biggest travesty in high school basketball?

golfer01

I sat and pondered this topic for only a minute or so before I decided on the answer... Referees control on a basketball game. It is outrageous that so much control is given to them without consequences to thier actions on the basketball floor. I'm sure many will agree that it is extremely unfair to those players who pour their lives into basketball so that they give their teams the best chance of winning, only to have it taken away from them by a crew of three referees. So who is to blame for these discrepancies? shouldn't each crew be accountable for thier actions? This would only make logical sense, but lets face it crooked referees are put onto games by crooked managing officials within the TSSAA organization, who are also governed by "higher ups" that are just as crooked as they are. Who is to blame for the referees control, the whole TSSAA organization as a whole who are only out for the enjoyment of themselves instead of establishing an organization that produces quality referees so that the individual competitiors have control of their teams winning and not the three man crew of referees. That is in a nut shell the biggest travesty in high school basketball.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF TSSAA WOULD GO BACK TO ONLY 2 OFFICIALS IN A GAME THEN THERE WOULD NOT BE AS BIG OF A COMPETITION TO GET THEIR CALLS IN. EVER SINCE TSSAA WENT TO 3 OFFICIALS, GAMES HAVE BECOME PICKY AN UNPLEASANT TO WATCH. GOTO KENTUCKY OR GEORGIA AND WATCH A GAME, THEY LET THE BOYS PLAY.

FOR YOUR POST ON CROOKED REFS, WELL THAT IS CRAP. I DONT ANYONE IN TSSAA CARES ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL TEAMS WINNING OR LOSING. THEY JUST SEND WHOEVER IS WILL TO GOTO PLACES. AND JUST THINK THEY GIVE REFS $4O A GAME THIS YEAR INSTEAD OF 35

temper, what exactly do you want me to discuss on a discussion board that is intended for high school basketball, isn't that the point of this board, if it was a board for the war in Iraq, i would discuss the war in Iraq.

and for mcneeley06, i agree with you about the 2 man crew, but if you have watched some of the games i've watched over my time you can definitely see crews that will make calls against a certain team, you don't have to agree with me, but if you haven't watched all the 3 classes of basketball over the 3 areas of the state then there is no way of you actually knowing.

The only post i have a problem with on this board is the first post by golfer. I'm fine with you speaking your mind about basketball but it just seemed you were too passionate about it and it seems to me it would be better to put that passion in to other more important things. And by the way i have no political savvy whatsoever just because i stated that the men dying overseas was a travesty doesn't have a bit to do with politics.

Edited by temper

Golfer, You have a good point. There will always be crooked people in organizations it's a fact of life. You can always dream though of a world of honest people. Another thing that affects officals is the game itself. No matter how good your intentions are going into the game if you get a loud bunch of fans yelling at you due to a bad call or players talking back your mind set about what is fair or not will change. It is human nature yelling at officals will not swing things your way. If anything they will work against you...there again human nature. To temper your name is no joke get off Golfer for using the word travesty, but as for overseas I don't follow overseas basketball but i bet the officals are the same there. haha

I saw one referee who is over 60 call four straight games 2 JV and 2 varsity Antioch vs. Hillsboro he can barely make it up and down the floor for one game

although he is a decent ref. the result was one ref trying to cover for the other two

and in the girls varsity game the freethrows were 33 to3 .This is unfair to the athletes and should be stopped by the ref association.