance all year. They knocked off some tough teams in the playoffs and they def. deserved the state champ. I'll admit, what happened Friday night was one of the last things I could have pictured. I figured that Hutingdon MAY win, but never like that. Hunt came out quick and put the pressure on DL. #80 is the quickest off the line I have seen all year. Elrod couldn't even take a step before he was in the backfield. Kudos to the Hutingdon coaching staff, their game plan was excellent. THe Hunt defensive backfield is the ONLY backfield that has stopped us this year. DL was an excellent team, but, Huntingdon had the athletes AND the discipline that propelled them to a win. Also, it was impressive to look across the field and see a ton of Huntingdon fans. You guys were up cheering hard on every play, something that a lot of the DL fans(excluding students) don't do. Huntingdon played a great game, it all started with their dominant offensive and defensive line play. All of DL's turnovers def helped Huntingdon, but without them I still think Huntingdon wins cause DL couldn't get much going. To all DL players, this has been the most fun I have had watching our team play in 8 years. To all opposing fans on coacht, thanks for the chance to go back and forth with all the trash talking, it was a lot of fun, I just wish I had been able to make one more post. Congrats to both Mustang teams.

I suggested last night giving the game tape to the Court Theater and letting them show it for a few nights. I guarantee the biggest crowds they've had in a long time!!

Love them 'Stangs!!!!!

Wonderful idea. I think the "I Believe" video needs a little editing now to add on those boys holding up the gold ball at the end too!!!!

:D:D:)